Brewer Fanatic

Brad Penny available?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dodgers have a tremendous amount of pitching in their system. Just take a look at their Jacksonville (AA) pitching stats from last season. I doubt that Jackson excites them all that much. But a Jenkins/Lieber combo might do the trick.

Or the Brewers could set sights lower forget Lieber and inquire about Tomko. He can start or pitch out of the pen, a perfect complement/backup plan to Villanueva or Vargas. And he's only due $4.1 million in 07 with club option of $4.5 in 08. Plus he's 3 years younger than Lieber.

From ESPN update section,

"The Astros remain interested in Aubrey Huff. But he appears to be a player who could be indirectly affected by Andy Pettitte. If Pettitte signs for large dollars, the Astros would have to move a salary to sign someone like Huff. The Dodgers are also believed to have interest in Huff as an outfielder if they don't sign Luis Gonzalez."

Can I officially get my hopes up?

kinda makes sense, if everyone else in the division is adding bats, may as well go the other way and build a great rotation.

I can't figure who we'd have to give up for a good pitcher, though? It doesn't seem like Villy/Jenkins/TBow would really be close to enough.

The Dodgers are already shopping Brad Penny, according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick.

Penny has been mentioned as a possibility for the Red Sox in a Manny Ramirez deal, but nothing it likely to happen there. Some of the teams that could seek Penny include the Mets, Blue Jays, Cubs, Yankees, Phillies, Rangers, Mariners, Cardinals, A's, Astros, Reds and Brewers. The Dodgers could use him to bring in a corner outfielder or maybe exchange him for bullpen help.

Source: ESPN.com

This is the full rotoworld report. It seems we have some corner outfielders to spare. So it is atleast a possibilty

From that list assuming they want a corner outfielder and bullpen help, the brewers and reds would be the best bets. I think Villy, jenkins, and turnbow/cappellan/aquino would be enough, unless the reds are smart and trump us with adam dunn and a bullpen arm, maybe get the dodgers to throw in ethier as well.

-Don

dodger fan here.

Ill give my two cents.

Penny is available in a trade but the dodgers dont have to move him. hes 28yrs old, in his prime, signed for 2 more years at a very affordable price and 3rd yr team option, again for a very affordable price. The dodgers are looking for a left handed bat that could hit 25homeruns and it seems the brewers have a fit in Jenkins.

that said, Jenkins alone is not worth Penny. In order for the Dodgers to move Penny, they would probably need a package of multiple players including a starting outfielder and a couple of pitching prospects.

probably something like this:

Brad Penny for Geoff Jenkins + Yovani Gallardo

Quote:
Jenkins and Zach Jackson should get it done.

you have to look at it from a dodgers perspective as well. their rotation is full. right now its..

schmidt

lowe

penny

wolf

billingsley

kuo

hendrickson

tomko

Zach Jackson would probably not interest them since his services would be redundant this year. If anything, prospects, who could help the big club in a year or two plus jenkins is what they would be looking at.

That's why they should be willing to get rid of their excess depth in order to get two things, an OF (Jenkins) and a mid level prospect (Jackson). I don't understand why Jackson wouldn't be a desired player (because of pitching depth reasons), not all of the Dodger pitchers are signed long term, and Jackson could fill in for one of them in one of the next seasons.

Jackson, sounds like the perfect prospect, a guy who could help them in a year or two, or am I mistaken?

Being a brewer fan first and a Dodger fan second (they used to be my NL team until the Brewers switched leagues) I would presume we need to give up more for Penny but Yo is too much. I would maybe think Hendrickson might get it done due to his domination in AAA (even though his effectiveness is not there yet in the majors) That being said I love to have Penny on this roster as a 4 or 5 so maybe I would include a possability of a reliever in Turnbow in stead because relief pitching is what the Dodgers truely need if they want to win their division.

thanks first post probably not the last..

Penny for Gallardo is a joke. We may be undervaluing Penny by suggesting Jenkins and a mid level prospect but the Dodger fan is on crack if the thinks Penny, his attitude and his bum shoulder are worth Yovanno Gallardo. I could see Jenkins and Mark Rogers, if Mark Rogers hadnt recently gone the way of Nick Nuegebaur.

All this talk is should just about over. L-Gonzo signing means they do not need a Corner OF guy.

I read that they maybe putting Penny with a prospect to get Vernon Wells. Don't know how much sense it makes as the just signed Pierre to play CF.

Archived