Brewer Fanatic

Waiver wire deals

Let the waiver wire deal speculations begin.

Apparently today Alex Rios of the Blue Jays was claimed off of waivers. The Blue Jays can either let the claiming team have him and take his $60m contract, remove him from waivers, or work out a trade with the team. Buster Olney on the Rios claim.

I don't see anyone in the bottom half of the league taking on Rios other than the Mets. The Giants are a possibility along with the White Sox the White Sox would get to pick Rios before the Giants would though. I think it might be the Mets who get Rios.

I wonder if the Royals will put Meche through waivers that could be a good pickup for the Brewers. Snyder could also be another player who maybe put through waivers this year a Rivera plus deal or the Brewers just claiming Snyder may net the Brewers Snyder from the Diamondbacks. Bedard may go through waivers but it doesn't look like he will be pitching again this year.

I doubt he made it out of the American League much less to the Brewers.
I thought the waver wire deals went by record and then if two teams claimed the player the team that is in the current league would win the claim.

Almost every player in MLB is put on waivers. Almost all pass through unclaimed, because teams know they'll just be pulled back. Teams can waive up to 7 a day, and often do so to "camouflage" who they want to sneak through.

There also seems to be some confusion as to how claims work. A player is put on waivers, and all the teams can claim him then. When the waiver period expires, if more than one team claimed him, he's awarded to the team with the worst record. I thought they got rid of the "own league priority", but maybe not.

The same league rule still applies, all American League teams will have a shot at Rios before the Nats.

I'm on record that Ricciardi blew the Halladay situation and thus he will be fired this off-season, now if he doesn't just let Rios go, he's completely out of his mind. Rios has a no trade clause so it will be difficult to work out a trade.

This will get The Jays out from a HUGE contract.

I thought they got rid of the "own league priority", but maybe not.

Yeah, I believe it's still "own league priority." It's the draft that changed.

Waiver rules are totally confusing. Even Gord Ash screwed up a couple of years ago. The Brewers had to make room for a player on the 40-man when Gord thought he could be placed on a minor league roster. To "excuse" Gord, the situation wasn't all that clear. The commissioner's office needed to sort it out.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Biggest problem with either Arroyo or Harang is the money they're owed next season.

I wonder if the Reds would be willing to take Bill Hall for one of them...even if we had to eat a bit of Hall's salary, it would be worth it. I don't know that the Brewers have the financial flexibility to do it, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I wonder if the Reds would be willing to take Bill Hall for one of them

They might have an interest in Hall just to keep from having him face them anymore.

If they're serious about getting rid of Harang, I'd think a straight up swap of Hall for Harang makes sense for both teams. I'd even give them a C-level prospect if they wanted one to make it happen.

Might be a dumb question, but how long does the process of putting a player through waivers take? In other words, when a player is put through waivers, is there a set time for each team to make a decision on whether to claim that player or not? Or is it different with every player?

Archived