Brewer Fanatic

2010 Free Agent Starting Pitching Options

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would it be so horrible if Lopez accepted Arby, and was moved to the OF, with Hart traded for pitching?

I love having players on 1 year deals. Keep Lopez motivated for next year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'd roll the dice with Brett Myers. Just a few years back he was the ace of the Phillies staff. He seems to have gotten somewhat of a raw deal there. They've moved him from starter to closer to bullpen to starter. I'm sure for good reason, but he's always had the stuff and I'm sure the Brewers would assure him a starting roll. Even better if they don't give up picks for him.

I'd wouldn't mind taking a shot with Harden either. I'm sure his injury problems would be maddening, but a half year of him is probably better than a full year of most on the that list. Just thinking back to Sheets; what I wouldn't have given for even a half season of him this year.

I really can't see how Lopez would net 500-ish ABs with the Crew next season. The only place he'd see ABs is backing up Weeks at 2B & PH-ing, and there wouldn't be a ton there. I wasn't aware of/paying attention to what his salary number would be in my prior comments, so I apologize.

If he can be retained for a reasonable amount of $, I think he's a no-brainer to bring back.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Paying Lopez $6-7M to be a bench player is not an option.

Your right, and no one is suggesting he would be. He could start in a corner OF spot, and would help improve our team OPS by playing there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I completely agree with X ellence. Lopez is a guy you find a place for. Either you move him or you move Weeks. He brings offensive skills that have been sorely lacking for years with this team and he would allow Weeks to hit in the middle of the lineup where he might blossom as an RBI guy.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One thing the Brewers can't do is allow talent just to walk. We gave up some decent talent to get him, so we can't just let him go. We need to offer him arby and let the chips fall where they may. If he accepts, maybe we move Weeks. Or we trade Lopez. If he rejects arby, we might still sign him or get picks as compensation.

We can't just let him go for nothing.

Same for Hoffman and Cameron. Looper - I'm still on the fence...

Put me in the group that has Suppan as the long man out of the pen (since I suggested it last offseason). One starter via trade, one starter via sign.

Why not trade McGehee? He has a lot of value right now, especially if he finishes the year batting above 300. I am all for trading him or Gamel for a pitcher. I would also pickup Looper's option, as it would be easy to trade Looper or Bush with their $5 price tag with a McGehee or a hardy to net a starting pitcher. Think about it. If you are another team who needs a 3B or a SS and the Brewers want one of your starters, you will be more inclined to make the deal if you are netting a starter in return.

Archived