Brewer Fanatic

Do you think the Brewers are still 'in it'?

dbo

AHHHHHHH

I am sooooo frustrated right now!! I do not want to throw in the towel but it is getting tough. We need someone to step up and carry us for a week or longer. I'm keeping faith in the fact that we have a very easy schedule coming up. Tell me fans -are we still in it??

(edited thread title to make it both more explanatory and less like a vent thread - hawing)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes we are still in it, this team is every bit as good as say the 2007 Rockies who got hot and made the playoffs when they shouldn't have. The fact that so many teams are 4+ games ahead of us now makes us pretty significant underdogs though. All it really takes is a .500 team having a hot month to push them into the playoffs from this point on though.

There still in it. Give them till the end of the month, there sceduale keeps them in it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Thanks Ennder,

I agree- All it takes is for ome of these .500 teams to get hot and we have as good a chance as anyone. I hope Zambrano's injury is worse han they are saying

I think we are in it too but look at the Cardinals schedule here the next couple of weeks. I know we have to jump a ton of teams in the wild card but I like our chances of winning the wild card more than the division right now. However, we do have 9 games left against the Cardinals so if we can go 7-2 in those games then I like our chances.

6 games out of the division and 6 games out of the wild card with 8 weeks left in the season. Gain a game a week.

Good points Brew City

I have been focusing so much on the division that I lost track of the Wild Card. Giants and Rockies have many games remaining with Dodgers which will hep big time.

Look who is sneaking up again quietly- The Marlins

If they do well the rest of this month against a relatively easy slate of opponents, they have a shot. Then, with all the games in September against the Cubs & Cards as well as other teams we could be fighting with for the wildcard, we can get hot at the right time and make up a TON of ground. We are not out of it at all.

If they do well the rest of this month against a relatively easy slate of opponents, they have a shot.
I agree with your whole post, but the part I quote above made me immediately think, "yeah, but we've been saying this since the all-star break and it hasn't happened yet."

To me it feels kind of like being down by 3-4 runs in the sixth inning or so. The win expectancy isn't favorable, but it's not impossible.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I've begun to look at this Brewers season the way I look at my lousy golf rounds (which are most of them). Take the few good shots for the next round and be entertained. This season's done. There could be a flareup with the candy schedule coming up, but then cold reality should set in. I can see being double digits out by the second week of September. Of COURSE I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd also like to shoot par. Neither I see happening.

No, but I probably said the same thing in the middle of September last year. This team hasn't shown the ability to make a run in the last few months. Heck, they can barely win two in a row. I can't see them winning enough games to make the playoffs.

No.

Theyre a .500 team. The starting pitching wont hold up for them to make a run and the 2 man offense isnt enough to make up for that mediocre pitching.

They have the "illusion" of still being close. Even with the "soft" schedule this month (since they are really only a .500 team it isnt really that soft at all), the September will remove all doubt. They would have to play 6 games better from here on out than the Cards and or Cubs.

They just dont have the talent to pull it off this year.

They went over a month between winning series. One against the awful Mets and one against the league-leading Dodgers.

That's not really an answer, but I think it sums up the season since roughly the time Weeks went out about as well as any two sentences can.

Unless something drastically changes, they aren't really 'in it', barring a miracle run in September, but I think the Rockies have used up most of the miracles in baseball for a while. Even last season's Brewers needed a fair amout of good fortune to sneak in, but that team was better that this and had the luxury of chasing a Mets club that was accomplished at letting thing slip away.

Yes, they're still in it. Or at least not totally out of it.

Emotionally, it's easy to give up.

Objectively, there are still 8 full weeks left -- nearly 2 months. Lots can happen. St. Louis & the Cubs aren't exactly running away from everyone else. And if the Brewers can get a hot streak going -- granted, a big IF -- they could put themselves right in the thick of the race.

Honestly if you think they are out of it you haven't paid much attention to baseball over the last 10 years. I don't like their chances much but a .500 team getting hot for 5 weeks and getting into the race or making the playoffs happens pretty much every single season. No reason we can't be that team or any of the other teams sitting around .500 right now.

It's really hard to say they're in it when they can't seem to win back to back games (like someone else said), and when we all know the starting pitching on this team is paper thin. It also doesn't help that the team will score 12 runs one game and then get shut out by a marginal pitcher the very next day.

I think they'll keep things interesting for the next few weeks before finally fading away with two or three weeks left in the season. It just doesn't look like our year, due to lack of starting pitching and some key injuries.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

They got to go on one of those 8-2 type runs real soon to really be in it.

Agreed- they have to get hot to make it possible. Getting to within 2-3 games before September makes it doable.

And I also agree completely with Al- if they go on a 4-5 game losing streak or lose say 6 of 8 or some thing like that, that pretty much kills them for the year.

If I did the math right, they've got 51 games to go. With 55 wins, I assume they'll need at least 30 more wins to make the playoffs by winning the division (and that sounds low), and so I have to also assume the Cards and Cubs will play poorly down the stretch (I don't know how reasonable that assumption is). That means they have to go 30-21 the rest of the way, see both the Cards and Cubs slip up quite a bit, and hope the Astros don't get hot. There's a lot in the way, but I guess it's not impossible.
You may run like Mays...

Archived