Brewer Fanatic

Do you think the Brewers are still 'in it'?

dbo
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earlier in this thread I tried to give a reasonable, thoughtful response to this question. Today, I'm not in the mood. Stick a fork in 'em.

However, I'm in a good mood because I'm off to Cleveland to see my first MLB game in over a year.

You may run like Mays...

Earlier in this thread I tried to give a reasonable, thoughtful response to this question. Today, I'm not in the mood. Stick a fork in 'em.
Nothing wrong with that at all. In my mind their season is over, but the reality is that bad teams get hot all the time so they still aren't 'done'. I think the Rockies showed that a hot streak can turn a sub .500 team into a world series one in just a month, even if it really wasn't a very good team. The Astros have made a couple runs with weak teams in the past few years too but fell short.

They have shown nothing in the last 3 months to show they can go on a long Role.

I not even sure the Last time the Brewers won 5 games in a row.

Too Many Holes for this team to get To the top

Hell, when is the last time they won just three games in a row?

Actually, it was that June 15-17th series where they swept the Indians. Almost two months ago. Sad and disappointing.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nothing wrong with that at all. In my mind their season is over, but the reality is that bad teams get hot all the time so they still aren't 'done'. I think the Rockies showed that a hot streak can turn a sub .500 team into a world series one in just a month, even if it really wasn't a very good team. The Astros have made a couple runs with weak teams in the past few years too but fell short.
The Rockies had more than one competent starting pitcher when they went on their run.

Mathematically it is still possible but I don't see it happening. I'd like to see them greatly restrict Gallardo's pitch count soon and not overuse his young golden arm. Lets play Escobar and Gamel everyday and build towards next season

I had the Brewers out of it the day the Braves signed Derek Lowe. Lowe was the only realistic FA pitcher out there that I thought could adequately bolster the Brewer rotation. Once he was off the market, the only chance was to trade for a pitcher using Hart and to sign a FA outfielder like Abreu who was actually an upgrade over Hart, but a combo move like that isn't in Melvin's DNA.

the only chance was to trade for a pitcher using Hart and to sign a FA outfielder like Abreu who was actually an upgrade over Hart,

How does this make sense? Why would a team give up a good pitcher to trade for Hart when they can just sign Abreu?

The Brewers have been out since they lost first place and if losing a 500 pitcher meant losing the season that show how bad Melvin put together this year Staff.

Or how poorly Jack Z did drafting pitching~. Sure we could have spent the money on something better than Suppan but the bigger issue is the complete lack of depth in the minors. If you are going to blame one you have to blame both.

The Rockies had more than one competent starting pitcher when they went on their run

They actually didn't and that is the entire point. Their rotation was Jeff Francis, Aaron Cook, Josh Fogg, Jason Hirsch and Ubaldo Jiminez. Francis had one season of sub 5 ERA under his belt and was probably pretty comperable to Looper. Cook was at best comperable to Gallardo. Fogg was a career cripple not unlike what we are throwing out there. Hirsch never proved anything and Jiminez was a young unproven guy with control problems like Parra.

They were very comperable to our situation and just got extremely hot. Even bad/mediocre pitchers go on month long stretches of throwing the ball well. Some team that is sitting around .500 is going to get hot and make a run at it in the second half. There are plenty of teams to choose from that fit the criteria so odds are against any single team but there will be one team that everyone thinks is out of it that is still 'in it' late into the season almost for sure.

the only chance was to trade for a pitcher using Hart and to sign a FA outfielder like Abreu who was actually an upgrade over Hart,

How does this make sense? Why would a team give up a good pitcher to trade for Hart when they can just sign Abreu?

Because Corey is cheap and can be controlled for a few more years cheaply.

In a word....nope. In more than a word, there is no possible way, short of major injuries happening to the teams ahead of them in the hunt, and having Yo, Parra, Looper, Soup and Smith (or whoever they throw out there) turn into the second comings of Cy Young, Sandy Koufax, Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan and Bob Gibson for the rest of the season, and having all the hitters clicking at the right time, that they can catch up and win the wild card.

Win today, beat up on Pitt & Washington, get within 5 games or so, then we get the chance to beat the teams in front of us including a ton of games against the Cards. Playoffs are still highly unlikely but I feel a little bit better than I did after Game #1 of the Padres series

Archived