Brewer Fanatic

Financial Aid.

adamb100

Congrats. That's a huge win.
Yeah, I was pretty happy when I was able to accept just the subsidized loan because my younger sister entered college. I think I got just $400 in grants over my four years.

I was stupid this year/last year and didn't apply for financial aid and paid out of my own pocket. I filled it out this year and got $8600 in grants + another $8000 in loans that I won't need. Man, was I stupid for not filling it out last year. Just remember, UWM will probably charge $3900 a semester($3700 if your parents don't make about $60,000 a year).

Ugh.... all I got offered was a $5500 unsub. stafford loan. My parents can't afford to help out much more than food. That still leaves a large gap between UW Madison's 20 grand a year expenses and what I have to pay for it. Hello loans.

My parents always paid my tuition (of course, back then, it was like 3 shiny rocks per semester), but I worked 35-75 hours a week to pay rent and the other bills. One year, my roommate applied and got several thousand in grants for the year, so he suggested I do the same. I was told I made too much money, and only qualified for loans.

You can make your own judgments about the system.

Archived