Brewer Fanatic

Could McGehee be the Brewers best chance to net some pitching this offseason?

DougJones43
But if he has that type of success i would think the brewers would want him to stick around. Bill hall has got to go somehow

It's kind of interesting that you'd put these two thoughts right next to each other, because wanting somebody to stick around based on a limited period of success is exactly why we still have Bill Hall right now.

Just imagine if we could go back and trade Bill Hall after the 2006 season. I have a sneaking suspicion McGehee could turn out to be a similar case. I think Melvin missed the boat on "selling high" already a few times -- Hall and Hardy being the prime examples, and I really don't want to see it happen again. Particularly when the organization is in such dire need of arms. We have oodles of position players which gives us a lot of flexibility, especially if Lopez sticks around somehow.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think McGehee would bring that much back in a trade. Maybe as something to sweeten the with JJ or Corey but by himself I don't see us getting anything of much value. Rather keep him if he isn't included in a package than just see what we can get with him. I think he's could be a nice supersub and good guy off the bench.

I think some tenses are confusing people here. THe UZR at 3B has been horrible. But it doesn't tell us much about Casey or his future ability. It doesn't mean that he is bad, or will be bad, just that he has been bad. It's as meaningful as a week's worth of at bats.

I think some tenses are confusing people here. THe UZR at 3B has been horrible. But it doesn't tell us much about Casey or his future ability. It doesn't mean that he is bad, or will be bad, just that he has been bad. It's as meaningful as a week's worth of at bats.
Right. His defense has been bad at 3B this year. I have a more through post on my opinion of his defense earlier in the thread. To sum up, I think he will be average and I believe Gamel could match or better his defense.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Obviously trading Hardy for pitching is priority #1 this offseason, but like others have said 1) if someone were to offer a good pitcher for McGehee alone there's no way Melvin turns it down, and B) he would be a great addition to a trade with Hardy or Hart to a team that needs power and infield help, like... the Giants. Cain and Lincecum are probably off-limits, but I would love for the Brewers to get some of their pitching. (I wonder if Hardy, McGehee, and Hart could land Cain?)

Like someone said to me a few weeks ago, I think there is a 95% chance that at least two of Hardy/Weeks/McGehee/Hall/Iribarren/Heether will be traded in the offseason. Unfortunately though, barring a crap-for-crap trade, I think Hall is your backup SS to Escobar.

The tendinitis in the knee is something to watch. We're talking about a rookie who has trouble staying on the field. GM's will be wondering if this is going to be a recurrent situation, whether or not that is fair.
I'm not a doctor, but my guess is that tendinitis is something that will go away with rest in the offseason.

I have a sneaking suspicion McGehee could turn out to be a similar case.

Honestly, I agree. I think there's a real possibility this is a one-year-wonder sort of thing and I think the Brewers should try to turn that into something useful, especially if they bring Lopez back to cover the utility IF role.

Ideally, Hall sticks in the outfield this August and he gets over this whole "I was good til they moved me to CF" thing. At the end of the day, I think we would settle for him as a starter if he hit like he did the year he was in CF, which #s weren't that far from Cam's over the last year. McGehee would fit as the super sub of the infield and you'd need to give AE, Gamel and Weeks coming off injury a lot of rest.

Then again, this is extremely doubtful

Formerly Andersoc420

What hurts McGehee's trade value is that relatively speaking, he's had success over a limited amount of AB's and he's not young relative to his MLB experience. But those that point to his BABIP as unsustainable just haven't been watching the games. Nobody on this team has more consistently centered balls and that includes Braun and Fielder. Many of McGehee's outs have been line drives at outfielders.

Frankly, I'd deal Gamel before I'd deal McGehee but I don't see either being dealt. Gamel's K rate is a red flag especially for a guy who's more of a 25-30 HR guy than a 35+ big time HR threat.

Then (and I know I'll get blasted on here for this) there is the personality differences between the two. McGehee has that blue collar persona that attracts people to him. Gamel strikes me as sort of out there.

I like everything I've seen of McGehee. He swings at strikes. He hits with men on base. He looks like a ballplayer. Yes we'll need time to see if indeed he's a late bloomer but I'd rather take the risk to find that out with him wearing a Brewer uniform.

As for positions, I see Gamel sticking at 3B. I see Hart getting traded in the offseason with Braun moving to RF and McGehee settling in LF. McGehee has shown the power to play a corner OF spot and the system is deeper in infielders.

I have a sneaking suspicion McGehee could turn out to be a similar case.

Honestly, I agree. I think there's a real possibility this is a one-year-wonder sort of thing and I think the Brewers should try to turn that into something useful, especially if they bring Lopez back to cover the utility IF role.

Yeah, I agree. After his strong season, McGehee could likely bring back something really useful to fill another need. It's obvious they probably see Gamel as the long term 3B anyway (since Melvin didn't trade him). I would not want to risk holding onto Casey too long, and seeing him become another Bill Hall.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Trade Hart and Hardy for pitching. (Even though both have limited trade value compared to last winter.) Move Weeks to CF (where he should have been since day one as a pro!) or RF. Gamel at 3b, Casey at 2b. Escobar at 3b. Free agent for remaining outfield position.

What hurts McGehee's trade value is that relatively speaking, he's had success over a limited amount of AB's and he's not young relative to his MLB experience. But those that point to his BABIP as unsustainable just haven't been watching the games. Nobody on this team has more consistently centered balls and that includes Braun and Fielder. Many of McGehee's outs have been line drives at outfielders.
Also keep in mind that McGehee's BABIP in the minors has generally been pretty high. Some guys just carry a higher BABIP over their entire careers, so I usually prefer to compare a player's single season number to his career averages instead as opposed to other players.

That said, I think we need to shop him around at the very least. I do think he's a good hitter, but I don't see any reason to believe that he's a .900 OPS type of hitter, so we would likely be selling high.

This is interesting too. The problem I see with McGehee is that I don't think he's as good as he's been this year. He has a .353 BABIP, I doubt he can sustain that. He would probably be the first one I'd trade since I don't think Weeks would have much value due to the injury and lack of track record (although McGehee doesn't have much of a track record either), I'm not sure McGehee could play the outfield and if he did, could he play RF, would you have to move Braun to RF and play McGehee in LF?

I'm not sold on McGehee either in terms of how good he'll be going forward. I also don't know if he can play the OF or not...if he can't than it really becomes much more of an issue especially if they bring Lopez back. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have him on the bench, but if Macha is back his role could be very, very limited or he'll be starting. Macha just doesn't seem to be able get his bench guys enough opportunities to keep up with their timing.

In terms of Weeks, I know a lot of people here were thrilled with him (he was playing well no doubt) and I've never been his biggest fan. I think if a team looks at what he did this year and not his injuries or inconsistent play...maybe he'd have some value? I really don't know, but it might be worth considering. I wonder how much Rickie will make on the open market when he's a free agent relatively soon?

I just feel that McGehee is replaceable with Heether and he probably should be dealt if we get a good offer.

I agree. I've wanted Heether up for awhile. He can play anywhere. I do get the feeling though that he's not in the Brewers plans. He's a free agent after this year, correct?

I am 100% into the idea of trading McGehee in the offseason no matter what. I believe he is playing over his head and also has injury concerns... and I think we could get something good back for him right now/in the offseason.

I think Hardy and McGehee together (we might need to throw a lower level prospect in there) could get us a #2... and I think if you have that on the table you need to take it.

Starting pitching is more important than infield depth, I think. We need to take the opportunities we have to get good pitchers, not average pitchers.

In a perfect world you could trade Weeks for young pitching and put Casey at 2B. Even if he does revert back to minor league numbers he'd still be an asset at 2B. Put McGehee in a corner OF spot or 3B and that .741 minor league career OPS isn't going to work very well.

Given Mcgehee's age, do the Brewers still have five years of control?

According to BFNet's salary page they do. I would think that Melvin would like McGehee's minimum salary for the next couple of years to help his budget and he will be looking to trade Hardy and trade/let go Lopez or move Weeks to OF.

I think Hardy and McGehee together (we might need to throw a lower level prospect in there) could get us a #2... and I think if you have that on the table you need to take it.

Starting pitching is more important than infield depth, I think. We need to take the opportunities we have to get good pitchers, not average pitchers.

I love the idea, unfortunately I don't think it's realistic. Nobody is going to give up a solid #2 type starting pitcher for Hardy and McGehee. Think about a year ago or so when Gallardo was the #2 pitcher behind Sheets. Would you trade Gallardo for Hardy and McGehee?? Sure we could get the Nats #2 starter, but I don't think that's what you had in mind.

I think a more practical way to go would be to trade some combination of Weeks, McGehee, Hardy, Hart, etc. for a real solid bullpen arm or two, and/or a starting CF. Not as urgent as starting pitching, but needed just the same. Any real quality starting pitcher that can be had in atrade will have injury issues, or in the last year of their contract. Best bet will be to sign a Free Agent for big bucks, someone with a talent level somewhere between Suppan and Sabathia. Otherwise, I'm sure Melvin will try to turn water into wine by bringing a few guys into camp with potential. Then it's wait for the farm. I just don't see an easy way to add a front of the rotation type of starter, there's lots of teams looking for the same thing.

You have to trade Fielder or Braun to get a package that includes a young major league top of the rotation starter. Trading Hardy, Hart, or McGehee most likely will net some major league ready non star position player and a couple good prospects, including, hopefully, at least one hard throwing pitcher.

Archived