Brewer Fanatic

Jennings to Cubs, Jones & Maholm to COL, Hawpe to PITT?

Riebes24

Just heard it on ESPN from Steve Phillips. Don't really know if it's going to be finalized, but seems like another pretty solid move for the Cubs. Man, they are going to have a lot of talent going into next year, so it will be interesting to see how they screw it up.

This deal would also seem to be pretty solid for Colorado as well, as Jones should put up decdent numbers out there, and Maholm is a good young arm. Maybe we should jump in the mix and try to acquire Hawpe. Thoughts?

EDIT: The Cubs would also Send Carlos Marmol to COL. Still a hell of a deal for them if they can get Jennings. If that's the case, I agree with Nader: why couldn't Clark and Jackson get it done? I'd even throw in TGJ or another prospect, or replace Clark with Jenkins or Mench if they wanted.

I would have to think that the Brewers could match or beat that offer. I really know very little about Marmol, but because I never heard of him I am going to assume that he isn't on par with a Gallardo.

If the Rockies want a CFer we could offer something along the lines of:

Brady Clark

Tony Gwynn Jr.

Zach Jackson

If the Rockies want a corner OFer we could offer:

Geoff Jenkins

Zach Jackson

The Jason Jennings Saga, seems to be one of the more entertaining stories this winter meetings. There are a lot of rumors flying around I am very curious which ones are true. Some offers seem like crap others seem like the Rockies are asking for the moon.

I think the trade may benefit the Cubs this year, but I like Marmol quite a bit. He has a good live arm and spent his first three seasons as a catcher. He has only been pitching since 2003 and has a good fastball and a sharp breaking ball. For a comparison I think he will be a better version of Dave Bush with a better fastball. I hope this comes back to haunt the Cubs.

The Cub offer of Jones and Marmol is a better fit for Colorado than a Jackson/name your Brewer OF.

First, they are getting their young lefty in Maholm. He would team with Francis to give them two good young lefties in their rotation. I don't think they want a third lefthander. I also agree in watching Marmol vs. Brewers, that he has really, really good stuff, much better than Jackson. His problem is control.

Jones also is coming off a better year offensively than the Brewer triumverate of Jenkins, Mench, or Clark.

Nader Raider Tim, you never heard of Marmol? He was 2-0 with a 2.55 ERA in 3 starts against the Brewers, fanning 15 in 17 2/3 innings.

Yes control was a problem for Marmol, but IMO it was more a lack of moxie. He's a converted position player with an amazing arm, so he still learning what it means to pitch. On the days he does not have his best stuff, he doesn't just struggle, he gets lit up. It also seemed that he was tough as nails the first time or 2 through the order, but lacked the experience to adjust to get thru the order the 3rd time. That being said, he sure made the Brewers look pretty inept when he faced them. He's got a chance to be something special in a couple of years. Cubs trading away another Dontrelle Willis?

Brady Clark

Tony Gwynn Jr.

Zach Jackson

If the Rockies want a corner OFer we could offer:

Geoff Jenkins

Zach Jackson

Rockies get screwed on the first proposal. They don't even get a solid OF they can start. Jackson would be a decent option.

2nd proposal is fair.

Latest word has Hawpe "unavailable". I dont think we have the firepower(at least of guys were willing to trade to Jennings. Like my post in the jenks to SF thread Ive been looking at how to improve our bullpen since our rotation is pretty set, especially if we get lieber. How about Brady Clark for Ramon Ramirez?

-Don

Archived