Brewer Fanatic

Building the 2010 Brewers: Who do we deal and what/who do we look for?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haudricourt just tweeted that Melvin talked at the GM meetings with Doug Davis' agent. Starting to sound like he might be penciled in for 2010.

He also posted this a few minutes later.

Agent Scott Boras said he expects Brewers to resume their interest in free-agent lefty Jarrod Washburn though the sides haven't talked yet.

http://twitter.com/Haudricourt/statuses/5605021646

Haudricourt just tweeted that Melvin talked at the GM meetings with Doug Davis' agent. Starting to sound like he might be penciled in for 2010.

This is certainly disappointing and that's a nice way to put it. Davis=Looper. I just don't really see the point he hasn't been decent in 5 years. Washburn would at least be an upgrade.

What is your definition of decent? Davis has above average ERA+ 4 of the last 5 years, and has had 190+ IP 4 of the last 5 years. He's been an above average pitcher 3 of the last 5 years when looking at a combination of IP and ERA+.

I know DD isn't exciting, but he would upgrade the Brewers staff. The Brewers should try to get the best pitchers they can, but if they could get him for a reasonable deal I wouldn't be as upset as some here seem to be.

Davis and Washburn equals the Brewers not contending once again next year. If these are the best pitchers the Brewers will add to the rotation we will be worse than last year due to the fact that the lineup as of today looks appreciably weaker. I would really hope that the plans for the offseason were not to use the Cameron money for Davis and Washburn.

Fine, I'll give Davis decent, but he has a horrible WHIP and a declining K/9 ratio. So, I guess I would expect him to drop somewhere below decent in the next few years. It just seems a little unimaginative to me. He does answer the bell every 5th day so to speak, but I'd still rather take a chance on one of the higher upside injury risk pitchers. I think Melvin is a solid GM so I'll withhold my complete judgement, even if we do sign Davis, until the regular season starts.

As for Clay it would take Gamel, Lawrie, Scarpetta/Odorizzi, and a PTBNL. You are not going to be getting Clay on anything less than that.
I would sign Doug Davis. I would make the trade for Clay by giving up Gamel, Lawrie and others if need be and I would sign Chone Figgens to play third and leadoff for us. Bring up Lucroy or Salome and I hate to say it but see if we can re-sign Kendell on the cheap to catch 40 games and be a mentor to Lucroy/Salome. Re-sign Counsell and bring in an outfield bat for the bench.

Davis isn't going to sign for 2/$10M or 3/$12M. I'm guessing the minimum is 2/$16M and I think he is looking for 3/$30M. There's not money to get 3 good SP in FA. If Davis is signed, he would probably project to be the #3 SP for the Brewers.

Would anyone be willing to clean out the farm if it meant getting two low cost, top of the rotation options such as Cole Hamels and Edwin Jackson? They would both be under team control for the next two years... It appears that Detriot may trade Jackson as a cost control measure. It was also brought up in the "Cole Hamels" thread that he (Hamels) could possibly be had as well. Any thoughts?

I really can't see this team putting together a package for a top notch starter at this point. The flops of Hart and Hardy coupled with the injury history of Weeks should teach us the lesson that we can't pencil in starters for the year, expect solid production, and have no viable backup plan beyond scrap heap minor league free agents. If the farm system is run completely bare, as we're not strong enough to give up several good players and still have guys left to contribute, we're left very in a vulnerable position when it comes to organizational depth. I've always backed the CC trade because it got us to the playoffs, but Hart falling apart makes me really wish we were looking at several cheap years of Laporta.

Davis and Washburn equals the Brewers not contending once again next year. If these are the best pitchers the Brewers will add to the rotation we will be worse than last year due to the fact that the lineup as of today looks appreciably weaker. I would really hope that the plans for the offseason were not to use the Cameron money for Davis and Washburn.

Dude, we get it. You've posted your dislike for Davis and Washburn, as well as how Kendall will be coming back but you don't like it in about 75% of your posts. Just make that your signature.

Dude, we get it. You've posted your dislike for Davis and Washburn, as well as how Kendall will be coming back but you don't like it in about 75% of your posts. Just make that your signature.
You really seem to have it in for bklynbrewcrew. You went after him in the Edwin Jackson thread too. I'm pretty sure these types of posts are against BF.net rules. We should ask a moderator to be sure though.

Edit: Mods. Feel free to delete this. I know it is off topic and does not contribute to the discussion. It just seems like bklynbrewcrew is being singled out.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Archived