Brewer Fanatic

2009-07-27 Nationals (Stammen) at Milwaukee (Suppan) : 7:05 PM CT [Brewers lose, 14-6]

I'm just trying not to make a big deal out of this. I guess I was venting a little in the previous post, but nothing like "I hate this team" or "sell sell sell!".

I imagine those guys are going out and playing as well as they can, but they've just been making too many mistakes. It doesn't help that we're a small market club and we don't have an unlimited amount of money to just go "buy" players from other teams. But then again, if baseball worked that way, the Yankees would be winning every single World Series. Too bad they haven't accomplished that for almost a decade. The Rays, a year removed from being one of the worst in the league, turned into one of the best. Baseball is an amazing sport, and you just can't get worked up over this stuff.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm tired of the negativity. This is starting to look a lot like a vent thread, and last I checked we don't have those anymore. Losing one game to the Nationals doesn't break your season. The Nationals have won 30 games this season...they're not an automatic victory. They're coming in on a 2-game winning streak (for them, that's the equivalent of about a 6-game win streak to a .500 team). There are 3 more games to play. The offense looks good tonight. The pitching probably won't be great tomorrow. The Cardinals have the Dodgers to worry about and the Cubs and Astros are beating themselves up now.

Why again, with the month-long stretch of games we have, can't we make a run? If we make a move or two within the next 3 days, we can make a run. I'm not saying an automatic World Series run, but you never know what could happen in the game of baseball, much less any sport. I agree this isn't a great team due in part to a really crappy pitching staff. The front office needs to make some pretty long strides to make the pitching better in the off-season. Can we get a free agent list somewhere?

It's not negativity as much as it is a reflection of the team's recent play. Sure, it's possible the team may suddenly turn things around but I think the point the consensus is making is that there's absolutely no indication in the team's play to suggest they will. Getting blown out at home to the worst team in baseball is not a good sign. Other than sheer blind optimism, there is no basis for expecting a turnaround.

If tonight's game doesn't warrant a players-only postgame clubhouse meeting, I can't imagine what would. Team leaders need to step forward. Now.

Yep, those work

We could of easily kept Kapler and Branyan pretty easily. Too much deadweight on this team like Bill Hall, Jody Gerut, etc.
No we couldn't have kept Branyan pretty easily at all. Branyan wanted playing time and the Brewers couldn't guarantee him that. I believe Branyan's 3B playing time is long gone and he is a 1B now and for the rest of his career. Branyan just is not an everyday 3B anymore and with Gamel in the wings the Brewers didn't want to have Branyan taking that spot over Gamel. Plus the Brewers would have had to overpay for Branyan which would may have resulted in the Brewers not getting Hoffman. Now you have problems with your bullpen and starting rotation because the Brewers probably don't pick up Looper either if they bring back both Kapler and Branyan. Overpaying for both because of playing time issues. Now you have Burns/Dillard/ or whoever starting instead of Looper.

It is easy to say Melvin should of had resigned those two and then be done with it. You need to look at what else would have happened because of resigning those two.

This isn't a vent thread - the team has played like crap for a month, some of us were still holding out hope.......... then the worst team in baseball comes into Miller Park and puts up 13 runs in 2 innings......... maybe it's a knee jerk reaction, but I just don't see any reason to think this team can turn things around and be a legit contender down the stretch, even if they make a trade in the next few days.

They should sell at this point.

None of these guys Burns,Swindle,Smith Naverson should be on a major league roster.

I am Leaning to Villy and Soup as the next two. What horrible Pitching in the Upper levels of the Minor league Syestem.

Pleas doug make some trades to add some Pitching Prospect the the Upper level.

We could of easily kept Kapler and Branyan pretty easily. Too much deadweight on this team like Bill Hall, Jody Gerut, etc.
No we couldn't have kept Branyan pretty easily at all. Branyan wanted playing time and the Brewers couldn't guarantee him that. I believe Branyan's 3B playing time is long gone and he is a 1B now and for the rest of his career. Branyan just is not an everyday 3B anymore and with Gamel in the wings the Brewers didn't want to have Branyan taking that spot over Gamel. Plus the Brewers would have had to overpay for Branyan which would may have resulted in the Brewers not getting Hoffman. Now you have problems with your bullpen and starting rotation because the Brewers probably don't pick up Looper either if they bring back both Kapler and Branyan. Overpaying for both because of playing time issues. Now you have Burns/Dillard/ or whoever starting instead of Looper.

It is easy to say Melvin should of had resigned those two and then be done with it. You need to look at what else would have happened because of resigning those two.

I thought I remembered hearing Branyan wanted to come back but Melvin was never interested. Russ is making 1.4 million and Kapler is making 1 mil if I remember correctly so I don't think money was the issue.

On that note, looking more closley at some of the numbers, you could argue that the Nats offense really isn't that much worse than the Brewers. They've score more runs than every team in teh Central other than MIL and STL.

What is there to be positive about..... the worst team in baseball scored more runs than they have in any other game this season.

So glad I didn't drive 2 hours each way tonight for the game

Take the 25 man roster and announce that 22 are for sale.
My thoughts exactly.

Also along the lines of silver lining: thank the Lord we've gone through this stretch pre-trade deadline and not after we made a stupid trade to attempt to improve this team

Archived