Brewer Fanatic

Hall + Suppan for Zito + Salary Relief

Before i start, i fully admit that Zito might have one of the worst pitching contracts in MLB history. However, given

the fact that Suppan and Hall bring virtually nothing to our 2010 team while ravaging the Brewers for a combined $21 million

makes this not seem entirely absurd.

Zito is owed $76 million over the next 4 seasons + 7 million buyout for 2014 (essentially $83m for the next 4 years)

If the Giants were willing to eat Suppan and Hall's salary and give us $5m for 2011, 2012, and 2013, as well as pay the $7 million buy out in 2014, would you do it?

$83 million - $21 million saved (2010) - $22 million (2011-2014 salary) relief = $40 million for 4 seasons of Zito. My gut reaction is that i like the fact that we don't have any bad contracts past 2010, and this could be a bad contract even at the reduced rate. However, given what the Brewers have penciled in for their rotation the next couple seasons, if Zito rebounds at all he's probably our #2 or #3 pitcher.

Thoughts?

No. This provides no salary relief for the Brewers, in fact it makes things worse, and doesn't do much to improve the pitching. Would just end up in the same position they are in with Hall and Suppan for the next several years -- paying way to much money for a guy(s) who can't play, severely limiting your ability to make other moves.

$83 million - $21 million saved (2010) - $22 million (2011-2014 salary) relief = $40 million for 4 seasons of Zito.

I think that says it all. We'd be paying $40 million MORE than we are with Suppan and Hall. The point would be to lower the cost, not double it.

If you would do this deal you better be pretty certain your pitching coach can figure Zito out and turn him back into one of the better starters in baseball considering all the money you'll be paying him. Right now I don't think any pitching coach can turn him around. Zito's a very smart and determined guy himself so if he hasn't figured out what's wrong yet I don't think he ever will.

Archived