Brewer Fanatic

Pirates trade Grabow and Gorzelanny to Cubs for Hart, Ascanio and Harrison

It is mentioned, in the Rumors/Proposals forum. I think it's a good deal for the Cubs. Gorzelanny has already proven something at the major league level. Reminds me of Manny Parra...had a good year, and now struggling.

Man it's a darn good thing those Pittsburgh sports fans have the Steelers and Penguins to cheer for.

I wonder when the last time you had such a difference between local sports teams like that.

Man it's a darn good thing those Pittsburgh sports fans have the Steelers and Penguins to cheer for.

I wonder when the last time you had such a difference between local sports teams like that.

The disparity between the Brewers and Packers in the late 90's and early 2000's was pretty big. Things could be worse for Pittsburgh -- they could be Cincinnati or Cleveland. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The Brewers and Packers don't play in the same city. Jhart asked about local teams.

Isn't that just a technicality? Anyway, what about the Yankees & Giants vs. the Knicks in the past few years? Or the Lakers vs. the Clippers (that huge disparity is in the same sport! Not just the same city). Lakers/Clippers is like Cards/Browns, except the Clippers never made a Finals because all the good players from other teams were away fighting the Nazis.

The Brewers and Packers don't play in the same city. Jhart asked about local teams.
seriously? you dont think most of milwaukee thinks of the brewers and the packers as their local teams?

I live in the Milwaukee area and I know I consider both to be my local team.

I think the Grabow addition is much bigger for the Cubs. They have a set rotation and Gorzellany will stay in AAA as insurance.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I think the Grabow addition is much bigger for the Cubs. They have a set rotation and Gorzellany will stay in AAA as insurance.
The good news is one of Grabow's primary jobs will be to get Fielder out and Fielder has owned Grabow.

Burnie, you're forgetting that Lilly is on the DL and Dempster just came off the DL with a rather poor outing. At this point in time that "set rotation" as you call it, included Hart. So right now Gorzelany is more than AAA insurance he will probably start next Tuesday. Harrison is supposed to be a decent prospect and Hart has proved that he can pitch in the "show".

Maybe the Cubs were selling high on Hart, but I liked him better than Grabow or Gorzelanny.
That's really why I don't understand this move for the Cubs. If they're moving Hart, how big of an actual upgrade to their rotation is Gorzelanny?
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Burnie, you're forgetting that Lilly is on the DL and Dempster just came off the DL with a rather poor outing. At this point in time that "set rotation" as you call it, included Hart. So right now Gorzelany is more than AAA insurance he will probably start next Tuesday. Harrison is supposed to be a decent prospect and Hart has proved that he can pitch in the "show".
Yep, I did forget about Lilly. I suppose you have to consider the fragility of Harden as well. So yeah, I guess it's not nearly as set as I thought.

Did the Pirates really have 5 better options at SP than Gorzellany that they left him in AAA?

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Maybe the Cubs were selling high on Hart, but I liked him better than Grabow or Gorzelanny.
That's really why I don't understand this move for the Cubs. If they're moving Hart, how big of an actual upgrade to their rotation is Gorzelanny?
I think Gorzo has a higher upside than Hart, who people tend to say has maxed out his potention in his 4 start audition in the Cubs rotation. The thing that no one talks about is how Gorzelanny grew up on the South Side of Chicago and absolutely HATED the Cubs growing up, and hasn't been afraid to make that known during his time as a Pirate. It is going to be an interesting match to say the least.

Archived