Brewer Fanatic

Pirates trade Jack Wilson and Ian Snell to M's for Jeff Clement, Ronny Cedeno, Aaron Pribanic, Brett Lorin, Nathan Adcock

ryne100

Well The M's aren't going to be looking at a SS anymore (Atleast not Hardy). Wilson probably isn't there long term answer though so they probably would still have an interest in a SS prospect.

Jack Z did a good job at buying low on Snell. By all accounts Clement was never going to make it in Seattle, no idea who the other guys are. So assuming the rest of the bunch going to the Pirates are B Level prospects I would say Seattle fared pretty well.

The Pirates already have some catching depth so I would assume Clement is going to play 1st for them and Cedeno can play Ss for the time being

Provisional Member
The Pirates already have some catching depth so I would assume Clement is going to play 1st for them...
Good call on that one. One of the blogs quoted even refers to him as a 1B and not a catcher.

It's starting to feel like the Pirates have traded their entire roster this season.

The past 12 months, theyve moved Bay, Nady, McClouth, Laroche, Cub and Brewer killer Morgan, Wilson, and Snell and Sanchez isnt too far behind in there never ending quest to remove anything romotely resembling talent from their team, and Im sure in about 3 years time all of these prospects they're aquiring will be treated the same way.

Pretty solid deal for both sides, I think. Snell has the potential to be a huge steal for Jack Z, while Clement still has a bit of promise in his bat. Considering a lot of people were hoping to get Clement in a trade for J.J. Hardy, I think it's pretty good for the Bucs to get him in a trade involving Jack Wilson. The incredible part is that while it seems like almost the entire roster has turned over, they're still trying to move Freddy Sanchez and Zach Duke.

Here's the running tally for the Pirates this year...I'm probably forgetting somebody, but it's still quite a list.

OUT:

Jack Wilson

Ian Snell

Adam LaRoche

Nyjer Morgan

Sean Burnett

Eric Hinske

Nate McLouth

IN:

Jeff Clement

Ronny Cedeno

Aaron Pribanic

Brett Lorin

Hunter Strickland

Argenis Diaz

Nathan Adcock

Casey Erickson

Eric Fryer

Lastings Milledge

Joel Hanrahan

Gorkys Hernandez

Charlie Morton

Jeff Locke

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

In general, I've been a fan of Huntington's apparent m.o. McLouth is really the only player they moved that is close to being an impact player, and they seem to have added some useful players.

One of the blogs quoted even refers to him as a 1B and not a catcher.

I think the short porch at PNC might help enhance Clement's value as a hitter. Whether it will be enough to justify him playing at 1B is another topic, but at worst it seems like the Bucs added a couple of young, cheap placeholders in Clement & Cedeno.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This is the first move I don't like by Zduriencik (not counting the Griffey/Sweeney signings, but I figured the Griffey thing was a sop to Mariners fans and I thought Sweeney making the team over Shelton was probably an instance where a GM let the manager make the final call on which marginal bench player to keep). I think the M's gave up too much for guys who aren't especially good or especially cheap. That's not to say that Snell and Wilson won't help the team, because they probably will, but I don't think Z did a great job of buying low here.

I think I have to disagree on the Mariners giving up too much talent. Jeff Clement(Marc Newfield V2.0) is about 1 season from bust status and I am pretty sure Ronny Cedeno is in his prime right now. As for the other guys if Jack Z looked at them and said we can give this pitching away I would feel pretty good if I was a Mariners fan. Jack Wilson is a heck of a short stop and Ian Snell has the tools to be a number 2-3 starter.

The Pirates are out to aquire 20 prospects you have to figure at least one or two should make it. But on the other hand it is the Pirates.

I think the Pirates are being smart...they're acquiring a lot of good young cheap prospects. Sure, all of them won't pan out, but if a few do, they'll have a nice young core and then they can supplement with some FA acquisitions. Really, I'm not sure what other plan they could go with at this point that would make any better sense.

That said, given their franchise history over the past 15+ years, they'll probably still screw it up somehow.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

When you consider all the guys the have traded in the last 2 years, it is pretty amazing that they were so terrible. A lineup with McClouth, Bay, LaRoche, Wilson, Nady, Sanchez etc wasn't all that bad. And their pitching has never been horrible either. They have had some good pitching talent in Duke, Maholm, Snell, Gorzo (Snell & Gorzo were atleast solid at one point)

I get what they are doing, they aren't going to win with the roster they have now so they might as well just gut it and start over. Although I can't imagine that the Pirate fanbase is to enthused right about now.

When you consider all the guys the have traded in the last 2 years, it is pretty amazing that they were so terrible. A lineup with McClouth, Bay, LaRoche, Wilson, Nady, Sanchez etc wasn't all that bad. And their pitching has never been horrible either. They have had some good pitching talent in Duke, Maholm, Snell, Gorzo (Snell & Gorzo were atleast solid at one point)

I get what they are doing, they aren't going to win with the roster they have now so they might as well just gut it and start over. Although I can't imagine that the Pirate fanbase is to enthused right about now.

Their pitching and hitting never meshed in the same season. They really have been unlucky. Their pitching was great in 2007 but their offense stunk. In 2008 their offense was on fire but their entire, and I mean entire, pitching staff collapsed.

Here's the running tally for the Pirates this year...I'm probably forgetting somebody, but it's still quite a list.

OUT:

Jack Wilson

Ian Snell

Adam LaRoche

Nyjer Morgan

Sean Burnett

Eric Hinske

Nate McLouth

Freddy Sanchez

IN:

Jeff Clement

Ronny Cedeno

Aaron Pribanic

Brett Lorin

Hunter Strickland

Argenis Diaz

Nathan Adcock

Casey Erickson

Eric Fryer

Lastings Milledge

Joel Hanrahan

Gorkys Hernandez

Charlie Morton

Jeff Locke

Tim Alderson

Updated.

Since 2003, they've traded:

LF - Jason Bay

CF - Nate McLouth

RF - Xavier Nady

3B - Aramis Ramirez

SS - Jack Wilson

2B - Freddy Sanchez

1B - Adam LaRoche

C - Jason Kendall

SP - Ian Snell

RP - Mike Gonzalez

Not too bad of a team if you ask me...

Jack Wilson is a heck of a defensive short stop and Ian Snell has the tools to be a number 2-3 starter.

Sorry, but I had to fix that for you. With the bat he's abysmal, yet probably still an upgrade from Cedeno.

Pittsburgh can make all of the trades for prospects they want (especially since so few of the prospects they traded for are true impact players), but they're doomed to fail if they continue to pass on the top prospects in the draft when you're "lucky" enough to draft among the top three to five overall picks every year, something they have done pretty much every year with the exception of 2008 (Pedro Alvarez, and yet they didn't sign second rounder Tanner Scheppers). I also remember thinking the Pirates would be pretty good a year or two ago, and I guess I'll believe their success when I see it.

Here's a crazier way to look at it. This was the Pirates lineup for the second game of the season this year:

• N Morgan LF - Traded
  • F Sanchez 2B - Traded
  • N McLouth CF - Traded
  • R Doumit C
  • A LaRoche 1B - Traded
  • E Hinske RF - Traded
  • A LaRoche 3B
  • J Wilson SS - Traded
  • I Snell P - Traded

Archived