Brewer Fanatic

We need Jack Z back...

JoeDirt

http://blog.beliefnet.com/moviemom/jack_sparrow.jpg

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Why, his poor drafting has put us in the AAA and major league pitching situation we are in now, which is horrible. Sure he put a nice order in place but pitching is more important and should be the focus of every rebuilding team. That is why the Giants are in playoff contention with a terrible lineup and we are way out with a good lineup.

Why, his poor drafting has put us in the AAA and major league pitching situation we are in now, which is horrible.

I don't disagree with that at all, but I do think there is a Melvin factor involved as well. Which is to say, I think there is a bit of a philosophical thing in play wereby, I'm not convinced melvin really values pitching enough. I get the sense he has more interest in finding/developing the Brauns, Fielders and Escobars of the world, than he does finding/developing young pitchers, resulting in an organization that does not do a good job of finding/developing young pitchers. Gallardo, Stetter and Parra (kinda sorta) in as many years as he's been here is never gonna get it done (unless you can sign FA pitchers the way the bigger market clubs can).

Melvin left all the draft related issues to Jack and his staff.

Well, if he had no involvement or thoughts at all on how the draft impacts the overall makeup of the team/organization, he should be fired immediately.

At least he never gave $42 million to Jeff Suppan.

Perhaps that would not have happened had they drafted and developed some pitchers, instead of apparently concentrating on DHs.

I've liked pretty much every trade Jack Z has made so far. He seems to know how to sell high on perception (see Betancourt, Yuniesky) and buy low on undervalued players (Snell, Ian).

We'll see what happens in a few years when our pitching prospects mature, but for now it seems like Jack Z is better at the trading part of managing.

Why, his poor drafting has put us in the AAA and major league pitching situation we are in now, which is horrible.

He spent very few top draft picks on pitching, but he hit on Gallardo and his position players. He provided Melvin with loads of talent. Melvin says every year that the scouting director should just pick the best talent available.

Unfortunately, Melvin has squandered that talent with his inability to identify and aquire pitching.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Why, his poor drafting has put us in the AAA and major league pitching situation we are in now, which is horrible. Sure he put a nice order in place but pitching is more important and should be the focus of every rebuilding team. That is why the Giants are in playoff contention with a terrible lineup and we are way out with a good lineup.

The Giants are in playoff contention because they score more runs then they allow. The Pirates have been trying to build through pitching for years and have very little to show. I think you'd agree that the Devil Rays have built a pretty good (although further out than we are) without drafting pitching any better than the Brewers. Bottom line is the way to rebuild is to get as many cheap good players as possible and not go all out for 75 wins.

I know we have little homegrown pitching, but we haven't drafted for it as much. If you are running the Brewers in 2002 and trying to turn around a flailing franchise drafting everyday players make sense. The hit rate seems higher (I have no statistical evidence to back this up). Fill out the lineup then try and add in the pitching. The lineup has certainly worked out. The Brewers are far better than they were a few years ago, but they are still missing a few pieces. It's tough to fill out the entire roster organically.

Archived