Brewer Fanatic

A few offseason trade ideas

3 team deal with the Giants and Yankees.

Hardy goes to the Giants

Sanchez & Hart go to the Yankees

Hughes and a prospect to the Brewers (something like the Yankees can protect 2-3 guys and then the Brewers can pick

The Brewers get their young, top of the rotation SP to pair with Gallardo, the Giants get a plus bat, plus defender at SS, and the Yankees get a younger lefty that Petitte can mentor and a young, solid OF to replace the FAs Damon and Matsui.

Salome to the Rays for Fernando Perez. Navarro has been a disappointment for the Rays this year, so an advanced catching prospect may interest them. For some reason, I really like Perez and think he's a good fit to lead off and would be a plus defender in the OF.

Hall & Rivera to the D-backs for Snyder (someone else's good idea). I'd also throw in the buyout if I was the Brewers. Hall has a lot of versatility that maybe someone, somewhere could want at the right price. Rivera is a cheap, capable backup. Even in a down year, Snyder would be a major upgrade behind the plate. I'd also have no problem bringing back Kendall to be a part time player (at the right price).

Crazier things have happened. It would certainly be an exciting offseason. I already expect something big to go down.

While no one can be certain if Angel Salome has what it takes to be a good C defensively, now that Lawrie's moved to 2B, the last thing I want to see is the first period of any organizational depth at catching ended with any bit of haste at all. Moving Salome in any deal w/o getting catching in return will leave Lucroy as the only C worth noting in the upper minors, and it's not like he's exactly doing anything special at all in AA right now. That would leave the Brewers one tiny or stupid injury short of having absolute ZERO catching anywhere once again.

I'd give serious consideration to what it might take to get Hughes from NY. Not sure what else we might get in what you propose. Unless you have the Yankees finding some sucker to take on Cano's contract, they don't exactly have a place to play Sanchez.

I'd bet Hall alone might net a Snyder-type with a little cash changing hands to even things out.

Some decent ideas, fleehaw. I'd think this may be the first off-season in the Melvin era where it's reached the point of trading a piece or two of the strong, homegrown (non-pitching) talent to shore up other needs (rotation!!!). Other than Braun & Fielder, there are good arguments & counters for why each member of the "core" could be the first guy to go in a deal. I heartily agree that this should be an exciting winter.

Lucroy has been dominating AA since his slow start. Lucroy over the last 28 days:0.333 0.446 0.522. The DBacks could pretty much give away Snyder, they don't have to take on an onerous contract to move him.

There's no reason they couldn't have Snyder/Lucroy as a catching tandem in 2010. AZ operated with a Snyder/Montero tandem for several years. Now that Montero has blossomed, he's their guy. The Brewers having one guy catch 90% of the games is the exception, not the rule. If AZ wants to give Snyder away, Brewers should take him and have him split time with a young guy.

If Salome proves he's ready defensively and forces his way to the big leagues, then they deal to make room for him later.

I'm not saying that it means Salome needs to be dealt all it means is that Lucroy is certainly pushing Salome. I don't hate acquiring Snyder I just doubt that DBacks need to take on Hall to get rid of him. This is a guy who put up good numbers 2005-2008 and isn't terrible for a catcher this year.

Sanchez & Hart go to the Yankees

Hughes and a prospect to the Brewers

There is no way that the Yankees give up Hughes for Sanchez and Hart. There are enough FA outfielders that the Yankees can get that they don't need to trade for one.

While no one can be certain if Angel Salome has what it takes to be a good C defensively, now that Lawrie's moved to 2B, the last thing I want to see is the first period of any organizational depth at catching ended with any bit of haste at all. Moving Salome in any deal w/o getting catching in return will leave Lucroy as the only C worth noting in the upper minors, and it's not like he's exactly doing anything special at all in AA right now. That would leave the Brewers one tiny or stupid injury short of having absolute ZERO catching anywhere once again.

I'd give serious consideration to what it might take to get Hughes from NY. Not sure what else we might get in what you propose. Unless you have the Yankees finding some sucker to take on Cano's contract, they don't exactly have a place to play Sanchez.

I meant SP Jonathon Sanchez, not Freddy. And the Yankees have 2 catching prospects in their BA top 10 from the beginning of the season.

Archived