Brewer Fanatic

The incident...motivation? Latest: no suspensions; undisclosed fines for Mota and Fielder (reply #71ish)

DHonks

This is probably really a divergent comment, but since there's commentary on Witrado going on, I heard TH talking about the non-suspension on 540 earlier, and I've never heard him on the radio before. If I had a bad opinion of him from his blog, it's worse now. Wow.

Anyway, I'm surprised there were no suspensions, but I'll take it over the alternative. A suspension for Mota and/or Torre would have surely also meant a suspension for Fielder. I'd rather have Fielder for every game, than worry about if the Dodgers lose Mota for a couple games.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just heard the Witrado interview, what a tool. He lists the Manny Parra incident as Fielder being "immature." Fielder approached Parra last season because he was bailing on the team. The team was mired in a losing streak last season. He was frustrated about Parra's lack of attention to the team. Parra was trying to leave the game early, after he got shelled, and Fielder told him to stay and watch.

You seem to be whitewashing this, he at least attempted to beat Parra up. There certainly was some physical interaction, it was more than "approaching" and and talking to him.

I highly doubt Fielder intended to beat him down or anything - I can't imagine him doing anything that crazy. I just wonder if' date=' since it was Mota, he wanted to go down and yell at him a bit in a sort of, "What the hell? I thought we were buds?" sort of way, yet angrier than that sounds.[/quote']

Why not isn't that just what he at least attempted to do to Parra?

Maybe this latest incident will inspire the team to consider trading Fielder for pitiching during the off-season.

More from TH:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52599912.html

Very interesting that Fielder put the kibbosh on retaliation last night. He probably was feeling some remorse after the national scolding he took from the media, ill-informed as they may be.

I disagree with you phx. I put out an earlier post on this, but I don't think Macha has much to do with this. Much like with the Pirates, it was the players' call whether or not to do the beanball dance.

I sure hope not. Trade him now without gaining a very significant offensive player, and this team is finished.

You only do it if you get some very significant pitching back. But if you do get very significant pitching back and put Gamel at 1st the team is better off.

I think if you go back and watch the Parra/Fielder dustup you will see Parra whip his towel, which was reported to have snapped across Fielder's head/ears/neck area causing him to turn around and go balistic. Does he have a temper? Sure, he does and I think I would have been p od if I had just told Parra to quit being a baby and sit with the team to finish the game and then got whipped in the head as I turned around. It was most likely and accident on Parra's part as he threw the towel down in frustration but my initial reaction probably wouldn't have been good if I was Prince either. They quickly made up aftewards, probably because each explained their point of view of what happened, but it seems the only people who hold the grudge or are still worrying about it are on message boards.

Maybe this latest incident will inspire the team to consider trading Fielder for pitiching during the off-season.

I most certainly hope not!

I think if you go back and watch the Parra/Fielder dustup you will see Parra whip his towel...

What he said. Fielder is passionate and will not back down from anybody. He is far from an uncontrollable rage machine. He is actually a positive force in the clubhouse. Why on Earth would anyone think of trading such a player (unless he is in his last year of team control and the said team is out of the playoff picture)?

I think if you go back and watch the Parra/Fielder dustup you will see Parra whip his towel, which was reported to have snapped across Fielder's head/ears/neck area causing him to turn around and go balistic.
So what part of that leads to the conclusion that he was not prepared to administer a beat down to Mota. Parra hit him with a towel and he was ready to beat him up, Mota hit him with a baseball...why should I not think that he was prepared to chase him down in the clubhouse and beat him up?

As for trading him, is there really no pitcher that would be good enough to give up a couple years of Fielder to obtain?

Why on Earth would anyone think of trading such a player (unless he is in his last year of team control and the said team is out of the playoff picture)?
To sell high.
Hard to tell if his value is at its peak, but selling Fielder would likely close a large paned window of opportunity to contend for a title. Half of his offensive production would be difficult to replace, much less all of it. Unless you can get a #1 and a #3 starting pitcher in return, I don't see how trading him could be considered a step in the right direction at this point.

Unless you can get a #1 and a #3 starting pitcher in return, I don't see how trading him could be considered a step in the right direction at this point.
That's fine. The point is that for the right offer, he should be considered tradeable.

Unless you can get a #1 and a #3 starting pitcher in return, I don't see how trading him could be considered a step in the right direction at this point.
That's fine. The point is that for the right offer, he should be considered tradeable.
If that's the point, then I would have to assume everyone is tradeable. So what's the point again?

No team is looking to give up that much good young pitching right now. I doubt there is a team out there that will give up to quality upper rotation (and I'm assuming young, that's what you mean, right?) for one slugger, no matter how good he is, that they will only control for two more seasons.

This idea of trading Fielder is completely fan generated, so it's almost pointless to talk about. Melvin is not going to trade him unless bowled over by an offer, and that's not going to happen right now. He's not going to shop him around this off-season, and thus lose any leverage he might have in a potential trade. There is no one waiting in the wings in the Brewers organization that will come close to replacing Fielder's offensive production. Please don't suggest Gamel, as he is not close to the hitter that Fielder is. We are talking about a player who, if Albert Pujols was not in the NL, would probably be the the MVP this season. He's 25 and nowhere close to declining yet, so this idea that we'd be "selling high" on him by trading him with two years left of team control is ludicrous. He has improved on his glove work as well. Yeah, can't wait to see him hit his peak years with another team, can we?

Sorry for ranting, but I just hate this idea of trading Fielder the more and more it gets suggested.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If that's the point, then I would have to assume everyone is tradeable. So what's the point again?
Thanks, the condescension is appreciated.

I'd say Braun (due to his contract) is not tradeable and neither is Yo. Fielder, may be as he does not have a long term contract and if the team feels that he is a time bomb, due to this latest incident.

The guy who is hurt the most by this is probably Braun, when other teams want to plunk someone the pitcher may think: "I'm gonna stay away from that Fielder guy, he is nuts, who knows what he might do, he scares me...I'll just hit that Braun" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wasn't trying to condescending, rather I was pointing out the circular nature of talking about trading franchise-type players. If everyone is tradeable (including Braun and Yo if the offer is appropriate, right?) then why talk about trading these types of players. I think it would be outrageous for Melvin to consider trading Prince before the calendar strikes 2011, unless it would net a load so big it would make the Vikings deal for Herschel Walker look good.

The only one that makes Prince look like a ticking time bomb is Anthony Witrado. I neither saw, nor heard any ticking on Tuesday.

The guy who is hurt the most by this is probably Braun, when other teams want to plunk someone the pitcher may think: "I'm gonna stay away from that Fielder guy, he is nuts, who knows what he might do, he scares me...I'll just hit that Braun" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Good. Then Braun can storm the castle after the game too. That way opposing teams will be scared to throw at the two most important players on the team. When Torre and LaRussa order a hit, they always want to injure the player. This has to stop. If MLB isn't going to do anything about it, then it's up to the players and teams to take the law into their own hands.

Going back to the thread where I talked about how Prince Fielder has anger management issues. I listed a number of reasons for my opinion, this situation just presents another one.
I'd have to agree that appears to be the case. C'mon, running through the stadium underbelly to try to get to the opposing team's clubhouse and Mota, that is just over the top. Amazing that some think this is no big deal. One wonders if they would feel the same were it Pujols running around under Miller Park to try to get to the Brewers clubhouse and McClung.

If he wanted a piece of Mota, he should have charged the mound, right away. This planned premeditated assault on the clubhouse is much worse than going after a guy in the heat of the moment.

Archived