Brewer Fanatic

Could McGehee be the Brewers best chance to net some pitching this offseason?

DougJones43

I'm hoping that J.J gets hot in Septmber to increase trade value. Easy then to slide in Escobar. Casey is too valuable to let go!!

Hardy should get us a middle of the road starter

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what? I wish UZR was never cited around here...at least in the Major League forum. All it does is start a debate about whether or not UZR is a good statistic, and frankly it gets kind of old.

I think McGehee is a decent enough fielder, based on watching the guy play. Is that fair enough to say?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Fielding % is not a good stat to separate average defense from above average, but it can tell you if someone is below average. McGehee has a .884 fielding % at 3rd, the league average is .960. His range factor is also below average. I think it is safe to say he is a below average fielder, maybe not terrible but below average.

McGehee was recognized as one of the top defenders at 3b in AAA last season. I imagine his lack of range and errors have much more to do with his bum leg than his natural ability. I think once he gets that fixed, he´ll go back to being an above average defensive 3b, unless in the past year he somehow forgot how to play a position that he excelled at in the minors.

I think it is safe to say he is a below average fielder, maybe not terrible but below average.

If we had a bigger sample, maybe. But this is 43 chances this year. Last year in 16 chances he was perfect. And at 2B this year, he has a 98% FP and above average RF in 100 chances. I think it would be somewhat unusual for someone to be good at 2B and not at 3B.

McGehee was recognized as one of the top defenders at 3b in AAA last season. I imagine his lack of range and errors have much more to do with his bum leg than his natural ability. I think once he gets that fixed, he´ll go back to being an above average defensive 3b, unless in the past year he somehow forgot how to play a position that he excelled at in the minors.
Where you did see that because Total Zone had him as basically a neutral or average defender? My eye test tells me he doesn't have plus range (very average best case) at 2nd or 3rd so if he sticks I'd rather have him in LF. The only problem with McGehee in LF is that Braun isn't anywhere near the defender he gets credit for being on this site. When you are at the games and can watch him as he reacts to the ball off the bat it's surprising how many times he turns his shoulders the wrong way, he just doesn't seem to read a ball off the bat any better in LF than he did at 3B. On TV we never get the switch till he's already moving towards the ball so that's something we don't get to see. He makes plays because of his athleticism but generally doesn't have a good feel for what to do on the fringe type plays so I think any talk of Braun moving out of LF is somewhat premature at this point.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Braun isn't anywhere near the defender he gets credit for being on this site.

You mean Braun isn't an average defender? Most people here think Braun is average at best.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Actually lots have called for him to move to RF which means they thinks he's good in LF. If you're average among a group that contains Manny Ramirez, Carlos Lee, Adam Dunn, and Alfonso Soriano you might not be that good.

Actually lots have called for him to move to RF which means they thinks he's good in LF.
You are making an assumption. Very few have actually said they think Braun is better than average. I think he is average and want him in RF because we, right now, have Hall who has limited experience in the OF and Catalanatto who isn't very good either. I think Braun can improve in the field and be a good outfielder in the future.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived