Brewer Fanatic

Jermaine Dye

Teams would rather pitch to Dye than Cameron if you are simply talking about OBP, but I think it goes beyond that, as in Dye is a more dangerous hitter and strikes out less. I think most managers would take more into consideration than just OBP.
He does strike out less but he also walks less. Dye's line drive percentage has also taken a hit from last year nearly 6% less and 3.1% less than his career average. Cameron's line drive percentage has declined also but his decline from his career norm is less than Dye's is 1.1% decrease compared to 3.1% decrease and both are about the same career wise in ld%.

Also you have to take into consideration Dye's defense versus Cameron's defense and that is a no brainer right there you take Cameron's over Dye's any day of the week. Cameron still has positive value when you compare his offense and defense at the position he plays. While you compare Dye's offense and defense at the position he plays it is less than what Cameron gives you. Thus that makes Cameron the better option while Cameron is also a cheaper option than Dye.

When you take into consideration defense + offense - cost you will get a fair judgment on who is the better player for the Brewers. You add all of that into an equation I bet you will have Cameron ahead of Dye.

Dye will almost assuredly be back in Chicago next year. They brought in Rios because they needed a real CFer to get better defensively. Podsednik is the one with no future in Chicago, and Dewayne Wise stinks (so does Pods pretty much). Qunitin in LF, Rios, in CF, Dye in RF. Their OF is not crowded at all....Podsednik goes to the bench in '09, and possibly to the street in 2010. If anything they may be looking for another Ofer to upgrade Quintin in LF.

nate82 wrote:

When you take into consideration defense + offense - cost you will get a fair judgment on who is the better player for the Brewers. You add all of that into an equation I bet you will have Cameron ahead of Dye.

This is essentially the arguement in a nutshell that has no way of satisfying both sides in all liklihood. I think we have our Hardy vs. Escobar version deux with this. A few of us don't rate Cam's defense as being great enough over Dye's when you consider Dye is the perfect bat for our lineup.

I guess my plan was to go righty, lefty, righty, lefty (Braun, Fielder, Dye, Gamel). I think quite a few people think that's a good pattern to have. And with Dye, you're getting a guy that's going to hit somewhere above .270 and hit over 30 out of the park given his landing spot in this order. That to me beats a sub .250 hitter (likely for the third year in a row) that strikes out 140 times in the meat of the order and is not to the naked eye the same CF we had defensively last year.

How is Dye a perfect bat? He's right handed and makes more outs than Cameron. And he's terrible in RF.
It's about putting together a solid lineup. Some of us see Dye as a better option batting behind Fielder. And it's not just about who makes more outs (even though they are actually very similar in that regard).

You are still ignoring defense. Our lineup isn't the problem. Our pitching is the problem and adding a poor defender isn't going to help the pitching. In fact adding a poor defender to a pitching staff that doesn't strike out a lot of guys is even worse.

Edit: Dewan's plus/minus has Dye as the worst RF from 2006-2008. He was tied at -17 with Francoeur, Either, and Griffey in 2008. The only worse in RF were Hawpe and Abreu.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived