Brewer Fanatic

any thought on this Trade that didn't happen

Does anyone think Boston was dumb for NOT trading Felix for the fivesome of Bucholtz, Masterson, Bowden, Bard, and DeClarmen? I know I for one would give up Yo for those five. I am wondering if people would give up Felix for those five, as it was reported all five were offered for Felix...

I'm confused by your post. Are you saying Seattle asked for those five players, or Boston actually offered them in exchange for Felix Hernandez?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's too bad the Ray's picked up Betancourt to play SS. A Hardy for Bannister swap probably made a lot of sense for both teams.
I think you mean Royals since neither Betancourt or Bannister are on the Rays.

.... Players that I see the Rays targeting from the Brewers include: Hardy, Escobar, Lawrie, Gamel, Salome, and Lucroy. Gamel would probably be moved to 1B with Longoria entrenched at 3B with the Rays. Lorenzo Cain could also be a long shot but I'm not sure the Brewers would want to part with him being their only close legit OF prospect. This kind of trade makes to much sense for the Brewers and the Rays to actually happen.
The idea of Crawford and Kazmir, no matter the degree of Kazmir's purported slippage up to this point, makes some good sense to me. There's a flaw in your logic, nate82, or perhaps just an oversight: perennial slugger Carlos Pena is an All-Star 1B for the Rays right now, so moving Gamel to 1B isn't a likely move if this were to all go down.

Thinking more about the various options discussed, I do believe the Brewers are reaching a point where they'll have to choose who to keep for the long haul and who to flip to fill needs.

- Hart + something to TB for pitching makes some sense. It makes even more sense if expanding the package can help land Crawford, too.

- Not sure what the Mariners' needs will amount to, but IF Jack Z. likes Weeks THAT much AND Lopez wants to remain a Brewer, Weeks + might help land more needed pitching (Morrow?).

- Hardy to Boston for pitching + something makes sense.

OF: Braun, Cameron, Crawford (I know, I'm dreaming)

IF: Fielder, Lopez, Escobar, McGehee (with a Brinks truck waiting in Prince's driveway for him to sign an extension -- hopefully)

C: Kendall (I know, I know, but the guy's veteran glue along w/ Cameron)

bench: Counsell, Hall or Iribarren, Catalanotto, backup C (hopefully Salome), + a Gerut or someone else super cheap

MNBrew, mentioning Tampa has me thinking of a lineup that could feature Crawford in RF and Fernando Perez in CF. We would likely have one of the top 2 or 3 MLB centerfielders defensively and have outstanding range in the corners. We'd lose some SLG in CF and RF, but we'd likely improve in OBP in RF.

The IF would have Weeks, Hardy/Hall, McGehee, and Fielder, providing solid SLG/OBP skills at all IF spots. I know it doesn't make a ton of sense, but Crawford would make the team more left-handed (a stated Melvin goal) and faster, while Perez would be one of the few capable of improving on Cameron in CF defensively while also saving plenty of money

The idea of Crawford and Kazmir, no matter the degree of Kazmir's purported slippage up to this point, makes some good sense to me. There's a flaw in your logic, nate82, or perhaps just an oversight: perennial slugger Carlos Pena is an All-Star 1B for the Rays right now, so moving Gamel to 1B isn't a likely move if this were to all go down.
No I thought about that and Carlos Pena is getting up there in age. Pena is 31 years old and he will be looking for his last chance at a big payday which the Rays will not be able to give him and nor should they. In 2010 Pena starts to get somewhat expensive for the Rays at $10.125m which will be his age 32 season so you can expect Pena to start to decline. This is probably when the Rays let go of Pena after 2010 which will open up 1B for someone like a Gamel. Gamel is probably a lot like Pena is in production at the plate his defense at 1B is an unknown though right now. 2010 is Pena's last year with the Rays and he will be a free agent in 2011 it doesn't make much sense for the Rays to keep Pena beyond 2010 with him being a Scott Boras client don't expect a hometown discount either.

MNBrew, mentioning Tampa has me thinking of a lineup that could feature Crawford in RF and Fernando Perez in CF. We would likely have one of the top 2 or 3 MLB centerfielders defensively and have outstanding range in the corners. We'd lose some SLG in CF and RF, but we'd likely improve in OBP in RF.

The IF would have Weeks, Hardy/Hall, McGehee, and Fielder, providing solid SLG/OBP skills at all IF spots. I know it doesn't make a ton of sense, but Crawford would make the team more left-handed (a stated Melvin goal) and faster, while Perez would be one of the few capable of improving on Cameron in CF defensively while also saving plenty of money

DHonks, I like your logic for Perez in addition to Crawford (I like Cameron most of the time incl. for his veteran leadership, but $10M is just a lot of dough!), but I'm not a Perez believer.

Maybe I've missed something along the way, but what combination of players do you see heading to TB to net us both Perez & Crawford? I could see Hart in that deal. But TB has Longoria at 3B and Bartlett at SS and Pena at 1B. They don't have a position for Escobar or Gamel at this point.

I do like the IF situation you describe but would see the either-or at SS as being between Hardy & Escobar, not Hardy & Hall. And I'd still want to see Gamel in that picture, too. The two best hitting prospects of the past 3 years not already playing daily in the bigs (thus excluding Braun & Fielder) are Gamel & LaPorta. LaPorta's gone and the present roster has nothing to show for that. On top of that, I really don't think you can trade off yet another stud corner IF (OF?) with 3B being only newly owned by McGehee & Fielder being a Boras client w/ only 2 yrs. left before he can become a free agent.

Archived