Brewer Fanatic

Rosenthal: Brewers interested in Kevin Correia

I wonder if they might be able to qlwo get their hands on Chad Gaudin in this deal who would be controlled for a couple years as well. Again, not that he is anything spectacular, but he could provide some additional depth this year and next.

Gaudin's under control a year longer than is Correia (through 2011) so I don't think the Padres are likely to move him. It certainly would take more to get him. Neither are the type you'd want to overpay for. Brewers' pressing need is for arms in 2010 and Correia fits that bill well. By 2011, they have a chance to get something from within the system.

I don't think Dillard or Cody will give us 6 to 7 innings, whereas Correia would. Like I pointed out before, he has been quite good in his last 10 starts(not all at home) and could give our pen some relief which could help in other games.

If he can give us 6-7 innings a start, why doesn't he do that for the Padres? He hasn't even done that over his last 10 starts, when you claim he's been so good but has a below average ERA, despite pitching half those games in the best pitchers park in the league by a longshot.

I think the comment comparing him to Suppan is not supported by the statistics.

I think Suppans stats would look way better if he pitched half his games at Petco. It would cut down his massive HR totals, which would make a dramtic difference in his ERA.

Maybe Corriea is OK, but I'm guessing that since he hasn't been dealt yet and he's cheap (through he's getting more expensive because he earns a $50 K bonus for starts 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, and 32), no body has made a move for him. I'm guessing the Padres are asking for more than you anticipate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If the trade turns out to be basically for a bag of balls and cash for Correja, I don't see the harm. I'd agree that Hall for Igawa probably makes more sense, but I don't know how interested the Yankees are in that deal either.

Robert

Guys, I have no way of knowing, but I think we'll be giving up a better prospect than you guys are thinking. Probably not in the second tier of Lucroy/Green/Cain but probably that third tier. I guess we'll see, but I am expecting a 10-15 type prospect going to SD if we execute this deal.

If they decided to trade for Correia they could opt to start Villanueva Saturday on three days rest knowing the most they'll get out of him is 3-4 innings anyway, ultimately backing him up with Dillard et. al.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Someone mentioned him earlier this year. He's a low ceiling guy, but admittedly, he's probably far better than Cody or Burns.

At this point, I'd probably go with CV and Dillard, and play some roster games with Burns and others if they pitch in relief. For example, if CV goes Sat, and goes 3.1, Burns backs him up, and goes 2.2, then Burns goes back down, to allow for a replacement for Sunday.

I'm not saying Correia is the answer, and maybe the pads are asking too much, but I'm pretty disappointed the brewers are just sitting on their hands at this point...... When you look at the big picture, they are still only 3.5 games out (assuming the dodgers hold on tonight), I'm not saying they should give up the farm but they should get an arm or two that at least gives them a shot to win...... Burns/CV/Dillard doesn't do that and it's pretty much throwing in the towel for the season.

It's 3.5 games and a really soft schedule over the next month...... season is far from over, but if they trot out burns/cv/dillard every 2 out of 5 days it might as well be over.

That's a good point, but I still think they'd need to get at least a mediocre arm or 2 to tide them over and give them a shot...... I realize it's a long shot either way, and maybe the pads are asking for a lot........ but they need to find a way to get a guy or two in that at least gives them a shot, I don't think Burns/CV/Dillard gives them much of one.

A deal is on the horizon, but you guys probably will be underwhelmed. Trust me, Mr. Melvin has worked harder at this trade deadline than he EVER has before. Sellers are in the drivers seat and he has held back for all the right reasons. The Brewers want to win now, but sellers are being ridiculous for the most part. Brian was right, the Brewers had a deal in early June, but injury held it back. He (Melvin) knew this staff needed help before they totally blew up. He was not naive. (And yes, he could have done something in offseason, but what?) That is why I cannot believe many on here are asking for Mr. Melvin's head. The only thing I can remember that would have changed was last year at the break he had an opportunity to sell high with Corey Hart to add a Greinke or Cain. He didn't do it because he already made a great move with Sabathia and he was too "loyal" to Hart.

However, the Phils did a hell of a job getting Lee, imo. If the Crew had any semblance of advanced young pitching talent, Lee would have been ours. I know Jack Z is worshiped on here (so was Billy Hall and Ben Grieve), but he really did a bad job with judging pitching talent. Gallardo and...umm. Rumor has it anyway that the cross checker (begged) convinced Jack to pick Gallardo and he was not even a "Jack" guy.

Sorry about the soapbox talk. It may (not) be Correia, btw, and I did not want to start new thread. Seemed senseless.

bobskube-

Since you seem to be in the know... is there anything to the rumors surrounding Hardy, particularly Cincinnati?

Honestly, that would be news to me. However, I know Hardy will probably not be a Brewer in 2010. Hardly a reach because everyone knows that. The problem is now is that you may sell Hardy a bit low. If Hardy goes on one of his two month streaks, he will be far more attractive in off-season even though he has only one year left.

Think small time stop gap for tonight or tomorrow.

And yes, he could have done something in offseason, but what?) That is why I cannot believe many on here are asking for Mr. Melvin's head.

What he should have done was acquired fireballing Edwin Jackson. If they're paid to scout, they should have seen there was a chance Jackson would breakout. The 25 year old fireballer is 3.3 WAR better than Looper. We could have gotten him for Hart, and then signed or traded for any one of the slew of available OFs the offseason. If we'd added Willingham, we'd be the best team in the division.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Bobskube, who was it in June? Who would have been given up?
I really don't get much info from the Brewers at all. It is more from the agent side. Even agents sometimes don't know who their client is being traded for.

Ask Brian who we were about to acquire.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

So we've reached a point now where it's unfair to suggest something should have been done after the fact? Isn't it enough that a select few of us have been clamoring for talent upgrades in the rotation for almost 2 years now? Because we didn't pinpoint the exact deal at the exact time we have no business pointing out the obvious moves? It's not like Jackson was some obscure player who just broke out, he was one of the top prospects in all of baseball at one point in time, and we have a recent history of trading with the Rays. I was actually thinking Sonanstine would be the SP pitcher moved, I really wanted Shields, but if we had known Jackson was available there's no doubt 1, if not both of us would have suggested a move for him. I actually wanted Niemann over Wright and Green and have said as much numerous times including at the time of the trade for Wright.

I was only looking at his history with the Brewers, but if you look at his tenure in Texas as well it's readily apparent that DM doesn't make many moves for top of the rotation prospect pitching. His only acquisition as a Brewer was JDLR who was part of the massive Sexson trade in 2003. How about some objectivity? We don't know what deals were offered, what talent he was pursuing, but the fact that we've acquired mostly soft tossing SP with injury histories and/or ceilings around that of 3/4 types just based on pure stuff it shouldn't be a surprise that we've reached this point with the rotation. Neither X or I are saying "I told you so", we're simply stating the obvious, if you aren't able to develop enough pitching, and you don't trade for it, at some point you're going to run out of it. It's a very simple concept that keeps getting blown way out of proportion.

Instead of being concerned with "depth", many of us wanted "quality depth", the 2 acquisitions that settled most posters down, Wright and Green, have backfired horribly... Burns out pitched them both by a wide margin in AAA and he seems to be the pitcher that everyone wants to replace right now.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Well, the point is exactly that there wasn't any talk of trading for Jackson or Willingham. Or not even those two specific players, but any other potential break-out candidates or otherwise underrated players. Melvin has shown an incapability of selling his players high, and for all the garbage-bin players that he's picked up, few have proven to be key pieces to the present or future Brewers team.

Edit - Not responding to TheCrew's post, which I generally agree with.

Archived