Brewer Fanatic

Cheap improvements at catcher

igor67

If the Giants don't resign Bengie Molina or no other team goes hard after Molina I would like to see the Brewers give Molina a 2 or 3 year contract. Molina is great defensively and isn't bad with the Bat. The only negative is that he will be 36 next season which maybe to much of a risk for the Brewers to take on with his age and the amount of money they would have to pay for him.

If the Brewers could get Molina for 2 years at $8m per year and a team option for a third year that would fix the Brewers catching problems for the next 2 years at least. Molina could also mentor Salome or Lucroy in his final year of his contract. I don't think either Lucroy or Salome will be ready for next year to be the everyday starter and I doubt the Brewers would waste a year of Salome's or Lucroy's without them playing nearly everyday. I believe the Brewers would go with Corporan and Rivera or Kendall and Rivera for another year before they rush Salome or Lucroy up.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think $8m per year is overpaying. By quite a bit. If he would take 1yr/$4m I'd do that.
You know Molina is going to be looking for something more than just 1 yr and somewhere between $6-8 wouldn't be overpaying he made $6m this year so I doubt he would accept anything lower than $6m. If it would be a 1 year deal you would definitely have to up the offer from $4m. I would still take Molina next year over a Corporan and Rivera catching duo.

The only way I would accept Kendall back would be solely to tutor Salome with Salome as the starter, Kendall only coming in as a late-inning defensive replacement, and McGehee back with good knees so he can actually serve as an emergency catcher should something happen to Kendall as a late-inning replacement. Or find a modern-day Charlie Moore - a 5th OF who can also catch, but they traded the only one I can think of off the top of my head (Rottino).

Then again, they could probably find a veteran catcher as good defensively as Kendall who could tutor Salome but for a couple million less in salary.

Then again, they could probably find a veteran catcher as good defensively as Kendall who could tutor Salome but for a couple million less in salary.

I agree, if we're going to be bad at the position, lets at least be cheap, so we have more to spend on pitching. I'd rather have Henry Blanco. He is still a good defender, and he's a better hitter than he used to be. Still not good, but better than Kendall. Blanco is playing for $750 K this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Kendall must have this entire organization under a spell or something because there are few if any catchers in baseball today who play as many games as he does. The guy is really not a major league caliber player anyone; unfortunately I will be shocked if he isnt back next year in the same role he has today. The majority of this board doesnt really just how much Melvin loves the guy.

somewhere between $6-8 wouldn't be overpaying he made $6m this year so I doubt he would accept anything lower than $6m.

This I don't get. As with Cameron, why do aging, downside veterans deserve a raise? Injury risk is greater, production decline is likely. Why pay more for a 37 year-old catcher (CFer) then when he was 36? Its bass ackwards.

I agree, if we're going to be bad at the position, lets at least be cheap, so we have more to spend on pitching. I'd rather have Henry Blanco. He is still a good defender, and he's a better hitter than he used to be. Still not good, but better than Kendall. Blanco is playing for $750 K this year.

Good point X. I'd take either Blanco or Kendall back at $1 million or so...I don't know if both or one would be realistic though. Hopefully at least one of them is. I'd love to get someone like Blanco or even Kendall to split time with Salome next year. I've seen him quite a few times and while I'm still not sold that he can catch at the MLB level he has had his share amount of injuries this year (there's a post up in the minor league thread from his coach). I had a feeling some of his injuries weren't being reported, but go check out the other forum because there may be reasons it wasn't (as Jim noted). I think at a certain point or time Salome needs a shot and if worst case happens you have Blanco or Kendall catching and call up Corporan or sign/trade a middle of the road veteran. I know it's not ideal, but I don't see another option. Do you really have Salome share time with Lucroy next year at AAA? If our offense was a bit better at certain positions in the lineup, having a bad #8 hitter really wouldn't be a huge deal. It's magnified this year IMO because of individual struggles and injuries.

I've stated before I thought Corporan might be in the mix next year, but I don't know if that's realistic at this point. I don't like Kendall that much at all, but at a much lower price and half the games or so I'd be alright with it.

Archived