Brewer Fanatic

Brewers get Weathers from CIN for PBTNL; Smith Optioned, Green DFA'd to make room

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems like a pretty decent chunk of cash to pay to a good but not outstanding bullpen guy. Given that, I would hope that the list of players doesn't contain anybody except low level prospects. Probably a solid trade by DM, but it's hard to say before we know the PTBNL.

I'd have been a lot more gung-ho about this move after the Dodgers series in LA. As it stands, I'm not sure what the purpose is, despite how Stormy's been pitching this year, unless they're planning on picking up that option for next season, which is a bit hard to imagine but who knows

I'm a bit confused, we had gone 1-1 since the Dodger series when this trade went down. Going 2-0 would have made that much of a difference or even 2-1 rather than 1-2 if you want to include tonights game?

Now if you meant the series at Miller Park I could agree with you some. I really expected us to make a move after that one but we just fell flat against a lot of bad teams.

I like it. Would rather have seen them acquire Weathers instead of Vargas, but what's done is done. Good bullpen help for this year, and hopefully a help for next year. Now, if only we could miraculously find consistent starting pitching!

I'd have been a lot more gung-ho about this move after the Dodgers series in LA.

I'm a bit confused, we had gone 1-1 since the Dodger series when this trade went down.

For whatever reason, I thought this deal went down after the game when I first read this.

But to answer your question, yeah, I do think there's a sizable difference between 5 games back and 6 games back at this juncture. Maybe not a massive one, but enough of one that depending on the trading price and considering at least nearly half a million will be invested in Weathers next year I probably wouldn't have made the move.

Who knows though--if they get hot and the teams in front of them cool down and they can make a move, Weathers should definitely help.

i'm not ready to jump on the "it doesn't matter anymore, we're totally out of it" bandwagon yet. heck, we heard a lot of that last year. the chances are pretty small, but one never knows. it's a small move but it makes the papers, DM can throw in a few quotes about how we're trying to catch up at least a little bit and give the average fan at least a small reason to keep coming to the ballpark the rest of the way.

I really like this move -- really shrewd. Several other thoughts:

1. There are still nearly 2 full months left in the season. The Brewers are hardly in the thick of it. But they're not out of it, either. The Cards are only 11 games over .500, so it's not like they're an elite team.

2. Weathers isn't glamorous, but he's quite solid, not to mention better than almost every other reliever we have whose last name isn't "Hoffman." I'd welcome the idea of picking up his 2010 option. It'd sure beat seeing more of Mike Burns, Jorge Julio, R.J. Swindle, and the '09 version of Seth McClung! We need more good pitchers, not fewer.

3. No matter where the help's coming from at this point, the higher the talent level on the team, the better. The fact that this is a talent upgrade to the pitching staff makes it even better. + Weathers, - Burns (probably?) = good upgrade.

4. The PTBNL can't be someone on the 40-man roster at this point. I doubt the Brewers put their best non-40-man guys on the list they gave to Cincy. And I also wouldn't be surprised (and I'd much prefer) to see Cincy choose the cash option.

5. Side note related to #3: If Hoffman wants to be a Brewer again next year, make it happen, DM. Hoffman's been excellent. And he sure costs a lot less than some of the other closers out there getting paid. We need more good pitchers, not fewer. Not having to find another closer would be a distinct positive going into the offseason & next year.

I really like this move -- really shrewd.

I think until we know who the PTBNL is, it's hard to call it shrewd.

The Brewers are hardly in the thick of it. But they're not out of it, either.

Regardless of the Brewers place in the race, I do see some value in the Brewers keeping it as close as possible -- i.e. chasing that 84th win. No one wants to buy tickets to watch our BP continued to get hammered in Aug/Sep.

I'd welcome the idea of picking up his 2010 option.

I dunno. Weathers certainly has been solid as you point out -- but ~$4M is a lot for a 40 year old reliever -- it may be more prudent to spend that money elsewhere.

I like it and hope they pick up his option even though it's a bit steep. 2010 bullpen becomes McClung, Villy, Weathers, Coffey, DiFelice, Stetter, and Riske. Or Villy moves back to the rotation and they are able to sign Hoffman.

I would just say that with Hall, Suppan, and Riske still on the books next year, the Brewers probably won't be able to afford spending $4 million or so on a 40 year old reliever next year. Maybe they could decline his option and re-sign him at a cheaper price, or maybe throw in a second year option with a buyout?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Would rather have seen them acquire Weathers instead of Vargas,
Since the Brewers claimed him when the Reds put him through waivers, that probably initiated more serious discussions than the Reds were prepared to have before July 31st.

i don't think it necessarily means we're going to be picking up his option for next year. that's a pretty steep price. i think it's just a pickup to keep this team moderately competitive through the rest of this year and that's it.

i'm not overreacting about this PTBNL, either. we're talking about the Noochie Varner's of the world, not the Adam Heether's.

$4M is a lot for a 40 year old reliever

They are paying a 41 year old, Hoffman, $6 million.

$4 million for a reliever, who actually pitches, would be far better than the $4 million or so they have been paying Riske to not pitch.

I don't know whether http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif or not Weathers is worth $4 million, but it has little to do with his age. Plus, it would not be like it is that risky http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif since it is only one year, unlike the Riske disaster

As a fan it's ok to let emotions get in the way and just assume 6 games out is time to start looking at next year. As a GM I would be seriously PO'ed if the GM acted that way. This is a good short term move to give this team the best shot at a post season birth this year. I am not sold on him being worth much next year. He may be good but 40 year old players are always a risk for both injuries and decline in ability. Just look at the difference a year made with Shouse.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Dave Cameron over at fangraphs weighs in with his take on the Weathers trade. I am inclined to agree with his conclusion:

"The Reds were right to get rid of Weathers - he's old, not good, and makes more money than he should."

The PTBNL probably isn't anybody of consequence, and I still don't like this deal. If the PTBNL is actually someone vaguely resembling a prospect, I loathe this deal.

I had forgotten that we traded him for Ruben Quevedo. I guess I had wiped those bad memories from my mind.

Is Melvin trying to undo the bad trades of recent years? First he brings Cirillo back, then he tries to bring back Doug Davis, now Weathers. Is Fernando Vina still around?

I actually like this move quite a bit. If he can squeeze one more solid season out, our bullpen might be able to use him as a setup guy and Coffey as the closer if Hoff walks/retires.
With all due respect, the thought of this scenario makes me ill. Weathers and Coffey as 8/9 inning guys, no thanks.

Archived