Brewer Fanatic

Why don't we consider bringing Jenkins back?

Excuse my ignorance, but why don't we get Geoff Jenkins back? He'd be a great bat off the bench, and would give Hart some days off now and then. When he played in Philly, he still had a decent year coming off the bench, so why don't we give it a shot? I realize his contract used to be a huge problem, but the guy has been unemployed the entire season, and I'm sure he'd love to come back to Milwaukee.

I guess I just miss the guy, that's all.

No, he would not be good off the bench. Streaky power hitters with lousy plate discipline need to play regularly in order to establish their timing and get into a groove. Even the Phillies didn't think he would be good off the bench and they released him despite owing him millions. He is also getting older and has not played since this spring.

He's done.

Jenkins is a team player and he hustled and played hurt and was a good team leader. I'm very happy for him that he got his ring. I agree with AJAY though, he's (probably) done. Maybe he could be a platoon guy, but at this point in the season it would take him too long to get into playing shape.

I always thought Jenkins was far from a team player. At the same time, if he's been working out, I'd consider signing him to a minor league deal with the chance to earn a September callup. Hart could be dealt for pitching in the offseason and a Jenkins/Katin platoon could probably match Hart's numbers. Of course, I'd rather have more Catalanotto type players in the lineup. I think the team is way too heavy with SLG guys and needs to focus more on the OBP/AVG aspects of OPS. That's why I'd definitely consider moving guys like Hart and Hardy.

I don't get why we'd do something symbolic for Jenkins. He was a mediocre player that had a lasting reputation in Milwaukee because he played on awful teams and was a rare successful farmhand. But Jenkins could barely hit 4 years ago and couldn't play defense.

I actually e-mailed Tom Haudricourt about Jenkins a couple weeks ago. I was just curious if he had any insight on why no team had picked him up yet this year. His response was pretty blunt...basically saying it was obvious to other teams that the Phillies wouldn't have released him if they thought he had any real value left as a player.

Sadly, I think Jenkins is probably in forced retirement at this point. Maybe he'll luck out and get invited to spring training for some team next year, and come on with another team if he plays well enough. I wouldn't be against the idea of the Brewers giving him a chance to retire as a Brewer...he did stick it out with some pretty crummy Brewers teams when he probably could have left for greener pastures elsewhere. Maybe if nothing else he could eventually be a coach or something in the Brewers system.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived