Brewer Fanatic

Angel- What Now?

coach32sm

Let's say the Brewers are out of playoff contention at some point in September. Does Salome get a few starts?

You mean like, September 1st?

Absolutely he will get starts if and when they are out of it. Well... Macha is mananging the team...

But how does backing up in the majors help their development any more than splitting time in AAA

Backing up in the majors can let him work with and learn every day from a seasoned veteran who can act as a player-coach. Not too different from a QB sitting on the bench a few years like Rodgers did learning from watching Favre ; it is different in that in baseball you do need to play and face pitching regularly or you will lose your timing, but it is similar in that you can learn from a veteran in practice and watching major league games and you can learn from a higher level of coaching in the majors. As long as he is starting at least two games a week he will be fine. In Mike Matheny's first full season in Milwaukee (1995) he only played in 80 games and only got 180 ABs but that didn't hurt his development. I'd argue that in none of his seasons in Milwaukee did Matheny get significantly more than 50% of the plate appearances of their catchers, so there will be plenty of ABs to go around even if he is "backing up". One season as a backup won't hurt.

As LouisEly was sort of saying, I believe some rookies are better served being slowly broken in, as they aren't over-exposed. Additionally with Salome, it might give him time to work on all facets of his game.

Maybe it is the difference of positions but when Gamel got called up and only started a couple games a week people were saying it would hinder his development and that he needed to go back to AAA to start, but now with Salome it will help his development to sit and learn. Why the different feelings on the two similar situations?

I am in agreement that Salome should get some starts after Sept. 1st, I guess I just hope Money's comments about his defense were more exaggeration than fact. I can be convinced that him playing just two games a week is good for his development, so if that is the case then I am all for getting a veteran catcher to start most of the games and letting Salome learn.

Why the different feelings on the two similar situations? Maybe it is the difference of positions

Exactly - there's a lot more of a mental/experience aspect to catching than 3B, because as a catcher you are involved in every single pitch whereas at 3B you are only involved in a handful of plays a game. Thus as a 3B it is more important to play everyday for development because they only get a few chances a game. Kind of like how the QB is involved in some way in every single play of the game, whereas a WR is only involved in a handful of plays a game.

One more thing with Salome - at 5'7" I would expect that he have a little better plate discipline to walk more given that he has a smaller strike zone than the average player.

Truthfully, we have no idea how someone 25 or younger will handle being a backup or spot player after years of being the starter at every other wrung on the chain. It hurt Gamel. It very likely could hurt Salome and Escobar. We'll see, but I'd be careful in saying that Gamel is a rare case. These kids probably deserve the job next year and I wouldn't do anything that might disrupt them when they look to be upgrades immediately if handled correctly.

His offense has been very good since April, though his power is down...that could be a result of him being beat up though.

I would say his durability may well be his biggest issue...he is short and muscular, but catchers get hit a lot.

Think he could play OF - a move like the Brewers made with Surhoff and Nilsson in the 90s?

By all accounts his defense is getting better and should be passable as a catcher. Maybe slightly below average, but far from bad. And if his bat is top ten or so as a catcher in the majors (not saying it will be)....................I just wouldn't move him right now until we see firsthand that he can't catch.

I have always backed Salome and still don't understand how he can be behind Lucroy in the Power-50. He's playing a level higher at the same age, injured, and Lucroy has been nothing to get so excited about (minus what he's done in the past 10-15 games).

Homered tonight, although had an error and a PB. Keep the faith!

How can you not get excited about a kid that walks more than he strikes out? Holy cow....

Is there anything else you would like to see him accomplish, we can work on it in the off season as we have the last few years!!!

I hope you completely overhaul is workout routine, and concentrate solely on flexibility and core training. His injuries are ruining a very promising career. Back problems are especially scary for baseball players. Greater flexibility would also help him defensively, though fully acknowledge he is progressing nicely in that area. Comments by Doney Money need to be taken in context of what type of personality he is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I still think all things considered for next year Salome and Lucroy are close enough to let them have an open competition to make the club in the spring. Hopefully Rivera continues to hit, because I think his hitting will make it easier to break the Kendall addiction and go with a rookie for a good chunk of the games.

Archived