Brewer Fanatic

CV to start on Tuesday

sargennm

Just reported on Homer's show on 540. Will add link when I see confirmation elsewhere.

EDIT: I haven't seen it elsewhere, but Macha made the announcement in his pregame presser. He said, "Our people believe he gives us the best chance to win."

EDIT, Part 2: TH's blog on the matter

Macha said he waited until today to announce Villanueva because he might have been used out of the bullpen over the weekend for extended innings against the Braves. Instead, Villanueva pitched one inning of relief Friday and surrendered the decisive home run to Chipper Jones in a 9-4 loss.

"Our problem has been getting behind early in games," said Macha. "We're hoping he'll give us three or four innings and we'll get him out of there with the lead.

"Dillard is limited in his pitches. He's got a sinker and slider. His secondary pitches are not as refined. We're looking at who we put out there. The other options we tried (including Mike Burns and Seth McClung) didn't work out."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the pitching staff is now a bunch of guys who can go maybe 3 innings, book-ended by Gallardo and Hoffman?

(I know it's not that simple, but it is sounding more and more like 80% of the games will be pitched by Johnny Wholestaff.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Sure didn't see that coming. I guess if he's not going to be effective in the pen, maybe a set of 5 innings can get him going. He's always wanted to be a starter. Pitching against the Nats is like making a start at Nashville.

I'm really trying to convince myself here...not sure it's working.

(love your new sig hawing)

ouch, at least he is facing the worst team in the league

The problem is that their offense is far from pitiful...they have a few guys who can really hurt you if you throw meatballs, as Villa's been prone to lately. I would've preferred to see Dillard get the start, but perhaps they'll just piggyback the two.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

This is what I wanted done a while ago. I thought we gave up on him too soon last year. I am cautiously optimistic here that he'll be reborn as a starter. He had no trouble in the minors and had shown he can get major league hitters out. Macha just needs to know to cut the cord on him after a solid five innings if he gets it for him.

In the words of Al, Oof. Villanueva gives us the best chance to win? That is a joke right? If he gives us the best chance to win we are royally screwed. I really wanted to see Dillard get at least one shot at it, not the guy with the ERA over 6 who has stunk up the joint lately.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Perhaps he's being showcased for a potential trade? Some other club wants to see how he'd look as a starter?

Regardless, Villy's one of my favorite Brewers so I'll be pulling extra hard for him tomorrow.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

His secondary pitches are not as refined.

CV's secondary pitches are crushed.

His Curve Ball sure does, I still like his change.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Villy's peripherals aren't great this year, but they certainly aren't terrible (8.04 K/9, 3.30 BB/9, 1.24 HR/9), and given the other options, I don't have much of a problem with this. There simply aren't many other viable options, other than Dillard, who hasn't exactly mowed down AAA hitters this year.

This again makes no sense. The way Macha talked about Dillard, he makes him sound like he's better used as a reliever. Then why was he turned back into a starter this year?

Not that I'm all that excited about Dillard starting either--his k/bb ratio is as bad as McClung's, but in the minors. It's just that they are pulling a Brandon Morrow on him, which isn't good for anyone.

Archived