Brewer Fanatic

Brad Penny available?

According to Rotoworld, the Dodgers are looking to sign Randy Wolf which would make Brad Penny available.

Quote:
According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Dodgers have emerged as the favorites to sign Randy Wolf. Wolf is apparently willing to take a lesser deal to head home to Southern California. The move would give the Dodgers a rotation of Derek Lowe, Brad Penny, Wolf, Chad Billingsley and either Mark Hendrickson, Hong-Chih Kuo or Brett Tomko. However, the Dodgers still might either re-sign Greg Maddux or bring in Jason Schmidt. They could then possibly trade Penny for the outfielder they desire.

Would they be interested in Jenkins? I assume we would have to kick in more to get the deal done. As long as it does not include one of our top 3 prospects, it would be tempting. Penny would be a nice replacement for DD.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like Penny. He has a limited no trade clause though. Money shouldn't be a problem ($7.5M in 2007, $8.5M in 2008 and a clup option worth $8.75M in 2009.)

If we could get him here for Jenkins+something else I'd do it.

I would imagine the Dodgers would have some interest in Jenkins, although I agree that it'd take more than him to net Penny. Losing Drew leaves the Dodgers with no experienced RF. Jenks went to USC, don't know if that factors in much.

I think I like the idea; I don't know Penny's injury history, but it seems he has a seasoned arm without overwork.

That limited no-trade clause probably means Penny was/is able to make a list of a few teams (8-10?) to which he cannot be traded. He can always waive that clause, though.

I wouldn't want to throw in much more than Jenkins, and I'd bet that, for Penny, the Dodgers would get better offers. I'll leave it up to everyone else to toss some additional names around. I will say this -- adding Ramon E. Martinez (IF utilityman, career .270 BA, doesn't K much, doesn't draw many BBs a la Estrada) as our extra piece would function very nicely

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Getting Penny for Jenkins and a part would be huge. Would definitely fill the trade of Davis even if Doug returned to form. Jenkins only having 1 year left on his contract maybe attractive to LA with next year supposedly beign a better FA class they might be looking for a nice short term solution, instead of fighting for table scraps.

Yes please. If they're willing to trade Penny, he jumps to #1 on my Christmas wish list.

I'd imagine we're have to offer something of value with Jenkins as well.... an arm like Jackson perhaps?

I'd still be all over that, and pick up as much of Jenkins' salary as necessary.

Me too. Dodgers probably want a relief pitcher too, I'd try to trade Jenkins and either Wise or Turnbow for Brad Penny (if he's available).

Brewers will have to pony up to get Penny. He has electric stuff and was for a good portion of last season talked about being a CY Young candidate.

Dodgers have a lot young OFers that they are talking about putting in the corners this year. I don't see them taking T-Bow as they have the Oriental closer, Braxton, and some young power arms.

Penny and dodgers management haven't been the best of friends so he probably is available. That said, Jenkins won't do it. Now Jenkins, Vargas, and Jackson maybe a starting point.

End you are right they are not on good terms. But I cannot see Ned Colleti just throwing away one of his best pitchers, because of a guy hates to lose. Penny has an issue with losing and being pulled from games. He wants to pitch a complete game all the time.

I don't see the interest in Jenks for the Dodgers. They have Pierre in CF plus Either, Kemp and other guys to play the corners. This doesn't even account for Nomar as he still could end up out there.

Funny thing about the Dodgers not being interested. There's a Dodger fan on the ESPN board that says the Dodgers need a left handed outfielder to hit between Garciaparra and Kent.

I brougt up the Ken Rosenthal blurb and how the Brewers should give Jenkins+something else to get Penny.

I'm still waiting for a response.

Jenkins is not remotely overpaid after this spendy offseason. While he isn't worth as much as Brad Penny (especially since Penny is making #5 SP money), Geoff now has value despite his salary, while a month ago, he only had value if we picked up $2-3M of his paycheck.

If we could add Penny for a combination of Jenks + Jackson (plus a low level prospect) or Jenks + Vargas (plus a low level prospect) I would be insanely happy.

Jenkins (while not a top slugging left hander) is far better than Kemp.

This deal makes too much sense. Not to mention, neither team would be adding significant payroll, which is nice as well.

Get it done Doug!

Rotation: (would be the best in the division)

Sheets

Capuano

Penny

Bush

Villanueva

How about Jenks and Miller?

The Dodgers have stated that they want Piazza back and he'd start 100-110 games. Damian would serve as backup to him.

I loved watching Penny throw about 25 straight fastballs at the all star game last year. That was very impressive.

I'd love to add Ethier. He and LaRoche were the Fall Leaguers I enjoyed being around. He's great as a teammate and with the media. Ethier does nothing great, but everything at least adequately. I'd peg him as a .275 15-20 hr guy, who draws lots of walks.

So I'd happily do Jenkins and either a prospect or a reliever like Turnbow or Wise, for Penny and Ethier

They have Martin and Hall, they should be fine at Catcher.

Hall wants out as he feels he is a starter.

Kemp is the long term answer for the Dodgers, he is playing winter ball to make up for this year when he was called up and down by the team. He and the team hope winter ball will help his development as they feel it was a wash this year in that area.

Jenks sounds real nice and a prospect, but Penny has more value than Jenks.

According to Rosenthal, the Dodgers have expressed interest in Jenkins. Link

Quote:
Speaking of Jenkins ... the Brewers have touched base with the Dodgers, Giants, Padres and Orioles regarding the outfielder.

Jenkins could be a fallback for the Dodgers or Orioles, both of which are trying to sign Gonzalez.

If the Dodgers fail to get Gonzalez, they have depth in SP for the Brewers to trade with.

I'd love to see Penny here. He had 189 IP last year, I'm sure a few rough starts is what caused him from getting to 200.

However, should we focus on trying to get a lefty? Granted a guy like Penny would take the place of Vargas and be a 2 or 3 guy in the rotation, but right now, we have 2 lefties in the entire staff. Cappy and Shouse. Zach Jack is coming up maybe he'll be here by the end of May, who knows? But should we try to fill the void we lost with Davis by finding a solid starting lefty?

I'm not saying we get Zito or anything ridiculous, but some guy to put near the back of the rotation with a 4 ERA , and a descene WHIP. Would that be more important than another righty starter?

I'm pretty sure with our OF cluster going on, we'll get another lefty or two in the pen, but how important is it to have 2 lefties in the rotation?

Archived