Brewer Fanatic

Hart to DL (appendectomy) -- Hall recalled

brewmann04
I wish they were bringing up Jason Bourgeois. What's Hall going to do if he can't do well, go back down? Now its be a hero or... I don't know. If he kept raking in the minors some team might give him a try and pay at least some of his salary above the minimum.
Formerly AKA Pete

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If there was ever a time to play Gerrut and find out what they have in him, is this not it? Seems clear he is the best defensive option out there, and has demonstrated some ability to hit in the not too distant past. Why on earth would they go with Bill Hall, who just a few short days ago decided he was having enough trouble hitting that he accepted a AAA assignment. He got his 'new swing' figured out that quickly?

This seems like the perfect excuse for Melvin / Mark A. to become sellers (assuming they get guys through waivers). From a PR standpoint, it would have been tough to convince everyone that you were doing the right thing before all of the injuries. Now, a statement like "We really had a good team put together, and were trying to make the playoffs for a second straight year, but key injuries to Weeks, Suppan, McClung, Bush and Hart made us realize that our best course of action was to get good value out of the guys we would have lost after the season anyway," should be enough to convince even the casual fan that they made an attempt, but all of these injuries will make it really tough for the Brewers to remain competitive.

I wish he'd have stayed longer at AAA, but since he's up I think that Hall should get as many ABs as possible in an attempt to showcase him for a trade. Teams know he can play 3B, SS, 2B, CF, LF and now RF. If he can put together a good month, maybe they'll get something for him, and more importantly, lose his salary so that we can hopefully bring in some pitching and sign our key young players.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The schedule could be soft enough after this week that the Brewers may not completely fall out of contention. I imagine the Brewers don't make a move until the last week of August. Even then, Cameron may be the only attractive piece.

I'm hoping Hall has the hot last two months that will let the Brewers deal him for more than a bag of baseballs.
I would pay someone quite a few million to take Hall's $8.5 2010 contract for a bag of mushy, rotten, disease-ridden minor league practice balls.

The schedule could be soft enough after this week that the Brewers may not completely fall out of contention. I imagine the Brewers don't make a move until the last week of August. Even then, Cameron may be the only attractive piece.

Softer then Washington and San Diego, where we just went 3-4? We haven't won a series in a month and a half. I'm usually not a negative person, but it really seems like there are a lot of buyers out there right now, and we could take advantage of that if we would just realize that our chances of making the playoffs are slim and getting slimmer, and our best move is likely to be selling off some parts to get players that can help us as soon as next year.

Cameron and Hoffman both should be pretty attractive, especially if they're going to be Type A free agents (I don't know if they will or not).

Counsell would probably bring back something, as he plays all over the field, is putting together a career season, and has been a good playoff player in the past.

Even Kendall might bring something in a trade for a team looking for "veteran leadership" for their pitching staff.

As for Hart, I do wish him the best. I hope he's able to get fully healthy and come back strong after the injury. I, too, see him as an important part of next year's team, if for no other reason than that his trade value is probably as low as ever right now, so holding onto him is probably the best option. We know he has a good player in him. We've seen flashes of it this season, and I hope that player emerges for next season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The only team they've played since the ASB that's over .500 is Atlanta. And they're 7-10 in that time. If they can't at least go .500 against the teams we've played recently (Cincy, Pitt, Wash, Atl, SD) then I don't see a reasonable hope that they pull out of the tailspin anytime soon. It can't get much softer than most of the worst teams in the league.

Softer then Washington and San Diego, where we just went 3-4?

I'm fairly confident that I didn't say softer. I also don't believe a week's worth of games tells us more than we already know. Also, Bush should be back later this month and that should definitely help.

The Brewers could be an interesting position at the end of this month. If they don't completely fall out of contention, they will be looking at a very tough September where they are competing against teams that look to be playoff bound. If they play well enough, they will be climbing over those teams. Or they could totally tank and win 10 games for the rest of the year.

As for other players being traded, we'll have to see how the month plays out. I have doubts as to how attractive Hoffman will be. I think most playoff teams have a closer they are happy with, and I don't think Hoffman would be considered attractive as a setup guy. I doubt Kendall is considered attractive. Maybe if a team's top catchers catch swine flu. Counsell is a good point. I'm so used to people thinking he stinks that I forget that other people can like him. He could definitely be moved for an A ball pitcher lottery ticket, maybe more if a team needs him enough.

I'm not so worried about the last week as I am worried about how they've played since before AS break. It's been a long time since they've played well. Before the last two vs. Washington, wasn't it over a month since they'd even won two in a row?

I still try to have faith, and will continue to root the team on, but it's just looking more and more to me like they may be better off next year if they sell this year. Hardy's still another option I didn't mention above. A Hardy/Hoffman or Hardy/Cameron package might be enough to land a young pitcher, especially if a team considers they'll not only get two good players, but possibly four good draft picks.

P.S. I don't think much of Kendall either, and it hurt to write that they may get something for him, but you never know what another GM may be looking for. For some reason, Yost and Macha won't give him a day off.

~Bill Walsh

According to the JS, he's to partake in absolutely no activity for 7 days after the surgery. Sounds like he might have been in pretty bad shape.

I talked to the EMT I work with and he said the procedure Hart had done according to the JS (laparoscopy) is a minimally invasive procedure that would only be done if the appendix was in tact, and shouldn't take more than a week or two to heal at the very, very most. He was also completely stunned about the length of time Hart was expected to miss. That they're saying he'll be out at least a month makes me wonder whether there's a lot more here than we're being told, or makes me wonder about the competency of the Brewers' medical staff.

My first thought, upon hearing the month-long estimate, was that Doug would rather err on the longer side (i.e. pleasantly surprise people if he can be back in 2-3 weeks) than the opposite. But I'm one of those hopeful types.

And yeah, I can see how "soft enough" is different from "softer" in describing the Brewers' recent schedule.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
According to the JS, he's to partake in absolutely no activity for 7 days after the surgery. Sounds like he might have been in pretty bad shape.

I talked to the EMT I work with and he said the procedure Hart had done according to the JS (laparoscopy) is a minimally invasive procedure that would only be done if the appendix was in tact, and shouldn't take more than a week or two to heal at the very, very most. He was also completely stunned about the length of time Hart was expected to miss. That they're saying he'll be out at least a month makes me wonder whether there's a lot more here than we're being told, or makes me wonder about the competency of the Brewers' medical staff.

I'm not going to discount the testimony of people who work in the field. I'm just saying that's what the JS said. I'd agree that there is likely more going on here than what has been disclosed if he's out for more than 2-3 weeks.

This site: http://www.johnmuirhealth...paroscopic_appendix.html explains the procedure and the follow up,"What can I Expect After Surgery?"

* Incision sites will be tender. Take pain medication as directed.

* You make take a shower two days after surgery.

* You may experience bloating or constipation. Resume a healthy, high-fiber diet as soon as you go home.

* Lift objects that are easy to handle. Use your legs to handle most of the work. Avoid strenuous activity.

* Walking and stair climbing are good to improve your circulation.

* Avoid driving for seven days after your surgery and when taking pain medication.

* Assume sexual intercourse as soon as you feel comfortable and have discussed this with your surgeon.

* Call and schedule a follow-up appointment within one to two weeks after surgery. Schedule any additional follow-up appointments.

* Have any stitches removed depending upon the type your physician uses.

* Discuss with your surgeon your return to an office job within 2 weeks and up to 4 weeks for physically demanding jobs.

Playing RF ain't no desk job, so it sounds like 4 weeks to me. Even though the surgery is minimally invasive there are still stitches to remove and incisions that need plenty of time to heal.

I'm guessing diving catches in RF and headfirst slides into 2B wouldn't be recommended for several weeks.

That does sound odd, unless, like someone said before, his appendix ruptured or there was some sort of infection. I spent my 15th birthday in the hospital with a ruptured appendix, and it was not fun at all. It was close to a week before I could even handle any food besides Jello. And walking was difficult at first because they cut through some of my abdominal muscles and it hurt to stretch them out by standing upright. I can see where a doctor would say "no activity for 7 days." On the other hand, I was sick for a good solid week before going into the hospital, and it sounds like Corey's illness came on suddenly. And with the type of procedure that was done (different than what was done with me), it sounds like they wouldn't really have to cut up his ab muscles much either. Unless this was more serious than the Brewers are letting on, being out for a month seems like a pretty long time.

FYI, no one is gonna take the time to read all that.

What's this referring to? And what happened to the post that was at the top of page 3 yesterday>?

I think PrinceEatMeat's post refers to the post that (for 20 post per page viewers) appeared at the top of page 3 on Monday. It has since been deleted by the author.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived