Brewer Fanatic

Suppan to be checked out by a doctor (Reply #38ish: Placed on 15-day DL)

jwill535

Kevorkian?
Is it bad that I laughed at that?.... Hopefully they can find SOMETHING.....ANYTHING wrong with Suppan that can fix his woes, his last couple outings have been awful. I'm just trying to be optimistic.

Community Moderator
I thought this post from the JS Brewers blog was excellent: "Sounds like a back problem to me, maybe whiplash. Snapping the head around tracking home run balls can put a strain on the spine! Send him to the chiropractor!"

Butler is still on the DL isn't he?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Might as well put him on the DL. Probably like last year when he got hurt and didn't say anything, and in the process cost us games. If he's hurt Doug really does need to trade for a pitcher, or we'll have automatic losses in 2 rotation spots instead of 1. Although Soup has been an automatic loss lately.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Cody? Wright? Wright? It's just hard to expect much out of these guys (except for Cody), when they have been significantly worse than Burns was in AAA...It's pretty amazing the lack of depth in this organization...What's Odalis Perez doing right now?

I'd let Villanueva and Dillard both move into the rotation and promote Wooten for the pen. We really don't have a long guy now, though. Too bad we can't do the minor league paper transactions that Mass has documented so well.

Per Witrado:

"We just got word between innings that Jeff Suppan has a left oblique strain, revealed by a MRI today. He will be re-evaluated on Thursday by team physician William Raasch. If he goes down for a while, kiss the season goodbye. I know he hasn't been great, but at least he's a body. With as many holes as this rotation already has, they can't even afford to lose a bad pitcher."

Great point, Stevo. I hope the lengthy discussions the F.O. braintrust has been having of late have included really analyzing internal SP options (like Cody, for example). I am definitely not in agreement that losing Suppan will be the nail in the coffin Witrado asserted. I'd really even be open to them stretching Villy out at the MLB level, since he looked quite good tonight until pitching past his pitch count limit.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

he really should have stretched before throwing those egg cartons and plastic bottles into the appropriate recycling bins. the way this season is headed, i would very surprised if this wasn't the brewers' last PSA-related injury this year.

on a serious note, if he's hurt, who is going to start in his place? I guess it has to be chris cody or josh butler at this point...

I think it would be Chase Wright. He's already on the 40 man and he's 4-1 with a 3.11 ERA in his last 10 starts.

I am definitely not in agreement that losing Suppan will be the nail in the coffin Witrado asserted.

Generally speaking -- I think this depends on how good you think Suppan really is. We had a pretty heated Suppan discussion at the beginning of the year, and if you are in the camp that Suppan is a serviceable #4-5 MLB starter, then losing Suppan is a big deal, as Witrado asserts.

I sort of guessed that Suppan would end up +5.15 ERA -- While that is not good, I am not willing to hand over Suppan's start to AAA fodder in hopes that they will do better -- given our lack of depth of AAA pitching -- It's weird I admit, but I don't see Suppan getting injured as a positive, or a neutral thing to the Brewers hopes in 2009. I certainly would not think it is not the "last nail" -- but it doesn't help us at all.

If we continue to circle the toilet though, I do see a value in seeing what some of the AAA pitchers can do given the opportunity.

FTJ's got a point. While losing "bad Soup" might have a silver lining, the problem is who pitches whatever innings he misses.

For those who hung out on Brewerfan in 2006 and remember the "Wheel of Relievers"...the 2009 Brewers appear to be entering a "Wheel of Starters" phase.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Well the good news is that Dillard is better then Suppan, but the bad news is his tRA+ is still 77 (Or 77% of ML Average Pitcher). It's 10 points higher then Suppans and 11 points higher then Looper.

Archived