Brewer Fanatic

Why is there zero interest in Victor Martinez?

Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen them linked to Martinez at all - He's under contract for next season as well and would be a huge upgrade offensively.

Maybe Melvin doesn't want to piss Kendall off....

How much can he actually catch these days? He's only caught 51 games this year, and 55 all of last year, and he was a bad hitter last year. I just don't think he's a good bet to be a good hitter and catch 120 games in the NL.

He was banged up last year, I think that was the main reason he caught so few games - not sure about this year, but that's till over half the games and they have a really good backup catcher in Shoppach (could be part of the reason they aren't having him catch as much)...... he did catch 121 games 2 seasons ago.

Heck, even if he caught 3-4 games a week it would be a big upgrade, and from what I've read it sounds more like a salary dump - I think he could be had without giving up one of the elite prospects.

He was banged up last year, I think that was the main reason he caught so few games

That's not exactly a point in his favor.

If the Indians want to move him and no other teams offer anything of note, I think it would be good to offer some players that aren't important to the Brewers to snatch him. But I wouldn't want to give up anything that could be used to improve the Brewers either through their own play or in acquiring a pitcher, as Stevo notes above.

Red Sox attempting to work out deal for Martinez, Rays also interested

ESPN is reporting the Red Sox are trying to work a three-way deal to get Martinez and would be sending the Indians Clay Buchholz. The third team would mostly be there to throw in prospects and receive prospects. The Sox also want to trade LaRoche either in that deal, or an unrelated deal.

And while this is kind of merging two transaction rumors, the Rays are reportedly interested in Martinez as well, but they'd have to shed salary (the ESPN article speculates Kazmir) in order to do it. It has been said the Brewers are not a good match for Cleveland, but might they match up with Tampa Bay to jump in on Kazmir as the third team in that deal?

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Done deal to Red Sox for Masterson and 2 other pitchers.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Terrible deal for Cleveland. Mediocre pitcher in Masterson, Hagedone off TJ surgery and an A pitcher with a 6.5 ERA. Good job Shapiro. Heads should be rolling in Cleveland in the off season.

Archived