Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy to White Sox...again

splitterpfj

Well, this was unexpected.

Again though, it appears our dearth of tradeable young pitching hurt any chance we had to get in here. But that's the rub of course.

You gotta love the White Sox answering Washburn-to-Tigers with Peavy, regardless of the DL time.

Yep, was on the phone for 45 seconds with my acquaintance. This was a last second deal for sure. Wasn't even talked about again till late last night.

Very discouraging for our team though. I would have liked to us choose one or the other-seller or buyer.

Bobskube,

No that this trade has been made I was wondering if you would mind enlightening us on something. When that trade talked occured earlier in June (or maybe it was late May) you had reported that the Brewers were planning on moving on one of two pitchers. The timing of Peavy's injury made me think that it might have been the Brewer's physical that showed how bad Peavey's injury was and I think he was most likely pitcher A. Who was pitcher B that they would turn their attention to at that time. I remember you saying it was no one mentioned in the thread. Can you share that with us know that it is obvious we are not picking anyone up. Unless it was Claudio Vargas:)

Just confirmed with source that this was "big" deal Doug was talking about. The Brewers were in this thing twice. He prob would have been a Brewer if not for the ankle injury. The White Sox package was pitching heavy and was more attractive than what the Brewers offered. Bidding went down to last second. I do not know what Brewers offered.

I'm upset about this now but two years down the line this is probably a good thing.

Bobskube,

No that this trade has been made I was wondering if you would mind enlightening us on something. When that trade talked occured earlier in June (or maybe it was late May) you had reported that the Brewers were planning on moving on one of two pitchers. The timing of Peavy's injury made me think that it might have been the Brewer's physical that showed how bad Peavey's injury was and I think he was most likely pitcher A. Who was pitcher B that they would turn their attention to at that time. I remember you saying it was no one mentioned in the thread. Can you share that with us know that it is obvious we are not picking anyone up. Unless it was Claudio Vargas:)

My info is a little scattered in terms of players involved. I did not hear a thing this time around because personally I didn't want to bother this guy because the Brewers and Peavy had been the only things we ever talked about in June. He probably was getting annoyed so I pulled back figuring Peavy would not be dealt although I touched base with him about two or three weeks ago and he said things were slow. I need to buy him some beers here in Chicago to make up for my badgering.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I heard about Parra the first time around as well as the usual different combination of prospects. I heard Parra and Bill Hall (to offset money) were in possible deal, but I have no confirmation of this because he really had no idea. Again, agents are not always in the know about this stuff. (And, no, I do not talk to Barry Axelrod, only David-haha) The reason we know the Brewers were involved was that Peavy had to be contacted and Brewers didn't want to be embarrassed like the White Sox and went for his approval in advance of potential trade. He approved it and was to be traded to if they could agree to deal. His ankle injury made the deal moot. Hope this makes sense.

We had a shot at getting Peavy AND getting rid of Bill Hall in one deal? How the heck did we let that pass?!?!?!?
What are you talking about? Hall hasn't even been mentioned in any serious rumors or any rumors for that matter. The Brewers were in on Peavy but were out when he got injured. Trading for an injured player is not a smart idea.

We had a shot at getting Peavy AND getting rid of Bill Hall in one deal? How the heck did we let that pass?!?!?!?
What are you talking about? Hall hasn't even been mentioned in any serious rumors or any rumors for that matter. The Brewers were in on Peavy but were out when he got injured. Trading for an injured player is not a smart idea.
Ok, let's get this straight. That was a rumor (Hall) my source told me. Like I said...agents don't know who their player is being traded for all the time. I heard a few different combinations, but all of them had Parra in them. I really doubt they could have dumped Hall myself, but the Brewers might have had that as a prerequisite. Who knows? That is just what I was told. I was also told Hall, Parra, Escobar, and Gamel. I knew that was garbage (I hoped) so I didn't even mention it. That would have definitely raised everyone's ire.

Archived