Brewer Fanatic

Two More Busted for steriods in 2003....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Five others have been tied to positive tests from that year: Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa, Jason Grimsley and David Segui. Bonds, baseball's career home runs leader, was not on the original list, although federal agents seized his 2003 sample and had it retested. Those results showed the presence of steroids, according to court documents."

and

"Asked about the 2003 drug test on Thursday in Boston, Ortiz shrugged. 'I'm not talking about that anymore,' he said. 'I have no comment.'"

are my favs of the article.

Why would Big Papi Pump want to talk about his steroid use? How many roiders actually want to talk about their drug use? Its funny and sad at the same time. Too bad MLB can't take away the Red Sox titles, since the majority of their offensive production was juicing.

Finally, the "speculation" tag to Bonds roid use should be removed for good. He did test positive, so throw "hasn't been caught" out the window. His use regimen was also clearly documented by the SF journalists.

sheethead wrote:Too bad MLB can't take away the Red Sox titles, since the majority of their offensive production was juicing.

It makes no sense to want to do that, for several reasons. How do you know that the Cardinals or Rockies weren't also using PEDs? I don't understand the holier-than-thou attitude that many fans take about this. Every team has had numerous users. There is no team's fanbase that should really feel smug about these (or similar) revelations.

sheethead wrote:Too bad MLB can't take away the Red Sox titles, since the majority of their offensive production was juicing.

It makes no sense to want to do that, for several reasons. How do you know that the Cardinals or Rockies weren't also using PEDs? I don't understand the holier-than-thou attitude that many fans take about this. Every team has had numerous users. There is no team's fanbase that should really feel smug about these (or similar) revelations.

It was partially tongue in cheek, but I go by what I know. I now know for a fact these two were using at the very least through 2003. I don't know any Cards or Rox that were using as of this time. I don't understand how some can assume others were using when these names are leaked. You can go with your speculation, I will go by what I know.

Is this an issue? Is this news? Lets just ban all players stats and championships from...oh...lets see, 1995 till 2004 just to be on the safe side. Why am I even chiming in. Oh yeah, because I'm still blaming the Germans for WWII! Whew.

Holding Ortiz by his word, he should be able to play again at the start of next August.

To be fair, he said that no one should be punished before 2004 (which is when he tested positive, coincidentally). He was saying people who test positive now should be suspended for a year.
Follow me on Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I now know for a fact these two were using at the I now know for a fact these two were using at the very least through 2003.very least through 2003.

That's not a known fact. It's leaked information from a supposedly "sealed document" by anonymous sources.

Why? These "anonymous sources" know that what they're doing is BLATANTLY illegal, so what credibility do they have?

This stuff is nonsense. I don't like Papi, I don't like Manny, but I'm not going to hold them in contempt because of leaked results from a sealed survey test that they were told would be sealed.

This is ESPN trying to make news. Nothing more.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Also, for the record, I think every single guy who's tabbed by these "anonymous sources" should do nothing BUT deny. Until the "anonymous sources" come forward with who they are and why they're leaking this info, their credibility is zero.

Cue sappy Sports Guy column.
I'm a big Simmons fan, can't wait to see what he has to say about his boy on this one.

Not a big surprise, but I really loved that 2004 Red Sox team and was happy when they won, now it seems like a big sham. I hope they just release the entire list.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Why? These "anonymous sources" know that what they're doing is BLATANTLY illegal, so what credibility do they have?

I am reluctant to start believing that government lawyers are making up facts, leaked illegally or not. Maybe someone with a conscious believes the public deserves to know who was cheating.

Objective journalism surely transcends sports rivalries. This isn't the NY Post you're talking about here.
From the same newspaper that gave us more than one plagiarist in the last decade alone?!
Plagiarism isn't exactly objective... The idea that the reporters in this case hold the Red Sox in high contempt enough to risk their own reputation is far-fetched and ludicrous. It's not as if there's no precedent in the matter.

Archived