Brewer Fanatic

Cheap improvements at catcher

igor67
Clearly we aren't going to see Kendall dislodged this year. However for next year are there any free agent options that would be better than just letting LuCroy and Salome compete in the Spring? There are strengths and weaknesses to both players (as long as I don't have to hear anymore nonsense about how good of a game Kendall calls). I suspect that barring something fairly dramatic we would be unlikely to see Salome win. A combination of him not having really mashed in AAA the way that makes him a big difference maker yet, and the continued questions on the defense make it seem unlikely they'd go that route (counting spring and fall league there are however about 3 months to change that). LuCroy on the other hand gives you that nice conservative solid defense. So the question is what to expect offensively. Just taking his current AA numbers and translating them for difficulty gives a player whose offense would have already generated 5 more runs than Kendall. If you take a stab at a Peak performance (Baseball Prospectus) you get a current increase of between 10-15 runs. If you adjusted those numbers for an entire season you have to be figuring on a conservative increase in offense of about 10 runs up to 20 runs on the high side. And of course you save 5 million on Kendall's salary. Any other free agent ideas.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FA catchers after this season

Josh Bard BOS

Henry Blanco SD

Ramon Castro CWS

Ramon Hernandez * CIN

Jason Kendall MIL

Jason LaRue STL

Victor Martinez * CLE

Benji Molina SF

Jose Molina NYY

Miguel Olivo * KC

Mike Redmond MIN

Brian Schneider NYM

Yorvit Torrealba * COL

Jason Varitek * BOS

Gregg Zaun * BAL

* - player whose current contract includes 2010 option

That list is about as attractive as Roger Federer's wife. I'd rather let Lucroy/Salome battle it out in camp for a spot and give Rivera the other spot. I'd also try to divide the playing time to 50/50 between Rivera and Lucroy/Salome. If I were Melvin, I'd also explore the trade market to see if a catcher is available for cheap. Oh please help me if Jason Kendall is on our 2010 roster.

I actually think that September (if current trends continue) should be used as a tryout for Salome and Lucroy. Cut Kendall at the end of August and let Rivera, Lucroy, & Salome each get a couple starts per week.

I would rather try and trade for Snyder. Reportedly the Diamondbacks are trying to get rid of him for anything at this point. They are also reported to be looking at releasing him if they can not find a trade for him. Snyder is someone the Brewers should look at trading for Snyder is under contract until 2012 but the final year has a buyout of $750k. A Hall and Iribarren trade could get this done and I'm not even sure that Iribarren would really be needed to be added to the deal. The Diamondbacks would be saving $2.35m from this trade if it was just Hall for Snyder.

A Hall and Iribarren trade could get this done
Yeah, I really doubt that. You have to overpay for catchers in the trade market, not give them a terrible player and a utility guy as well as saving them a little money.

I wouldn't mind Bard on a cheap contract.

Yeah, I really doubt that. You have to overpay for catchers in the trade market, not give them a terrible player and a utility guy as well as saving them a little money.
Except that the Diamondbacks are looking to dump Snyder and Hall plus a utility guy will probably get that done especially with how much salary relief they would be getting in return. Oh wait that is right you just want to ignore that fact.

The major problem with Snyder is that he complicates what the Brewers do with Salome and LuCroy with the contract running through 2011. Yeah, you might get him for Hall, but blocking prospects is an issue. Especially since Macha really hasn't shown much creativity in finding younger players playing time.

Robert

I don't know how cheap he would be, but I'd add B. Molina for a year. He'll be 36, but he still puts up decent offensive numbers, and he has thrown out about 24% attempted steals.

If not, I don't want to kendall's pathetic bat in the lineup another year. .269 slugging, come on. A few years ago after they drafted Lawrie, we all felt pretty good about our catching situation. If they don't sign someone markedly better than Kendall, then give Salome the job.

The Dbacks' are looking to unload Snyder. He's rather expensive given his production level. It has me a bit bummed, because 3 or 4 years ago I was lobbying for the Brewers to acquire Montero, as he was my favorite player in the AFL. He's such a high energy, rah-rah player that everyone loves him. Snyder could be acquired, or the Crew could do what the Dbacks did with Snyder and Montero by letting Lucroy and Salome split time at catcher. let them each catch around 81 games. They likely won't be over-exposed in the big leagues, but they also won't be rotting away on the bench. I'm sick of catchers going 120+ games

Except that the Diamondbacks are looking to dump Snyder and Hall plus a utility guy will probably get that done especially with how much salary relief they would be getting in return. Oh wait that is right you just want to ignore that fact.
Ignore what fact? There's no way they trade Snyder for Hall's contract and a utility player. I guarantee at least 15 other teams offer something better than that.

Ignore what fact? There's no way they trade Snyder for Hall's contract and a utility player. I guarantee at least 15 other teams offer something better than that.
If they have wouldn't he be traded by now? Hall's contract is a lot less worse than Snyder's is and it gives them financial wiggle room to sign a free agent or two in the 2010 off season. They would be losing all or nearly all of their high priced players in that year. Snyder would still be there yet and would be a very costly back up catcher.

Lets see financial help or dumping the player. Hmmmm that is one big decision I wonder which one they would take.

If they have wouldn't he be traded by now? Hall's contract is a lot less worse than Snyder's is and it gives them financial wiggle room to sign a free agent or two in the 2010 off season. They would be losing all or nearly all of their high priced players in that year. Snyder would still be there yet and would be a very costly back up catcher.
So you really think that the D'Backs are going to trade a decent catcher for a completely useless Hall and a utility guy just to add $3.65M to their payroll next year but to save $5.25M on the final year of his contract?

I'm actually done debating this. If you can't see how awful that is for Arizona, you never will.

I'd let Lucroy and Salome battle it out and have Rivera as the backup or stop gap starter.

Amen.. if i see jason kendall in a brewer uniform next season i will probably throw up and freak out. He is an absolute joke up there offensively. Let them duke it out and the loser goes to AAA. I think in the end Salome will win it as he is starting to heat up in AAA and he has more offensive upside then Lucroy.

I really hope the Brewers staff still isn't hanging onto the "Kendall is a great game caller" or whatever it is that they proclaim. Let's get some young blood behind the plate and especially young blood that can hit.

I also don't believe he's that good defensively anymore. His throws to second sometimes are way off.

I didn't even think about adding a free agent catcher before this post. I just assumed it would be a battle between Rivera and Salome. What's wrong with those two for a year? Let Lucroy spend a littlle more time in the minors, see what we have in Salome. If he takes the starting job great. If not, he learns the big league pitchers and spells Rivera maybe twice a week.

Archived