Brewer Fanatic

If the Brewers pursue a free agent pitcher....

If the need was for another potential starter, I would probably take Armas (and hope Maddux could work with him) or Trachsel. With Trachsel, I'd probably put him as the swing man in the bullpen. But, like Brian said, I'd rather stick Villanueva or Jackson out there than any of them

Jackson has atleast shown some poise on the mound, to prove he deserves a chance at a spot. My guess is that that Sheets, Capuano, Bush, Villaneuva, Vargas will be the starting 5 as of right now, but that can change in spring training.

My personal opinion is that we should go after an arm in the pen instead, because the rotation because the FA options are not as good as what we got.

If I were forced to choose between the three I would have to pick Steve Trachsel. I also agree it should be no more than a one year contract, maybe with a club option for a second year. I know we have young pitchers that are knocking on the door but it would be nice to have a veteran guy out there that we can count on for 12 or 13 wins.

I look for Melvin to wait until all staffs are basically filled up, then look at what's left and if any are worth bringing to camp, sign them to a minor league deal.

I'd also expect some teams to either non-tender or release some players that might interest Melvin. For instance the Cubs really have no spot for Wade Miller anymore. Wait for him to be released and put in a claim.

Archived