Brewer Fanatic

Melvin comments on 1250 WSSP

Invader3K

Surprised there wasn't a topic on this yet. I got this info from MLB Trade Rumors.

Brewers GM Doug Melvin said on 1250 WSSP in Milwaukee that he's glad he didn't go after some of the free agent arms that were available last offseason. Here's the clip and here are the details:

• Melvin admits that pitchers like John Smoltz and Oliver Perez were tempting, but says he's glad he resisted.
  • The Brewers were interested in Jarrod Washburn at the deadline, but didn't have enough young pitching to complete a deal with the Mariners.
  • The Brewers were in on the Roy Halladay sweepstakes, but were reluctant to give up Alcides Escobar and Mat Gamel.
  • Melvin sounds hesitant to experiment with Rickie Weeks in center field.
  • The Brewers will have some "some flexibility" to add free agents this offseason.
  • Melvin expects the Red Sox to pursue free agent position players aggressively.
  • As of today, Melvin says he's not motivated to move J.J. Hardy, but hints that the Brewers could move him after the season to make room for Alcides Escobar.
  • Melvin's pleased with the progress 2009 first rounder Eric Arnett has made.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Very interesting interview. As soon as he said he wasnt "motivated" to move Hardy I knew that he wont be here much longer. Sounds like he knows our pitching is awful and he even sounded like Kendall could be replaced but maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part.

He said he didn't necessarily see Weeks as a good fit in center fielder because he's a "power runner" (think Rickey Henderson) rather than a "tall, rangy, long-strider" (think Mike Cameron). He said moving Weeks to CF has been discussed within the organziation basically since he came to the big leagues and that some think he would be good out there.

He did say a lineup with both Lopez and Weeks would be attractive, said his "stat guy" would call it a good start to a "sequential lineup".

Very interesting interview. As soon as he said he wasnt "motivated" to move Hardy I knew that he wont be here much longer.

That's assuming Melvin is actually still calling the shots, and nobody is motivated to move Melvin out the door after this season...

He did say a lineup with both Lopez and Weeks would be attractive, said his "stat guy" would call it a good start to a "sequential lineup".
That would be an interesting lineup. Lopez or Weeks in the 1 and 2 hole but that hurts Weeks and Lopez value with the stolen bases since you don't want to be making outs in front of your #3 and #4 hitters. Maybe have Weeks bat 5th behind Fielder with McGehee or Gamel batting 2nd. I wouldn't mind a lineup of:

1. Lopez

2. Gamel/McGehee

3. Braun

4. Fielder

5. Weeks

6. Hart

7. Corporan/Rivera

8. Escobar

9. Pitcher

The bottom of the lineup is a little shaky after Weeks but it shouldn't be any worse than this years bottom of the lineup. I would have to assume that the defense would take a hit without Cameron in CF though. With either Weeks or Lopez in CF I wouldn't be that confident in our OF defense. But the lineup would be fairly balanced especially if you have Gamel batting 2nd in front of Braun and Fielder. The Brewers could even trade Hart along with Hardy for some pitching and move McGehee into RF (not an ideal spot for McGehee) McGehee would then be batting where Hart would be batting.

I also believe that Melvin saying he's not motivated to move Hardy probably means that Hardy will be traded this off season if the right trade comes along for him.

As soon as he said he wasnt "motivated" to move Hardy I knew that he wont be here much longer.
Do you think he would ever say he's "motivated to move" someone? If he did would that mean that he's probably not going to trade that person? I would bet that just about every GM has traded players that they stated they would probably not trade and no GM is going to admit to thoughts about trading someone 3 or 4 months before they are actually going to do it.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Do you think he would ever say he's "motivated to move" someone? If he did would that mean that he's probably not going to trade that person? I would bet that just about every GM has traded players that they stated they would probably not trade and no GM is going to admit to thoughts about trading someone 3 or 4 months before they are actually going to do it.
I don't think he would say he's motivated to move anyone. But we know he's called some untouchable and we know that others are not going to get a comment like that attached to their name. That phrase has been the kiss of death for quite a few now ex-brewers.

he's not motivated to move Hardy now because it isn't the offseason...kind of like saying he's not motivated to restart Escobar's ML service time clock.

I think he'll be extremely motivated to move Hardy after he rejects any sort of contract extension and wants to reach free agency (if MIL even offers him one) - Melvin will do a good job publicly of hiding that motivation behind his mustache, as he always does.

Melvin did explain the "Sequential offense." He said it is "an offense of sequence that continues to pile on baserunners and runs." My guess is that is use of the term "sequential" or "sequence" is in reference to something along the lines of "one right after another." He admitted that it's hard to do in the NL with the pitcher batting and the bottom of the order in general. But my guess is he is saying we'd be close to having an AL style offense.
Follow me on Twitter

I bet Hardy is moved for a 'potential' starter and not a legit one. Someone like a Buchholtz type rather than an established sure thing starter.
I would agree with that or a legit #3 almost #2 type. Although he has had a down year, still had good career numbers and his past success should entice some people to buy.

I would love if we could actually get Buchholz for Hardy straight up.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

When I saw sequential, I thought of more of a traditional lineup...speedy, OBP guys at the top; high OBP, power guys 3-5, and so on. I have no idea what the stat guy meant though.

As for Hardy, the only way they get a proven, 2/3 guy for him is if he's overpaid. Otherwise, one year of JJ is probably worth a "near ready" guy, but not a "proven" guy. If BOS was able to extend JJ, then he could in theory be worth Bucholtz, but if they would not deal Clay for Halladay, why Hardy?

I bet Hardy is moved for a 'potential' starter and not a legit one. Someone like a Buchholtz type rather than an established sure thing starter.

Agreed...and we may be 'lucky' to get that unless JJ gets hot. I love JJ as much as the next guy, but I feel some here put way too much value on him. We're technically trading one year of JJ...his value isn't all that high right now. If we get a guy like Buchholz I'd be 100% thrilled. I just don't think one-year of JJ will bring that much back. It's nothing against JJ, but if you were looking for a SS...how much would you give up for JJ? Would you give up (not talking about position at all) Gamel or Escobar? I know we lack pitching prospects so it makes that point hard, but hopefully it makes sense. I just don't see teams giving up their top prospects for JJ. That doesn't mean he can't bring a nice haul though.

The Brewers were in on the Roy Halladay sweepstakes, but were reluctant to give up Alcides Escobar and Mat Gamel

So THAT was the asking price... I'm glad he didn't make that deal as well.

As of today, Melvin says he's not motivated to move J.J. Hardy, but hints that the Brewers could move him after the season to make room for Alcides Escobar.

Read: he will not be traded on August 11th, 2009, however as soon as the season is over he will darned well be looking to trade Hardy for pitching.

Melvin sounds hesitant to experiment with Rickie Weeks in center field

Didn't say anything about right field!

Hmmm... initially I took it to mean R-L-R-L-R-L (Weeks-Lopez-Braun-Fielder-Hart-Gamel-Escobar/Hardy-C-P), which would be realistic. It could also mean something like the Dodgers lineup; I noticed last week that although Kemp is probably their 2nd best hitter, he usually hits 6th-7th-8th. Spread out the lineup a bit, alternate lefties/righties like the Dodgers do (spread out Ethier-Ramirez-Loney-Kemp, not just 3-4-5-6), and that might be "sequential".

As for Hardy, the only way they get a proven, 2/3 guy for him is if he's overpaid. Otherwise, one year of JJ is probably worth a "near ready" guy, but not a "proven" guy. If BOS was able to extend JJ, then he could in theory be worth Bucholtz, but if they would not deal Clay for Halladay, why Hardy?
Al, I see your logic but it's still just speculation. Context can be everything, and you know well that that can change drastically throughout the season & off-season.

In other words, yours may be the conventional thinking on this site. Real life often contradicts conventional wisdom (Alex Rios, anyone?). So many folks on this site assume every young player will jump ship once they complete their 6th year. While free agency is a significant and tempting thing, it's not automatically foregone conclusion, either -- just like getting all those anticipated draft picks -- the CC & Sheets lesson all over again! Seeing how many players DIDN'T get their big payday or even jobs last winter, some players may well prefer the security their present team is offering to give them. Free agency can mean great things, but it's also a flirtation with unemployment.

Anyway & to wit . . . If the Yankees are kicking butt this winter again and Boston gets squat out of its SS position the remainder of the year, Theo & Co. just may place more value on shoring up the SS position with a younger & cheaper but proven player like Hardy. And if that were to happen, it wouldn't be out of keeping for Boston then to dangle enough dollars to entice him to stick around for a good while and stabilize the position.

DM's "I'm not motivated to move him" line should be taken at face value: "I'm not initiating talks, but I will listen. Your offer would have to seriously motivate me or our discussions re: Hardy will be short." Just because Escobar is knocking on the 25-man roster's door doesn't mean Hardy has to be moved for Escobar to come aboard. Also, remember what Toronto gave DM for Overbay when DM "wasn't motivated to move him."

One more thought: Why would Melvin do any deal to trade Hardy right now? The return for Hardy would have to be ML-ready pitching, and I seriously doubt the sort of pitching Melvin would be after would come in the form of a PTBNL (which is what you get in the post-8/1 deals, right?).

So THAT was the asking price... I'm glad he didn't make that deal as well.

Given the kind of asking price Ricciardi seemed to be floating around, I wouldn't be surprised. However, I don't think Melvin's comment absolutely clarifies that TOR asked for both. He may have meant he wasn't comfortable moving either one, and that the Jays had asked about different deals where Escobar was involved in some, & Gamel others. However, like I said, I guess it wouldn't shock me at all if they'd asked for both. Ricciardi really botched the Halladay situation imho.

EDIT: The Onion strikes again... this really let me laugh a bit about a topic (pitching) that hasn't seemed too funny this season -- "Blue Jays GM Confirms There Never Really Was A 'Roy Halladay'"

When asked to explain his team's inactivity at the trade deadline, Ricciardi bristled, saying, "Look, we are in fourth place in the toughest division in baseball, and the only way to remain competitive is by cutting salary, trading for prospects, and building for 2011."

"Obviously, if Roy Halladay existed, I would have traded him," he added. "I'm not an idiot."
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

We're technically trading one year of JJ....
Well if the team we trade him to doesn't sign him longterm, I'm assuming he would be a type A free agent and bring them in two picks. So in my mind it would be one year of JJ and two comp picks. But I also don't feel you can get a #2 type starter for that either, unless as someone said that pitcher is overpaid even for a #2. And if the Brewers are taking on that type of salary, that would probably take away all of Melvin's flexibility for other trades or signings.

Archived