Brewer Fanatic

why not start Dillard?

BREWCREW5

Im sure someone will be able to fill me in on this matter...

Why isnt Dillard starting? He was 10-4 with a 3.66 in AAA. He's stretched out and deserves a shot. We dont have anyone to pitch and he has been the best starter in AAA this year. What gives?

Dillard isn't starting because of what Macha forsees as his secondary pitches not translating to the major leagues as a starter.

I think Dillard deserves a shot before Burns gets another, but I don't think Macha is inclined to make that happen anytime soon.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Dillard is a different pitcher than he was last year, and it's embarrassing. He's striking out no one in AAA, and has nothing to get major leaguers out.

He'll be in indy ball next year if he doesn't get it worked out. Bosio has to realize this, I can't believe his lack of velocity and stuff compared to 365 days ago. You can get Brad Nelson out that way, but not Prince.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dillard's peripherals in AAA don't support his ERA. His strikeout rate in AAA was alarmingly low, his walk rate was mediocre at best, and he wasn't an extreme groundball pitcher. I still believe that Gallardo, Parra, Looper, Vargas, Burns and Cody, and maybe even Villanueva are better options than Dillard at this point. Who knows though, with the way things have been going, Dillard could move up in this miserable depth chart.

He's just not very good as a starter. For awhile, I thought he might be able to be a poor man's Dave Bush, but since being moved back to the AAA rotation, he can't strike anybody out, and he's lost some control. He was alright as a short reliever last year, and that's probably where his major league future lies, if he has one.

Personally, I thought Josh Butler had the best shot of any pitching prospect of joining the rotation this year, but he's on the DL now.

Al, what do you mean lack of velocity? Dillard was hitting 91-93 mph consistently with 2-seamers. Last night he was hurt in part because a guy beat one into the ground off the plate. It seemed to me that his problem was that he couldn't get ahead of hitters. To question his secondary pitches is fine. But to question his velocity?

Archived