Brewer Fanatic

Prince Fielder for Matt Garza (Offseason)

Why we do it:

Garza is a cheap, player under our control for 3 years (might be able to sign him after 2010 to a Ben Sheets type 4/40 contract)

He would instantly become our #2, maybe even #1 and become a great 1-2 punch with Yovani

Why the Rays do it:

They have a huge hole at DH (Pat the Bat is showing his age), and coming off this monster season for Prince, the Rays would make a huge splash in the AL East by adding him

How we replace Fielder: (some sort of trade for Adam Dunn, or slide Gamel to 1B)

Well, we could always take Crawford and Kaz, too. Even Kaz would be a #2 for us (although he's having a pretty crap year this season).

I disagree with the statement that Garza would be the #1 over Yovani, though. #2, most certainly, but not exactly #1.

It might take a Fielder to land a Crawford. But if a deal like that could help land a Kazmir, too, if I'm DM, I've gotta give that serious consideration.

Burrell's showing more that he's been out for a long stretch with an injury than he's been showing age, imho. If he's not a Ray next year, Pena & Fielder can alternate between 1B & DH.

(Side thought: Heck, I wonder if McClung & Balfour into the deal, too -- trade 'em for each other again. I'd take Balfour's diminished production over what McClung's done most of the year. At least you know Balfour's more likely to be nearer to the strike zone.)

Archived