Brewer Fanatic

Mystery Team (White Sox) Claims Alex Rios on Waivers- Latest: Jays Let him go to Chicago for nothing

JohnBriggs12
Teams you can eliminate: Red Sox, Giants, Mets, Reds, Mariners, Nationals, Pirates, Cardinals, Cubs, Astros, Dodgers, Indians, A's, Orioles, Padres, Braves, Diamondbacks, Angels, Brewers, Twins and Marlins

Maybe list: Yankees, Tigers, Rays, White Sox, Rangers, and Royals.

Yankees - It's the Yankees

Tigers - Replaces Magglio in RF

Rays - Replaces Gross/Kapler in RF (least likely option of the maybe's)

White Sox - Replaces Wise in CF; Dye in RF

Mariners - Bat for middle of the lineup

Rangers - Replaces Byrd in OF

Royals - Prone to making stupid moves; no current talent in OF (2nd least likely option)

My bet is on the Mariners.

EDIT #2: Looks like I lose that bet.

8:44pm: Geoff Baker of The Seattle Times reports that the Mariners did not put the claim in on Rios.

I hope you're not stating that Cabrera is a AAAA player. I think he'd fit alright in the Brewers OF right now...
Oh I am and I don't see the love for him at all.
He's a fine CF defender with a great arm who has shown great strides at the plate this season. I don't love the guy, but AAAA player is completely off-base.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

According to MLB Trade Rumors latest update -

10:02pm: Olney is now reporting that the White Sox "are most likely the team awarded claim on Rios, but the Blue Jays have not confirmed it." The Sox face a mutual option on right fielder Jermaine Dye after the season, and could also consider using Rios in center field if they acquire him.

According to MLB Trade Rumors latest update -

10:02pm: Olney is now reporting that the White Sox "are most likely the team awarded claim on Rios, but the Blue Jays have not confirmed it." The Sox face a mutual option on right fielder Jermaine Dye after the season, and could also consider using Rios in center field if they acquire him.

Didn't I say in my first post that this sounded like a Kenny Williams move? Whoever suggested the Sox had a CF in Wise? Please, Wise is a career minor leaguer who is hitting .198 as I write this. They've been looking for a CF for a long time. Dye comes off their books next year as does Thome and Konerko follows in 2011. This is a terrific move by Williams.

I also thought the White Sox would've been the other team that made sense other than the Mariners. Wise just doesn't belong on the major league roster, but they don't have anyone to take his place. Rios would be a great pickup, especially because he can play CF for this season, and then RF next season when Dye is gone.

That should help the CF problem in the White Sox. I'm not sure they're going to like the move 3 years from now though.

Williams has a pretty good track record of grabbing very talented players coming off of down seasons (see Dye and Quentin). Rios is exceptionally talented. I would not be surprised if 3 years from now, he's had a couple more All Star appearances. Rios will benefit greatly in hitter friendly U.S. Cellular.

Archived