Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Tuesday, July 28th

i think a lot of his question marks were answered so far this year, he keeps progressing in a positive direction, while slowing building up his stamina as he's just missed the past 2 full seasons, i love the approach they've used for Rogers so far this year, and it sounds like his mechanics are much improved and that he's learned "how to pitch"

of course, it will answer a lot more question once he gets a taste of AA to see how he does there (i'm guessing that won't be until next year however)

Pogo's right. Mark's only barely thrown 40 innings this year. I'm thrilled for his success, but he's generally gone through the order more than 1 time only just recently. That's going to prop up his numbers a bit. I completely understand the direction the Brewers' medical staff has taken with Rogers this year, but hopefully he'll get the opportunity to pitch untethered next year. We can certainly be encouraged by the radar readings though.

the problem with rogers is the pitch count...clearly, he's on a schedule, so you can't use him out of the pen in any traditional sense and the fact that he can only go 3-4 innings means he's not really a starter...yeah, he's got huge potential, but all the question marks remain...

I think Rogers surving the jump to 70 pitches is a huge improvement. You can't get by gassing it out like a reliever through 70 pitches. I think the jump from 50 to 70 pitches is bigger than the jump from 70-90. At 90, you can work deep enough into games, especially when you dominate like Rogers.

I wonder if Rogers will pitch in the AFL. If so, we might see him jumped to AA before August 1st, for eligibility. They did that last year with Periard and Jeffress.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Pretty amazing that Rogers and Mike Jones might both have worked themselves back onto the prospect radar screen by the end of the season.

What in the world has Brent Brewer done to warrant being placed in the #3 spot in the lineup?

Hopefully Aguilar has righted the ship, and it would be nice to see him back in AA.

All Game Summaries coming prior to the AM.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Helena comes back to tie it up in the 9th, tune in!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

You know I agree about trying to keep Rogers healthy and a pitch count but what I do disagree about is pulling him during a perfect game. It may not mean much when he is in the majors but to him it probably does. When I pitched I was never good enough to pitch a no hitter but if I was and got pulled during I'd be so disappointed because it really is special. I don't care if he would have gone out in the 5th and gave up a hit and got pulled but he didn't even get that chance. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif well Rogers and Jones keep it up!

Jones needs needs to get promoted, hes isn't a prospect really anymore but I'd take him over everyone in AAA beside maybe Cody. The guy has work so hard and been though so much, let him move up and finally try to prove himself in AAA and make the bigs. I'm happy that he resigned and wanted to stay a Brewer and prove himself and I'd like to see him in Milwaukee next year sometime.

Final: New Orleans Zephyrs (Marlins) 6, Nashville 1

Nashville Site Game Summary:

NASHVILLE - The Nashville Sounds began their homestand on the short end of a 6-1 loss to the New Orleans Zephyrs on Tuesday evening at Greer Stadium in the opener of a four-game series.

The loss was the sixth in the last seven games for the first-place Sounds (55-48). The victory was New Orleans' third in a row following a 13-game losing streak for the Z's.

Nashville second baseman Hernan Iribarren went 3-for-4 on the night to account for nearly half of the club's seven knocks.

The game started following a 33-minute rain delay. New Orleans took a 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning when Manny Mayorson drew a bases-loaded walk from Nashville starter Lindsay Gulin to plate Dave Matranga.

The Sounds evened the score in the bottom of the frame against Zephyrs reliever Jay Buente, who had replaced injured starter Clay Hensley. Nashville batters produced three straight one-out singles, the last of which by Joe Koshasky brought home Hernan Iribarren from second with the tying run.

AUDIO: Joe Koshansky RBI Single

Hensley departed after only one inning of work after suffering a left groin strain while warming up to start his second frame of action.

Gulin's wildness haunted him again in the third when the left-hander walked the bases loaded to open the frame then, after inducing a grounder that forced a runner at the plate, walked Matranga to force in Andy Gonzalez.

Reliever Matt Ginter took over on the hill and worked out of his inherited one-out, bases-loaded jam by inducing an inning-ending double play grounder from Buente.

Gulin (5-7) took the loss after he walked a season-high nine batters in his 2 1/3 innings, allowing two runs on one hit during his shortest outing of the year.

Z's right fielder Jai Miller increased the visitors' lead to 3-1 in the top of the fifth with a two-out solo homer off the clubhouse building in right-center. The blast, which came against Ginter, was his ninth of the year.

New Orleans finished off the night's scoring with three eighth-inning runs off Ryan Houston. John Raynor and Mayorson offered RBI singles before Cameron Maybin added a sacrifice fly.

Buente (3-0) picked up the win in relief for New Orleans. He allowed one run on four hits in three innings of work.

The clubs continue the series with a 12 p.m. matinee on Wednesday afternoon at Greer Stadium. Left-hander Chris Narveson (3-3, 3.91) will make the start for the Sounds to face New Orleans southpaw Andrew Miller (0-1, 11.57).

Nashville Box Score

Salome absent again, this just hasn't been his year. Another dismal offensive performance by this club, Escobar and Gamel go 0 fer... Gamel Ks twice. His Ks this season are a little bit unnerving for me personally. Gulin as noted above was atrocious but somehow limited the damage to 2 runs after walking 9 in 2.1 IP. Axford with a clean inning though he walked a batter, hopefully his peripherals fall back in line with what he was doing earlier in the season.

Nashville Game Log

- Plato

- Plato

Final: Brevard County 4, Fort Myers (Twins) 1

Miracle Site Summary:

July 28, 2009 - FORT MYERS -- Mark Rogers was perfect in his four innings and the Fort Myers Miracle offense never got going in Tuesday's 4-1 loss to the Brevard County Manatees.

Rogers, who was a first round pick of Milwaukee in 2004, is averaging about two and a half innings per start this season after missing the last two full seasons due to injury. On a strict pitch count, Rogers left the game despite having retired all twelve batters he faced. Rogers went four innings with four strikeouts before giving way to lefty Lucas Luetge.

Luetge (5-5) logged four frames with four hits, one unearned run, one walk, and three strikeouts. Omar Aguilar recorded his fourth save in the ninth.

Tyler Robertson (5-7) turned in a strong outing of seven innings with seven hits, three earned runs, one walk, and six strikeouts. Henry Arias allowed one run in an inning of work while Loek van Mil worked a perfect ninth with one strikeout.

Allan de San Miguel had the only RBI on a single in the fifth inning. Fort Myers managed just four hits against Brevard County.

Eric Farris was 3-for-4 for the visitors, while Logan Schafer went 2-for-4.

Santos Arias gets the ball in the series finale on Wednesday at 7:05 p.m.

Brevard County Box Score

As noted in the summary Farris and Schafer with nice days at the plate. Gindl went 1 for 2 with 2 BBs. Wheeler finally starting to get it going after one of the longer slumps of the season, batting .406 over his last 10 games. He went 1 for 4 with a 2B today... I have no idea why Brewer would be batting 3rd, but it's all good in a win. Luetge isn't pronounced like one would think, I have no idea how to spell it out phonetically, but I was surprised to hear the Fort Meyers announcer pronounce his name. Lots of discussion above about Rogers, this was obviously his best outing in 3 years. Rogers earned this nod

Brevard County Recap

- Plato

- Plato

Final: Fort Wanye (Padres) 4, Wisconsin 2

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

FORT WAYNE, IN - The Fort Wayne TinCaps rode the pitching of Simon Castro and the bat of Blake Tekotte to a 4-0 lead and held on for a 4-2 win over the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Tuesday at Parkview Field. The TinCaps picked up win #70 on the season with the victory.

Tekotte gave the TinCaps (70-31 overall, 25-6 second half) a lead right away in the bottom of the first. He drilled the second pitch from Rattlers starting pitcher Wily Peralta over the wall in right for a lead off homer and 1-0 Fort Wayne lead.

Castro held on to that lead for five innings. The Midwest League leader in strikeouts allowed one hit and struck out nine without giving up a run. Castro now has 119 strikeouts on the season.

Peralta struggled with control and walked six in four innings, but only allowed the homer to Tekotte before leaving the game.

Fort Wayne added a run in the bottom of the seventh. Tekotte reached on an infield single against Evan Frederickson. He was sacrificed to second and stole third base. After an intentional walk to Jaff Decker put runners at the corners, Justin Baum drove in Tekotte with a sacrifice fly for a 2-0 lead.

Then, the eighth inning showed the difference between a team that has lost 11 of their last 13 games and a team that won its 70th game of the season.

In the top of the eighth inning, Wisconsin (47-53, 13-17) got a chance with two outs against Fort Wayne reliever Nick Schumacher. He hit John Delaney in the helmet with an 0-2 pitch. Delaney walked off the field under his own power and was replaced by pinch runner Pete Fatse. Derrick McPhearson drew a walk to put the tying runs on base. Juan Sanchez worked the count to 3-2, but Schumacher struck out the Rattlers shortstop for the third out.

In the bottom of the eighth, Frederickson got the first two outs, but walked the number eight and nine hitters to bring Tekotte to the plate again. The TinCaps centerfielder blooped in a single to right to drive in a run. Daniel Robertson followed with an RBI single for a 4-0 lead. Frederickson walked one more batter -- the eleventh of the night by a Rattlers pitcher -- to load the bases with two outs before being replaced by Nick Tyson. Those two runs were huge.

Erik Komatsu and Brett Lawrie started the bottom of the ninth inning with singles against Fort Wayne closer Brad Brach in a non-save situation. Corey Kemp doubled to drive in both runners and bring the tying run to the plate. Brach strangled the Timber Rattlers rally with a strikeout, a fly out, and a strikeout to close out the game.

Four Fort Wayne pitchers combined to strikeout 15 Timber Rattlers. Rattlers pitchers walked 11 TinCaps batters.

Game two of the series is Wednesday morning. RJ Seidel (0-0, 2.08) gets the start for Wisconsin. Stiven Osuna (8-6, 3.84) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the TinCaps. Game time is 10:05am CDT.

Wisconsin Box Score

As ugly as you would guess from the summary. Peralta and Frederickson combine for 11 BBs, Peralta has walked 13 batters in his last 3 outings covering 12.1 IP. Frederickson has walked 8 batters in his last 6.2 IP. No multihit games and only 1 XBH, the double by Kemp. This club has been struggling in all facets of the game lately.

Wisconsin Game Log

- Plato

- Plato

Final: Helena 5, Missoula (D'Backs) 4

Missoula takes 1-game lead in North on road for final 5 games of first half

MISSOULA, MT - The Missoula Osprey and Helena Brewers battled like two teams fighting for a playoff berth when they met for the final time in the first half on Tuesday at Ogren Park Allegiance Field, and 2,058 witnesses to the struggle had to wait until the final out to see who would come out on top.

The Brewers scored twice in the ninth, and added a run in the top of the 11th, to beat the Osprey, 5-4, and snap Missoula's five-game win streak.

The Osprey (19-14) took a 4-2 lead into the top of the ninth, but lost a ninth-inning lead for the first time this season, then could not solve Brewers closer Michael Fiers (1-0), who pitched the final three innings, allowing just one hit while collecting five strikeouts to get the win.

The Osprey snapped a 2-2 tie in the eighth with a leadoff home run by Keon Broxton, his fifth roundtripper of the season, and a RBI single by David Nick.

Helena (17-16) scored in the first, but the Osprey would score on a RBI single by Ramon Castillo in the third inning, and a RBI single by Paul Goldschmidt in the fifth, to take a 2-1 lead.

Miguel Pena gave the Osprey a chance to win the game, thanks to his best start of the season. In five innings of work, Pena allowed three hits and two walks, but surrendered just the first-inning tally and struck out four batters.

Pena combined with Osprey relievers Chase Anderson, Adam Worthington (3-2) and Bradin Hagens to strike out 13 Brewers. Missoula pitching fanned 24 Brewers in the two-game series.

The Osprey had 12 hits, but also stranded 12 baserunners in the setback. Castillo finished with three of the Missoula hits, while Bobby Stone and Errol Hollinger each had two safeties.

The Osprey will now head out on a five-game road trip to close out the first half of play, beginning with a two-game series at Billings against the Mustangs. Left-hander Keny Sosa will get the start for the Osprey on Wednesday, while the Mustangs will counter with right-hander Tom Crabbe.

The Osprey will open the second half of the 2009 season at home on Monday against the Helena Brewers. Tickets for any remaining game this season can be obtained for all Osprey home games by calling the Osprey at (406) 543-3300, stopping by the Osprey Team Store at 412 W. Alder, or ordering online at www.missoulaosprey.com.

Helena Box Score

Very entertaining comeback win for the H-Crew, after the 3R HR put the Nationals up big I switched to Steve for his call of the game. Maybe it's Steve's influence but Mike Brownstein is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. Garfield goes yard, what an excellent pick he was... The top of the lineup with Prince and Brownstein continues to produce, Prince with a single and 3 BBs, Brownstein with 3 singles. Krieger has big power, but his lines remind of Katin, he had a 2B to go with 4 Ks on the evening. Paciorek who's mostly struggled in his career with a big evening, 3 hits including a double. Krestalude pitched well, but Fiers was dominant once again picking up the win with 1 hit vs 5 Ks over his 3IP, and he blew the side away in the 11th.

Helena Game Log

Helena Top 9th

• Pitcher Change: Adam Worthington replaces Chase Anderson.
  • Defensive Substitution: Henry Zaballa replaces right fielder Bobby Stone, batting 3rd, playing right field.
  • Cameron Garfield homers (2) on a fly ball to left field.
  • Shawn Zarraga walks.
  • Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Cutter Dykstra replaces Shawn Zarraga.
  • Joseph Paciorek grounds into a force out, shortstop David Narodowski to second baseman David Nick. Cutter Dykstra out at 2nd. Joseph Paciorek to 1st.
  • Chadwin Stang strikes out swinging.
  • With Joshua Prince batting, Joseph Paciorek advances to 2nd on defensive indifference.
  • Joshua Prince walks.
  • Mike Brownstein singles on a fly ball to left fielder Keon Broxton. Joseph Paciorek scores. Joshua Prince to 3rd. Mike Brownstein to 2nd on the throw.
  • Scott Krieger strikes out swinging.

Helena Top 11th

• Cutter Dykstra walks.
  • Joseph Paciorek singles on a ground ball to shortstop David Narodowski. Cutter Dykstra to 2nd.
  • Chadwin Stang hits a sacrifice bunt. Throwing error by third baseman Raywilly Gomez. Cutter Dykstra to 3rd. Joseph Paciorek to 2nd. Chadwin Stang to 1st.
  • Pitcher Change: Bradin Hagens replaces Adam Worthington.
  • Joshua Prince grounds into a force out, third baseman Raywilly Gomez to catcher Errol Hollinger. Cutter Dykstra out at home. Joseph Paciorek to 3rd. Chadwin Stang to 2nd. Joshua Prince to 1st.
  • Mike Brownstein out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Henry Zaballa. Joseph Paciorek scores. Chadwin Stang to 3rd. Joshua Prince to 2nd.
  • Scott Krieger strikes out swinging.

Missoula Bottom 11th

• David Narodowski strikes out swinging.
  • Henry Zaballa strikes out swinging.
  • Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Alan Santiago replaces Adonys Canelo.
  • Alan Santiago strikes out swinging.

- Plato

- Plato

Final: DSL O's/Brewers 7, DSL Red Sox 3

DSL O's/Brewers Box Score

So I admit, this is the first DSL box score I've looked at in weeks, this Link Report is likely part of a grand conspiracy spearheaded by Mass to force me to care about the DSL. I have a hard time getting excited about kids that aren't even states yet, though I do recognize some former AZ Brewers on the roster. Abreu with a hit going 1-4 but that's a pretty uninspiring average he's carrying thus far, .186. Javier was the DH, he continues his impressive stint in the DSL going 2 for 3 with a BB, I say bump him to AZ to help that offensively challenged team, and challenge him a bit.. No Arias today, I'm somewhat disappointed he was bounced all the way down to the DSL. Linares picks up another S, I'd like him to walk less batters and strike out more, a 28:19 K:BB ratio isn't all that impressive in 38.2 IP.

DSL O's/Brewers Game Log

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hey, can I recruit talent or what? Nice job, TheCrew07.

I almost volunteered for the DSL box, that is an unfair assignment. Actually Hitaniel Arias did play, 2-for-4 at first base. Eliezer Montano and Jamie King also pitched, but as TC07 noted, Edwin Linares has been the focal point of this relief staff all season.

Thanks again for a job well done.

Look for Wednesday's thread to begin fairly early as we have Timber Rattler and Sound action to distract us from thinking about the big league abomination.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Montgomery Advertiser:

Double Drew Andersons were once teammates

By A. Stacy Long

Huntsville's Drew T. Anderson and now-former Biscuit Drew M. Anderson first dealt with confusion over their names as minor-league teammates.

The Andersons played together in the Cincinnati system and, once in a major-league spring game, hit back-to-back in the lineup.

Fans sometimes presented one with the other's card for a signature.

"A lot of times, I'd just sign them because it gets old," Drew T. said.

Drew T. said he was looking forward to a reunion this week, but the Rays demoted Drew M. from the Biscuits to Class A Charlotte on Monday.

With the Reds, coaches and teammates used each Drew's size as an identifier. The 6-foot-2 Drew T. was known as "Big Drew" and 5-foot-9 Drew M. as "Little Drew."

Stars manager taught while away from game

Stars manager Bob Miscik is back in professional baseball this season after spending the previous two years as a teacher.

Miscik, with 26 years of baseball experience, taught science in Florida and helped a friend who was a high school baseball coach. Miscik has a state championship ring to prove it from Venice High's 2007 title.

"I helped him as a volunteer for years, before spring training and in the fall after the season, and I already knew all the players," Miscik said. "It was a special time, a happy time."

Miscik said he liked teaching, but "baseball was my first choice." He mainly taught seventh- and eighth-grade science.

"I have a lot of respect for teachers," he said. "It's an honorable profession, but I didn't feel it was something I wanted to do for the next 15-18 years of my career."

Miscik, after a nine-year playing career in the minors, began coaching in 1990. From 1997-2006, he was the minor-league field coordinator for the Texas Rangers and Cincinnati Reds.

You guys need to listen to me. I have said it all along Mark is a legitimate starter. He will get stronger as he gets deeper into the games. I have watched Mark pitch since he was 8 years old in Harpswell Maine as Bambino. The first two innings of a game were always when he would find himself. The year Mark was drafted he was sold on on one start in Augusta Maine where he went 10 innings throwing a total of 127 pitches giving up 1 hit and his highest recorded velocities (101mph and 102mph) were in the 9th and 10th innings. I see all over this message board that people see him as a reliever. That would be the biggest waste for a kid with the talent that Mark has. You guys have not seen him work deep into a game. You do not what type of competitor he is. In fact you have only seen or heard of three pitches. A fastball, slider and change up. Wait until he breaks out the curveball. That is his best pitch. It is a 12 to 6 hammer that will be his strike out pitch. So as far as seeing the order through a few times I can almost guarantee that it will not be an issue. I guess my point is that he is a starter, he is legitimate, and he is going to be in the major leagues. Just wait until deep into some games you will all see that he is a stud.

The problem is that when he went deep into games a couple seasons ago, he got injured...which is why some see him as a reliever...he's only thrown 40 innings this season...he'll need to be able to throw 180 to start in the majors...that's a huge gulf

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Missoula Osprey David Narodowski, right, eludes the tag of Helena second baseman Mike Brownstein in the bottom of the third inning Tuesday at Ogren-Allegiance Park. Narodowski would later score.

Photo by MICHAEL GALLACHER/Missoulian

http://www.missoulian.com/content/articles/2009/07/29/sports/sports01.jpg

He was injured due to a change in mechanics and arm slot. Not every pitcher throws the same. He was not injured due to innings. Now he and the organization have reached a happy medium where they are both happy. His arm is strong, he feels great, he is stronger than he has ever been both physically and mentally. Plenty of pitchers have had surgery and came back strong, especially starting pitchers. I can certainly understand why people could feel this way not knowing Mark's strengths and progress throughout this post surgery. I on the other hand do. I am just saying a prediction and you can feel free to quote me on it later. He will be a very successful starter in the Majors. They just need to let him throw. I also wanted to make a correction to a previous post I had made. I was incorrect in saying that his pitch count is at 70 it is only at 60. I apologize for this misunderstanding but I wanted to make everyone aware that he has become much more economical with his pitch count.

Archived