Brewer Fanatic

He's Baaaack! Vargas to MIL for Vinny Rottino

Come on, lets all admit it.... we really did miss his 5 hour starts because he takes 3 minutes inbetween every pitch. Wait nope, nevermind, I forgot that was a nightmare to watch and even worse to at the games for.

Well ummmm I'm kind of speechless, I heard that Burns is coming back up this morning instead of any other pitcher the our minor leagues who could do just as bad as him and then are huge deadline trade was for Vargas.... I thought when I hopped in my car this morning to go to the gas station and the first first song I heard was Black Eye Peas, I got a feeling (tonight is going to be a good good night) it was a sign for good things to come http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turns out that awful song was in fact an omen.
"I think I'm just gonna chillax this weekend with some Bud Light Limes, listen to some Black Eyed Peas and 3OH!3, and watch Mike Burns and Claudio Vargas start for my favorite baseball team."

Is this some sort lame joke? (sigh)

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Can anyone be pleased on this website? You got to give up talent to get talent...especially this year. I think this move is brilliant and worth a shot. Congrats Doug....you have atleast one supporter. Those of you ripping on this deal...I just don't get it. Obviously Melvin knows this is not BIG answer to solve our problems but how does this move hurt us? We needed a quality pitcher to get us innings and that is exactly what we got. And we gave up absolutely nothing to obtain it.

Step 1 -- Locate Junk

Step 2 -- Insert Foot

Step 3 -- Lather Rinse Repeat.

I understand that Vargas is a stopgap, and Rottino really has no tangible value.

The best way I can describe the feeling I have, is once I was driving through Utah, and I could not get get a good radio signal. I finally got a scratchy signal and once the station tuned in, the first song that they played was "Mr. Roboto."

Claudio Vargas is like "Mr. Roboto" or perhaps like "driving through Utah", I will leave it to the scientists to figure it out.

Can anyone be pleased on this website? You got to give up talent to get talent...especially this year. I think this move is brilliant and worth a shot. Congrats Doug....you have atleast one supporter. Those of you ripping on this deal...I just don't get it. Obviously Melvin knows this is not BIG answer to solve our problems but how does this move hurt us? We needed a quality pitcher to get us innings and that is exactly what we got. And we gave up absolutely nothing to obtain it.
Agreed. I'm not sure what the Dodgers minor league system currently looks like at catcher, but it also might help Vinny find his way onto a big league roster once again. Between Lucroy, Salome, Rivera, and Kendall being in the Brewers system, I don't think he had much of a shot here.

Obviously Melvin knows this is not BIG answer to solve our problems but how does this move hurt us?

I don't think anyone is necessarily suggesting that this move hurts. Does it help? Debatable. My disappointment is simply that its a waste. It does not imrpove the team, and they are in no way good enough to go to the playoffs, so instead of going out and getting Claudio Vargas, go out and get something in return for Mike Cameron, Craig Counsell, etc. If you can't improve the team this year, you should be trying to improve it next year and beyond. Perhaps they tried to do that, but I kinda doubt it.

You got to give up talent to get talent...especially this year.

What does talent have to do with Claudio Vargas?

but how does this move hurt us?

Sort of like those earwigs that crawl into your ear and lay eggs in your brain.

We needed a quality pitcher to get us innings and that is exactly what we got.

I take issue with the use of "quality" and "exactly" in this phrase.

And we gave up absolutely nothing to obtain it.

Vinny Rottino is something, Maxim St. Pierre is absolutely nothing.

I understand what you are saying naivin but how does this deal change any of that? You can still make other moves if it makes sense to Doug and his staff. In my opinion Doug will take as much pitching as he can get so by adding Vargas that doesn't mean he feels like he filled the 1 spot we needed filled. I think it is pretty clear that we are not willing to trade a contributer this year or a prospect who is close to contributing in the next couple of years to get a quality arm this year. In my mind, we still have a team that can compete for a playoff spot this year, guys just have to step up.

If you can't improve the team this year, you should be trying to improve it next year and beyond. Perhaps they tried to do that, but I kinda doubt it.

I take issue with this. It's difficult to sell when you want to compete the very next season. The Brewers could very well be interested in re-signing Cameron, Hoffman, Counsell and maybe even Lopez for next season. And I'm of the opinion that Hardy should also be kept next year to make the playoff push, so I don't really think they were in great position to sell much of anything.

I dont see what everyone is so mad about. It isnt like this team is in first place or even a game out and trying to distance themselves like the Cubs or Cards. It isnt like we are running away with a division like the Dodgers and Phillies and trying to get ready for the playoffs. Due to injury (Bush, Suppan) an ineffectiveness (Parra) we need warm bodies to even remain competitive. Even if we had Sabathia instead of Looper we might be in the same position. It really isnt Melvin's fault. I say we reload for next year this offseason and go all out.

What is the point of this post?

There are really 2 points.

1.) I disagree with your idea that Vargas is a quality pitcher, and that this move is anything but a Frank-Burns-MASH deal. I also do not think "Vinny Rottino is absolutely nothing"

2.) I want to promote awareness regarding those earwigs that lay eggs in your brain when you sleep.

I dont see what everyone is so mad about. It isnt like this team is in first place or even a game out and trying to distance themselves like the Cubs or Cards. It isnt like we are running away with a division like the Dodgers and Phillies and trying to get ready for the playoffs. Due to injury (Bush, Suppan) an ineffectiveness (Parra) we need warm bodies to even remain competitive. Even if we had Sabathia instead of Looper we might be in the same position. It really isnt Melvin's fault. I say we reload for next year this offseason and go all out.
Personally, I'm not mad, and to me it's not about Rottino-for-Vargas, it's more just frustration with the whole thing-the injuries, the underachievement, the rotation and organizational pitching as it was constituted, the trade market this season as it pertains to the Brewers' needs and abilities: "So this is what it's come to."

Yeah, we knew before that this is what it's come to, but to see it materialize is still cause for bitter laughter.

Personally, I'm not mad, and to me it's not about Rottino-for-Vargas, it's more just frustration with the whole thing--the injuries, the underachievment, the rotation (and organizational pitching) as it was constituted to begin with, the trade market this year as it fits the Brewers and their situation: "So this is what it's come to."

Yeah, we knew before that this is what it's come to, but to see it materialize is still cause for bitter laughter.

Sometimes one would think we were 10 games under .500 with no shot at the post-season. The facts are we are .500 and only 4 games out of first place with basically 3/5 of our starting rotation hurt or a huge dissapointment all year. What do people expect? We are not willing to move any part that might contribute to this team in 2010 or 2011 so what are we suppose to do? We are still a pennant race for the time being so why not accept that and try to enjoy it. If not, go back 5 or 6 years and tell me how much fun you were having watching and following Brewer baseball.

I guess I will just chalk it up as your humor does nothing for me in regards to point #2.

There is nothing remotely funny about egg-laying earwigs.

It's looking more and more like Rottino really is nothing, though. At least here. He was blocked just about everywhere.

I understand that Rottino really had no future here -- I just think it is sort of funny that of all the stop-gap solutions, ours had to be Vargas.

I don't see what the big deal is. Somebody has to pitch. This move doesn't mean that we're sellers or buyers, just that we needed to fill a roster spot due to injuries. And standing pat isn't the worst thing - it could just mean that there weren't any worthwhile deals on the table. Plus, we could still take the division with 85 wins, and get hot in time for the playoffs.

The thing that gets me is that we traded for a guy we released. That never feels good.

This is the crux of it right here.

Well, to be fair, Vargas didn't fit then. There wasn't a place for him.

There's a place now. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Archived