Brewer Fanatic

New Website- Brewers Blog with posts daily

I have had a Brewers Blog and post just about everyday. I am a frequent user of brewerfan.net and would like to improve my readership and find out what you guys think of my thoughts. I am a senior at UWM majoring in Journalism so any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks and GO Brewers! The link is posted below.

http://brewcrewdaily.blogspot.com/

(added clickability to link --1992)

You wanted some input so here's mine. It doesn't seem to flow well, and there are a few gramatical errors. Other than stating what other people have said, I don't really see your opinion coming through. That's just me though. I find it hard to read blogs that quote from other blogs. Other than that, I like the layout of the blog itself. I know that this might seem a little harsh, but it is just my honest opinion.

No, I completely take any feedback. Lodiness, I appreciate your comments honestly. I have also found that the most successful blogs that are out there do mix in their own thoughts, with the thoughts of other people. That was what I was trying to accomplish. I come across, to a lot of people, as someone who passionately defends my point of view. I didn't want the blog to be 100% my own opinion. Thanks guys for taking a look. RyDogg, I do anticipate sticking with this blog. I have been a season ticket holder with my father since 2002. I will post everyday, and find new, interesting information in order to appeal to my audience.

I give you a lot of credit for making the effort to do a blog like that and also for sharing it with us on this site. This is just my opinion... The reporting on what other people said in their blogs is ok but I'd bet everyone that is interested in hot stove/trade deadline info is already hitting prosportsdaily, espn, jsonline, sites like that. I'd find it more interesting to read your opinion of each game you go to. Not all of us have season tickets. You apparently do. Maybe like a running diary of a game. Even if you did like a different beer for your tailgate each day, something along those lines. It would give people a feel for what it's like to have season tickets in a way. What the crowd was like and observations that those of us watching on tv aren't getting to make. Combine that with your own opinions on trades, free agent signings, players, and throw in a few photos you take and it's worth checking out.

Hope that was what you were looking for as far as feedback.

I have also found that the most successful blogs that are out there do mix in their own thoughts, with the thoughts of other people. That was what I was trying to accomplish.
I think you're doing a good job of this, but its hard to tell for someone just taking a quick glance. The subjects and first few sentences of the posts kind make it sound like you're re-reporting news that people can easily find elsewhere. I can see that you're not doing this, so maybe try to make the titles less news-y, and go into the opinion part from the start?

It's fine. . .it's just not compelling. There isn't anything on your site that brings me back to look a 2nd or 3rd time.

The writing is fine/good. . .but nothing's jumping out at me. It doesn't need to be bombastic, but it should have something unique.

Do you have authorization to use the Brewers' logo? And how about the pics that you have. . .are you in danger of using someone else's work without paying for it?

Something you might want to look into before getting more involved.

This is all great information. PHI I liked your post on what else you would like to see. I understand how important a new interesting side of things is important. I will surely take this into consideration. My opinion will be shown more frequently in the blog, along with other rare things I promise you. Thanks so much for your time everybody.

I really like the colors and layout of your site. I only had time to skim the first article on Vargas, but I noticed 4 gramatical errors right away. That's fine for a messageboard post, but to be perfect honest, I probably wouldn't take a blog very seriously with that many mistakes in such a short post.

If you are majoring in journalism, perhaps you could work that in and talk about your experiences and what you are learning in addition to reporting your opinions on the Brewers. I think it would be interesting to hear your story in addition to your opinions. I would love to be a sports journalist, but didn't go that route. I suspect a lot of other people feel the same way and would be interested in that take on the Brewers.

Hope that helps, and I will continue to check in from time to time.

To echo some of the thoughts of others and to add my own: I really like the layout and appreciate your personal thoughts on each item you post. In fact, your personal thoughts are a big part of what makes the blog interesting. While it is easy to find straight news from guys like McCalvy and Tom Hardicourt, I am more interested in reading what others are thinking about various topics involving the Brewers. Regular updates to the blog are also important to drawing readers in.

I will continue to check you out. A drawback for me is the typographical errors. I understand that blogs are intended to be significantly less formal than news articles and other media. However, for some reason, typos and misspellings always trip me up when I read someone else's work. (I admit that this is quite hypocritical of me since I often make such errors as well.)

yeah, normally i wouldn't mention the slight grammatical errors except that you're a Journalism major (but yeah, i know that's what copy editors are there for). i recently got out of that field, myself, and presuming you'll at least mention your blog to prospective employers, be sure to clean it up as best you can. same goes with writing style.

layout was really easy to follow and i didn't get lost in a field of news tidbits, which i liked. what struck me right off is similar to what an above poster said, that it's basically a compilation of "this is what happened in Brewers news." there's a little bit of commentary, but not a whole lot, and it's that commentary that is going to get me to read the blog versus just heading to the Brewers' Web site and getting the news there.

I guess the only reason I brought up the grammer stuff is that running it through Word would probably solve all the problems, which takes just a couple of seconds. I don't think thats necessary for a post on a messageboard, but for a blog to be taken seriously, I think it is important.

I see it has already been updated and the new post looks much better. Keep up the good work!

JimH5,

Do you have authorization for the avatar you use...... . .are you in danger of using someone else's work without paying for it???

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that his avatar photo doesn't have ©s and ®s and TMs all over it. The Brewers' logo does, though. Its probably not likely, but the club or MLB could send out legal threats if the logo is used without authorization. JimH5 wasn't trying to be rude or anything, its definitely worth noting.

You wanted some input so here's mine. It doesn't seem to flow well, and there are a few gramatical errors.
I think you meant "grammatical" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I just posted a column where I discussed what Melvin could have done differently. Seeing as there is a gigantic thread on a Melvin firing, I am interested in what could have been done differently. I am looking forward to your comments.

Also, I am interested in what you guys are looking for in a blog. I understand now that you are not looking for something that just states what others have already said. My favorite writer is Joe Posnanski, who writes for the Royals. I would like to model a Brewers' blog that is similar to that in some way.

Archived