Brewer Fanatic

Rosenthal: Brewers interested in Kevin Correia

I watched a lot of him when he was with the Giants and can't imagine what the Brewers would be seeing in him.

He was effective out of the pen for a while so maybe they'd be looking for him to fill the McClung role--a role you wouldn't want to invest much in.

This would be an awful move, unless they get him for free, in which case it is only a bad move. The Padres have been blatantly shopping this scrub all season. The stories would always say things like "the Padres could be convinced to part with the veteran righthander but not much interest has developed". Yeah, obviously, because he is terrible.

Tell us how you really feel Joe! I think you are overreacting a bit. We need someone, anyone, that can give us some innings. In his last 10 starts, Correia has pitched at least 6 innings 7 times. He has 7 quality starts(not my term) in those 10 starts. 6 of those 10 starts were on the road, and he had impressive outings in Texas and Houston. The fact he might eat some innings could help our pen, which in term may help us win some other games. The price I'm sure will be very, very low.

Honestly I would take him for our bullpen ife he is not a free agent after this year.(if the price is right) He had a bad year last year but I think he was pitching thru some injuries. I said this a few weeks ago. I would still look at El Duque & see if the Yankees would take Bill Hall for Kei Igwana & let them finish up the year.

I watched a lot of him when he was with the Giants and can't imagine what the Brewers would be seeing in him.
The Brewers have 61 games left, and MLB requires them to have someone pitch 27 outs in each of them. He gets paid next to nothing, and will cost next to nothing. This is a move to be able to play out the rest of the season, and little more.

This is definately the kind of move Melvin makes. Aquire a soft tossing pitching with a tollerable ERA. Ignore the fact that the ERA isn't real, ignore that this pitcher will regress to his means, and he will then be intollerable. Don't waste the prospect Doug. If we want a cheap bad pitcher, just start Dillard or Chris Cody.

Correia won't soak up innings when he pitches in a real park and gets hammered around.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

i'm fine with it, bottom line we need a starter and i don't think we are at a point where its OK to give up a good prospect. If we get someone like Correia and only have to give up a top 20 prospect, i won't criticize it, but i don't think he will help too much. It better than throwing out mike burns though.

It better than throwing out mike burns though.
In what way? My thought is that another 4/5 pitcher doesn't help this team win this year. Put another way, why give up anything to move from 81 to 83 wins this year (I'm not conceding that Correia gives you two wins over Burns/other internal options. I'm just using two wins as a optimistic estimate of Correia's contribution). With no real shot at the wild card and three teams above us in our division, Correia is not a difference-maker for this year and I hope to not have to watch him pitch next year.

I don't think Dillard or Cody will give us 6 to 7 innings, whereas Correia would. Like I pointed out before, he has been quite good in his last 10 starts(not all at home) and could give our pen some relief which could help in other games. We are still not out of the race and Correia will not cost us a real prospect. I think the comment comparing him to Suppan is not supported by the statistics. Suppan's WHIP is 1.64 and Correia is 1.32. Correia walks 3.2 per 9 and Soup walks 4.2. Correia gives up 9 hits per 9 innings and Soup gives up 11. Soup makes 10 million, Correia will cost us 250K. Correia has had one terrible season, partly due to arm issues. He is worth takind a chance on and could move to the pen if Bush and Soup come back.

I'm trying to figure out where the terms "soft tossing" and "junkballer" are coming from in regards to Correia unless you guys consider a 93-94 mph fastball as "junk". Because that's what he was hitting in his last start in beating the Reds.

Correia makes perfect sense for where the Brewers are right now. He's an improvement albeit slight over the current back end, and he's under control for next year when he'd be a decent candidate to replace Looper.

Melvin's obviously in the same spot he was in 2006. Being a pure buyer no longer makes sense. He's not willing to all out sell either so he's looking for ways to stabilize this year's team with an eye to next year.

I wonder if they might be able to qlwo get their hands on Chad Gaudin in this deal who would be controlled for a couple years as well. Again, not that he is anything spectacular, but he could provide some additional depth this year and next.

Archived