Brewer Fanatic

Could McGehee be the Brewers best chance to net some pitching this offseason?

DougJones43

Looking forward to this offseason, it seems clear that a strong possible course of action for the Brewers would be to try and unload some of their position players for starting pitching. While there has been a lot of discussion about trading Hardy and Hart, is it possible that (if he continues to hit well) Casey McGehee would net the greatest return?

He's only 26. He's very cheap. He can play 3B and 2B. We will have Gamel and Weeks going into next year, and while McGehee would be a great super-sub, this team needs pitching more than infield depth. He currently has an OPS over .900. Trading him seems like it would be the definition of selling high. I can't imagine there wouldn't be teams interested.

The only other thing I could think of to do with him would be trying him out in RF and trading Hart, but I'm not sure how well/quickly McGehee could make that adjustment, and it seems likely that he would be a more valuable trading chip than Hart at this point.

One more option would be trading Fielder (who would bring back the best return), move Gamel to 1B, and hand the 3B job to McGehee.

Thoughts?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers are going to need to find room for Gamel, Escobar, Hardy, Weeks and Mcgehee. I try to trade Hardy, I would platoon Gamel and McGehee with McGehee also spelling Weeks at 2b when he needs a day off. Sign an older veteran to back up SS and pinch hit.

By himself he won't get a major piece back but packaged with a JJ Hardy or Corey Hart and we might be able to get a #2 or a #3.

Or even if he couldn't be part of a deal that would get us major league ready starting pitching, hopefully at least one or more decent SP prospects. This organization desperately needs starters from top to bottom...

McGehee is too valuable as depth. What Ry said is perfect, and hopefully, Counsell will be the other backup.

Let's not forget that Hall will unfortunately be on the bench next season. I would like to see Counsell back as well to spell Escobar on a regular basis. Not to mention that the Brewers have Heether in the minors, who by some accounts is a similar player to McGehee with more versatility.

If Gamel and Weeks are my long term solutions at 2nd and 3rd, I'd sell while McGehee's value is high. I'm skeptical that he'll continue to perform as well as he has, and it's quite possible that some team is going to overvalue him.

This is the exact problem/reason we are where we are with pitching... anytime a player performs no one wants to move him. The only reason people have warmed to moving Hardy is his struggles at the plate this season. To acquire something of value you have to give something of value. If a team would give us a quality pitcher for McGehee... why wouldn't we make a deal?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If a team would give us a quality pitcher for McGehee... why wouldn't we make a deal?

Because he's going to be valuable off the bench!

I think if Melvin could get a quality pitcher for McGehee he would (I hope) do it in a heartbeat. Gamel, Escobar, Weeks, Fielder is probably going to be the starting infield. Hall will be back, Counsell may be back and Heether could take a bench role.

He probably needs to prove himself a bit more before becoming valuable. His defense has been weak at third in the majors, but from what I've heard he was solid in the minors...

Given Mcgehee's age, do the Brewers still have five years of control?

Other than Braun, they should pretty much trade whichever one to maybe three position players will get them the best pitching that they can get. This means that the decision on who to trade will be partly up to the team that is willing to trade away some pitching. If it takes Fielder to get a legitimate #1 starter, then they should probably take the chance that the pitching gain will outweigh the loss of offense.

They can't expect to accomplish an improvement in pitching by packaging up a bunch of guys who have been mediocre or poor performers.

The solution seems pretty simple. The Brewers should trade Hart and Hardy for pitching. Then they can put Gamel in Right Field and McGehee at 3rd.

That's exactly what I was going to say. The only option I could see if trading Hardy and Weeks, playing Gamel at third, McGehee at second, and Escobar at short.

This is a good topic to discuss, DJ43. I think if Melvin can find an organization high on McGehee from this season, see what he could net -- or add him on to someone like Hardy or Hart. I agree those kinds of pairings would probably be enough to return a #2 type SP.

His defense has been weak at third in the majors

I feel quite the opposite, but that's just from watching the games. I haven't looked into the data on him at all.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I feel quite the opposite, but that's just from watching the games. I haven't looked into the data on him at all.

Of third baseman who have played 150 innings, he has the worst UZR/150 at -48.3.

The solution seems pretty simple. The Brewers should trade Hart and Hardy for pitching. Then they can put Gamel in Right Field and McGehee at 3rd.

I'd rather keep Gamel at 3rd since I don't think there is much of a difference defensively between the two.

I would think some of McGehee's UZR has been brought down because of playing nicked up. His UZR/150 at 2B is 4.8 over 179.2 innings and -48.3 over 150 innings at 3B.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I would think some of McGehee's UZR has been brought down because of playing nicked up. His UZR/150 at 2B is 4.8 over 179.2 innings and -48.3 over 150 innings at 3B.

But he's been switching between 2nd and 3rd base all year. It's not like he played 2nd before he got hurt and then switched to 3rd after he got hurt.

I would platoon Gamel and McGehee

I guess I don't get why Gamel should be platooned...he has hit lefties better than righties...there's no need to platoon him if his defense is capable IMO. I do agree though it would be interesting to follow. I really like Mat and think he will be successful in the majors, but Casey looks solid now and Weeks is coming back. I don't think it's a bad problem to have, but I do think the right choice needs to be made. I wonder how much value Weeks would have on the market now?

I also think if Casey can play the OF he'd be perfect to keep on the team. If you rest Mat, Rickie, and OF a few days a week...Casey will get somewhat regular at bats. Let's also remember injuries will also happen.

I also think if Casey can play the OF he'd be perfect to keep on the team. If you rest Mat, Rickie, and OF a few days a week...Casey will get somewhat regular at bats. Let's also remember injuries will also happen.

This is interesting too. The problem I see with McGehee is that I don't think he's as good as he's been this year. He has a .353 BABIP, I doubt he can sustain that. He would probably be the first one I'd trade since I don't think Weeks would have much value due to the injury and lack of track record (although McGehee doesn't have much of a track record either), I'm not sure McGehee could play the outfield and if he did, could he play RF, would you have to move Braun to RF and play McGehee in LF?

I just feel that McGehee is replaceable with Heether and he probably should be dealt if we get a good offer.

But he's been switching between 2nd and 3rd base all year. It's not like he played 2nd before he got hurt and then switched to 3rd after he got hurt.

I know, but I believe he was known as a solid defender in the minors. The only thing I can find about him is Totalzone and that seems to indicate he is about average. Link Gamel meanwhile has a reputation as a poor defender but seems to have made strides according to Totalzone. Link

In my opinion, Gamel is the better player on offense and I thought he looked as good on defense as McGehee. I thought Gamel looked like he had better range. I wouldn't make any kind of decision based on just the defensive stats from this year though.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The more I think about it, I'd like to keep him another year. Weeks gets injured often and we don't even know how he'll come back from this most recent one. In 5 MLB seasons Rickie's high for games played is 129, and he's only topped 100 twice. Keep McGehee as insurance at 2B and he can also start the season at 3B if we still don't want to play Gamel for whatever reason. Also try and teach him OF in the offseason and he'd be pretty valuable even if he's only a bench player. Then depending on how well he learns OF and if his bat doesn't drop off significantly we could trade off Hart and play McGehee in the OF if Rickie and Gamel are fine.

I wouldn't be opposed to selling high either though. If we could get a decent starter for him or package him with Hardy for a better pitcher I'd be good with that too. I don't really know what his value is though. If he'd only get a #5, then forget it.

The tendinitis in the knee is something to watch. We're talking about a rookie who has trouble staying on the field. GM's will be wondering if this is going to be a recurrent situation, whether or not that is fair.

I'll be shocked if Hardy isn't traded and I can see Hart going as well...

If Casey wins the Rookie of the year perhaps? or he hits over .300 even he could become a very valuable trade chip. But if he has that type of success i would think the brewers would want him to stick around. Bill hall has got to go somehow, Hardy is being pushed too hard by escobar, counsell will find a better situation where he can be a starter, and no way lopez stays on. Rickie Weeks would possibly have high trade value so if McGehee puts up really good numbers the rest of the way you gotta think the brewers might shop Weeks and leave casey at second. The infield is in for a shakeup and someone is getting dealt for pitching but lets see how casey does the rest of the way before we pinpoint his value.

Archived