Brewer Fanatic

Brad Penny available?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
If we could trade them Jenkins and someone like a Zach Jackson for Brad Penny I'd dirty my underpants.

I'd like it too RyDogg but I think I could handle it a little better than you.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Take this with a grain of salt, but baseball-reference's most similar player to Brad Penny through age 28 is....

Ben McDonald http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eek.gif

I still want him though... Sheets, Penny, Capuano, Bush, Anyone makes me drool

Penny would be my choice! I would give a pretty good haul to get him and would love to have our top three pitchers as Sheets, Penny and Cappy. And yes you can put those in any order you want. Don't want to start another thread arguing about the rotation with penny in it. Likely hood of it going down, under 5%!

McDonald was a good pitcher until his arm blew out

Endaround, it's amazing how many people forget this. They talk about him as a free agent bust and whatnot. But he had a very good stint in Milwaukee till his arm blew out. I tend to consider him one of our best forays into free agency. We knew there was risk, as he had a partially torn rotator cuff when we signed him.

I'm all for it, but didn't realize Penny was even remotely available to anybody. If he is, I'm sure the Dodgers will want a boatload in return, which I don't believe the Brewers have or could afford

Speculation is he is being shopped because of his run ins with management last year. Took get him in Brew town it would take a pretty penny and I'm not sure that the Brewers will pay it.

Quote:
McDonald was a good pitcher until his arm blew out

Endaround, it's amazing how many people forget this. They talk about him as a free agent bust and whatnot. But he had a very good stint in Milwaukee till his arm blew out. I tend to consider him one of our best forays into free agency. We knew there was risk, as he had a partially torn rotator cuff when we signed him.

Exactly. That's why it creeped me out to see him listed as the most similar player to Penny... Acquiring Penny would be a great move, but I really don't want to look back on him as Ben McDonald Part II.

Bad mojo.

The Dodgers would be wise to dump Penny and I, for one, hope the Brewers stay away. He doesn't show a whole lot of determination on his days to go out there...last year he averaged 5 2/3 innings per start (6 the year before). July through September he only reached seven or more innings in a start a total of three times (7, 8, and 7).

He's got good stuff, but I don't trust our bullpen enough to throw a starter out there who is pretty much guaranteed to log his five or six innings and step down once he's got a lead.

Penny for which Brewers? Jenkins, and Mench... and someone else?

Most likely. Who then? ZachJack? Capellan? CV? I'd be willing to bet the two OF, plus one pitcher mentioned, would be a starting point

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

GO DOUG GO!

I would love to see the Brewers add Penny, and it seems like Jenkins+Turnbow+Jackson would get it done. Jackson was OK when brought up this season, but I highly doubt he will be as good as Penny, and certainly not next year. I would definitely prefer Penny to Jon Lieber, that's for sure, and I feel like we have the pieces to get it done. So I repeat, GO DOUGIE GO!

From the Arizona Republic:

"Although the Dodgers likely won't offer as much as the Orioles, Luis Gonzalez is leaning toward staying in the NL West and signing with Los Angeles."

This would definetly hurt our chances with a trade with the Dodgers, if they acquire Gonzalez they would have no need for Jenkins, nor Mench

Brad Penny-S-Dodgers Dec. 6 - 1:34 pm et

With Jason Schmidt reportedly choosing the Dodgers, it's more likely that Brad Penny will be dealt this winter.

As things stand now, the Dodgers have a rotation of Schmidt, Penny, Derek Lowe, Randy Wolf and Chad Billingsley. Penny's departure would put Mark Hendrickson, Hong-Chih Kuo and Brett Tomko back into the mix. Penny is owed $18 million over the next two years or $24.75 million for the next three years, making him something of a bargain in this market

Archived