Brewer Fanatic

2010 Free Agent Starting Pitching Options

I selfishly don't want to deal with the media and this board if Bedard was here. A guy who often takes himself out at 100 pitches in a city that thought Sheets didn't give enough last year with 198 innings?

This is very true- Bedard would be a legit #1 or #2 pitcher especially considering what a switch to the NL would do for his numbers, but he's got major durability issues.

If it would be on a one-year deal, I'm fine with it, but any longer and we're asking for trouble.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess one thing I disagree with some of you on is Suppan being in next year's rotation. I believe he'll be the longman in the bullpen and the "6th starter" that fills in when injury occurs. Yeah, he's got a huge contract. But that contract is going to look bad anyway. There's no sense in having him start all four years just because of the contract, a la how we basically handle Hall (he fills in when there's an injury otherwise he hardly plays and it'll be this way next year too if he's here).

I believe Yo, Parra, and Bush are in the rotation next year. I believe the other two spots are filled in the offseason...one through a Hardy trade and one through a signing.

I'd go after Bedard, Hudson, and Escobar. I think we'll get outbid on Bedard, but its worth a try on a one-year $10ish MM deal. I'd really like to sign Hudson and Escobar to incentive-laden deals (i think someone already mentioned this). The nice thing is you can put Escobar in the pen if he doesn't win a spot out of ST (although we'd probably have to sign him as a starter) and stretch him out to start when someone gets hurt.

As for Hardy, i still think boston makes a lot of sense, with them using lowrie as a utility player. I think a package of Tazawa/Bowden + Manny Delcarmen would work, more likely with Bowden as the pitching prospect. A rotation like this could be very competitive

Yo

Hudson

Bush

Parra

Suppan/Bowden (loser of Rotation spot to 'pen)

Delcarmen could close for us and save money on Hoffman, too.

Heyman at SI.com speculates that Arroyo and Harang could both clear waivers and be had for next to nothing if you were willing to take on their salary.

Juan Cruz would be an interesting option as well.

I expect the Brewers to explore the overpaid pitcher's market more than the free agent market. I suspect with Cameron and Kendall coming off the books, they will invest some money in a Harang type or trade for an overpaid Kazmir type.

Heyman at SI.com speculates that Arroyo and Harang could both clear waivers and be had for next to nothing if you were willing to take on their salary.

Juan Cruz would be an interesting option as well.

I expect the Brewers to explore the overpaid pitcher's market more than the free agent market. I suspect with Cameron and Kendall coming off the books, they will invest some money in a Harang type or trade for an overpaid Kazmir type.

There's a reason Harang will available. He's 11-30 since the start of 2008. Granted his ERA isn't quite so horrible but how is signing a guy like that any kind of an improvement?

Also, I thought I heard it mentioned that Harang has struggled ever since Dick Pole took over as the pitching coach, because Pole has encouraged him not to use his sinker. That would jive with why Coffey wasn't as good with the Reds, because he was urged not to use his sinker, which happens to be his best pitch. Look at how he has done since joining the Brewers. I think the same could happen with Harang. I'd be willing to take a chance on him.
Follow me on Twitter

Because good teams don't pay attention to pitcher's records.
Ok then. What do you like about his .838 and .819 OPS against the last 2 years? Or the 57 HR allowed in his last 325 IP half of which (28) were away from GAB? Or his road ERA in 2009 of 5.45?

Harang has become Suppan over not just one season, but two. One year is a slump, two is a trend.

Harang isn't even close to Suppan's level. Sure, he gives up quite a few dingers, but he has had a K/BB ratio of better than 3/1 the last two years. I'm pretty comfortable saying that he is an average starter. His BABIP's the last two years have been .317 and .346, which can explain some of his struggles. I mean, he isn't an ace or even a #2, but he is certainly a servicable #3/4 starter.

That said, I didn't realize he's due $11MM this year and $14.5MM next (assuming his buyout would not be exercised). I'll gladly pass at that price.

Yeah, if Cincy would eat some of the cost of Harang's remaining contract, it would be worth considering. But overpaying for a mid-rotation type would likely wind up handcuffing the Brewers in the future, and having more slamming Melvin for overpaying & not getting top of the rotation help. Harang would help this year, in which Bush has gone MIA due to injury, but once he's back & healthy it would be hard to justify having both Suppan's & Harang's salaries on the books.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I've just had a bit of a man-crush on Harang since he pitched 10(!) innings against the Brewers on July 23, 2007.

I think Harang would be a very durable workhorse that would greatly improve our bullpen. His K/BB ratio is almost 3.5/1 this year.

I would love to see the Brewers add Halladay or Felix - but I think players like Harang are much more likely.

I was going to point out his k/bb ratio too. Harang is definitely my kind of pitcher. FIP of 4.17. He's not the ace he once was, but he's a solid starter who's better than any starter on the Brewers outside of Gallardo. He is a bit pricy (12.5 mil next year, club option for 2011) but I wonder if the Reds might be willing to kick in a couple mil.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like the team to make a play for Washburn but I know little of what he would command in the FA market. Would his nice year this season make a type A guy?

I wouldn't want to sign him for more than 2 years, but if he could be had he could be a solid addition to bridge us until we get some pitching from the minors (has to happen eventually right?).

Yo

Washburn

Parra

Bush

Suppan/Looper/other

I would like the team to make a play for Washburn but I know little of what he would command in the FA market. Would his nice year this season make a type A guy?

I wouldn't want to sign him for more than 2 years, but if he could be had he could be a solid addition to bridge us until we get some pitching from the minors (has to happen eventually right?).

Yo

Washburn

Parra

Bush

Suppan/Looper/other

Washburn as the #2 starter yuck. That is like putting Suppan as the #2 starter. Don't let Washburn's season this year fool you at an extremely pitchers friendly park. Washburn would be no better than Suppan or Looper.

According to the latest ratings at mlbtraderumors, Washburn is a Type B, and is far closer to not being ranked than being an A.

I didn't realize how much money the Mariners have coming off the books, they could be a serious player in the FA market this offseason, or they could spend a big chunk of that if they offered arby to some players and had them come back.

I wish we'd go after a guy that's been a #1 or #2 when it's a buy low situation. Millwood, Washburn, Vazquez, Harang all within the past year could have been bought pretty low player-wise due to what their contracts are. It seems guys that have been a 1/2 have a decent chance of bouncing back and making you look great in the deal. And even if they don't, you are buying low so you're still coming out ok on the deal if they pitch like a 4.

In the FA list, I hope the Brewers pursue Lackey this offseason. Either that or trade for Halliday, Webb or Cain.
I'd love to get Lackey, but I wouldn't be surpised if the Angels end up re-signing, or maybe another big market club. He's probably the best pitcher that will be available as a FA.

I also wonder if Toronto may try to re-sign Halladay now that they have money freed up because of Rios going to the ChiSox.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived