Brewer Fanatic

Mench to Bal - DEAD

shtiny

"Talks of a Lopez-for-Kevin Mench deal with Milwaukee are dead."

I am not sure if that is good or bad? I don't really want Lopez, but the Brewers would be a better team in 2007 if Mench is not on it...

This is good. I want to hold onto Mench. Like I said in an earlier post, in 2004 Mench was 2nd in the league in Hrs per plate appearance behind ONLY Mr Bonds. I understand why he was acquired. Now we just need to get behind him so he can get some confidence. He should hit well in Miller Park.

The Brewers should use Mench's terrible stint with Milwaukee to really low ball him into taking a smaller contract, something like one year, 3 million, and then trade Jenks and platoon Mench with Gross in LF.

Just an idea.

"in 2004 Mench was 2nd in the league in HRS per plate appearance behind only Mr. Bonds"

Not sure where you got that stat aracko. I checked the top 4 HR hitters that year and all had better HRS per plate appearances than did Mench. Those 4, were Dunn, Beltre, and Pujols in addition to Bonds.

My guess is there were a few more too.

Will paste the link in a min

Edit - here is where I got the info from.

Kevin Mench

Kevin Mench, OF, Texas: There are only a handful of batters who hit more home runs than Mench's 26 last season in fewer at-bats -- actually, it was more like a fingerful. Barry Bonds was the only player to out-hit Mench in fewer at-bats in 2004. Pretty good company. Injuries have hampered the aggressive swinger over the past couple seasons, but that shouldn't scare owners away from selecting him in the later rounds of mixed-league drafts. He just turned the magical Fantasy Baseball age of 27, and the Rangers lineup is one that should afford him plenty of RBI opportunities -- we're guessing more than 100 of them for 2005.

I agree with you though - the quote is incorrect. That said - he averaged one HR every 16.8 ABs which puts him in pretty rare company.

"The Brewers should use Mench's terrible stint with Milwaukee to really low ball him into taking a smaller contract, something like one year, 3 million, and then trade Jenks and platoon Mench with Gross in LF.

Just an idea."

I really wouldn't mind this. I don't think Mench will net that much in a trade and shouldn't be too expensive. Probably better off keeping him and trading Jenkins for pitching.

Yeah aracko he had a decent year in 2004, but consider Jose Valentyn hit 4 more HR than Mench that year in 12 more at bats.

And Marcus Thames had 26 HR in 348 AB's (1 in 13.4) last year and he's not a starter for Detroit.

Besides Texas is a launching pad.

We now already have Claudio Vargas, so there's no need to get an average young starting pitcher with multiple years remaining.

Well that is not right, you can never have enough pitching. After last year we can stock arms we should, brining little Ben to pitch for stretch kills us.

The original quote came from my rotoleague site: allstar.rotoworld.com...here is the whole post:

Rodrigo Lopez - S - Baltimore Orioles &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp BLOUNTS (Active) &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Monday Dec. 4, 2006

Five teams have reportedly expressed interest in Rodrigo Lopez, who is arbitration eligible one last time after making $3.75 million last season.

The Diamondbacks and Rockies were among the teams mentioned in connection with Lopez last month. Talks of a Lopez-for-Kevin Mench deal with Milwaukee are dead, but it's possible the Orioles are discussing a deal that would send Lopez to the Cubs for Jacque Jones. Source: Baltimore Sun Dec. 4 - 11:42 am et

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel believes the Brewers have a deal in place that would send Kevin Mench to Baltimore for Rodrigo Lopez in the event the Orioles fail to sign Luis Gonzalez.

Mench for Lopez is an old rumor, of course, but it sounds as if both teams have revisited it. That would seem to mean that talks between the Phillies and Brewers regarding Jon Lieber have fallen through.

www.rotoworld.com/content...?sport=MLB

tinyurl.com/yx8dzg

The Brewers are believed to have a deal in place that would send outfielder Kevin Mench to Baltimore for right-hander Rodrigo Lopez in the event the Orioles fail to sign free-agent outfielder Luis Gonzalez.

and..

Graffy signed the arbitration

from the MJS

thank god I'd rather see Lopez than Lieber anyday......

Not that I'm doubting the validity, but that link at rotoworld doesn't actually go to the JS, and no article of the sorts is on JSonline at this point.
The article hit the wire services and was posted on the Mercury News site several hours before it was up on JS Online. AJAY posted it in his Graffy, Weeks, Hardy, and Mench update thread earlier this evening.

Given that JS Online waits until after 11:00 PM to post a lot of their stuff, I think I'm going to start doing Google News searches for "Haudricourt" early in the evening.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I checked out the Baltimore Sun this morning and they have nothing about the Brewers or Mench. In fact, they are reporting that the Orioles tried hard yesterday to make a 3 team deal involving Lopez, but it was in an attempt to get Marcus Thames and didn't involve Milwaukee. However, they are also reporting that they failed. The Orioles Web site only mentions that the Brewers are one of a few teams that has had an interest in Lopez. So, either the Brewer reporters know something the Orioles reporters don't or vice versa.

"The Brewers should use Mench's terrible stint with Milwaukee to really low ball him into taking a smaller contract, something like one year, 3 million, and then trade Jenks and platoon Mench with Gross in LF.

So, don't offer Mench arbitration and just sign him? I don't see Mench agreeing to that. Despite being horrible for the Brewers, Mench wasn't too bad before that. Some team would give him a better offer.

Or, perhaps it's status quo with Baltimore and Mench. It's sensible for teams to try and find the best deal possible, so working other scenarios with other teams may not necessarily mean Mench to Baltimore is dead. Wait and see mode button is now pushed.

Archived