Brewer Fanatic

Two More Busted for steriods in 2003....

Does anyone really care that David Ortiz used steroids in 2003? If he had just come out and admitted that he did indeed test positive because he was using steroids back in 2003, I think the media and the public would have been understanding. It makes my blood boil every time a player tests positive and then confesses that he never took steroids. We know what happened Papi. Everyone was doing it and you wanted to become the best player you could be, so you injected yourself with roids at a time when MLB wasn't testing.

A hundred positive tests and a hundred players taking unknown OTC supplements and vtamins.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some hate him, or call him a rat, but my opinion is that Canseco has done more to clean up the game than anybody. I'd believe what he has to say ahead of 'Papi' or any other player, because lots of these guys are proven liars (Arod, Palmeiro, Sosa, etc., etc.). I haven't seen one statement Canseco has made to be disproven.

Ortiz probably wouldn't even be playing now if he wasn't a juicer.

Does anyone really care that David Ortiz used steroids in 2003?

I do. I don't like being lied to, and I feel that there has been lying going on for 15-20 years. Why invest the time, money and emotion into caring about MLB if the results are largely determined by who is doing a better job of cycling illegal drugs? It's like pulling back the curtain on the Wizard of Oz and seeing that it's just a guy.

As it turns out, the real Eric Gagne wasn't a very good pitcher. I don't want him to have all of that glory from his Dodgers days, since his performance was manufactured.

With the Ortiz and Manny tests coming out, it plants a seed of doubt about that whole '04 Red Sox team. . .Millar, Lowell, Beckett, Schilling, Damon, Varitek, Nomar, Kapler, Pedro, Foulke. What were we really watching with that group?

With the Ortiz and Manny tests coming out, it plants a seed of doubt about that whole '04 Red Sox team. . .Millar, Lowell, Beckett, Schilling, Damon, Varitek, Nomar, Kapler, Pedro, Foulke. What were we really watching with that group?
I think adding Trot Nixon to that list is a safe bet, in my opinion.

Agreed on Nixon. . .I skipped past him in looking at their roster on baseball-reference.com.

I'll admit, once the light was shined on the Red Sox fans, they became a pretty insufferable lot. The whole Sweet Caroline thing and the ivy league frat boys are extremely unlikable. ESPN chokes us with all that Yanks vs. Sox stuff. . .But for a lot of people who were loyal followers of that Boston franchise, to have finally won after all those years. . .the history, with Bobby Doerr, Ted Williams, Dom DiMaggio, Jimmie Foxx, Yaz, Fred Lynn, Rice, Fisk, etc. . .to now have to question the whole '04 team. . .that's just cruel.

What if we learned down the road that Braun and Fielder and Gallardo were users? Or Yount or Molitor? After all those hours we spent cheering them on and expressing concern over their performance. . .to learn later that we were being duped? That would matter to us.

What were we really watching with that group?

http://www.bodypharma.net/images/chest-injections1.jpg

Cowboy Up!

What if we learned down the road that Braun and Fielder and Gallardo were users? Or Yount or Molitor? After all those hours we spent cheering them on and expressing concern over their performance. . .to learn later that we were being duped? That would matter to us.

I personally don't believe that PED abuse has stopped in MLB. It's an interesting time to be a fan, and an interesting aspect of being a fan. I believe that anyone paying to watch MLB right now (including those that 'only' watch the games on TV, like me) is enabling PED abuse. I guess it's basic supply and demand -- MLB has a product I want to watch badly, so I continue to do so even though I believe that PEDs are still being abused all around the league.

In fact, I am fully prepared to learn at some point that one of our 'heroes' is/was abusing PEDs. I only pick him as an example because he's our big HR slugger, but if the Brewers were not 'my team', I would definitely assume Fielder is a user. Maybe that's not fair, but as a fan I have just seen so many top players who got to the top by doping. It seems that if that's what it takes to make yourself an elite hitter, why should we assume anyone isn't doing it?

As an aside, I highly recommend the documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster*. It does an exceptional job calling into question all aspects of the steroids/PEDs debate, including leading the viewer to look in the mirror. If anyone hasn't seen it, and finds this topic compelling, do not miss this film.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I, for one, I'm sure, actually agree with this decision.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4424048

SAN FRANCISCO -- An appeals court ruled Wednesday that federal agents were wrong to seize the infamous drug list and samples of 104 Major League Baseball players who allegedly tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003.

In a 9-2 vote, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with three lower court judges who chastised investigators who had a warrant for only 10 drug test results as part of the BALCO investigation into Barry Bonds and others..................

Archived