Brewer Fanatic

Reds are sellers --- Harang and Arroyo plus others...

Harang is still pretty good. He's due $12.5 million in 2010. If he is traded during his contract 2011 becomes a mutual option at $13 million. If he's terrible he'll almost certainly take it.

Arroyo makes $11 million 2010 and 2011. There's a team option for 2011, so if he's not worth it they can decline.

Harang would be nice to get but the price would be concerning with the Reds. Harang is due $12.5m in 2010 with an option for 2011 at $14m that becomes mutual with a $2.5m buyout.

I'm not sure what the Reds would be looking for in return and it all depends on wether the Reds are looking for MLB ready pitching which the Brewers don't have or positional players that the Brewers do have. Escobar and Gamel are probably out of the question. Without knowing the Reds farm system I'm not sure what they are looking for. I'm guessing they are looking for a MLB ready SS and 3B. The OF looks a little bleak after Bruce. If the Brewers could get Harang without giving up Gamel, Lawrie, Escobar, or Braddock I would be fine with that but that contract is a lot to take on for the Brewers.

considering what the brewers spent on Soup and offered CoCo, I'd take Harang in a heartbeat with that contract. I think that would be worth giving away a top prospect as well, and would expect him to be no worse than a Type B free agent, making his value pretty good. The Brewers need to fix their starting pitching, and not just this year. It will be a recurring theme next year and the year after. Harang would solidify the rotation for a couple of years.

Harang for Hall plus a prospect would be "fair", but the Reds might just be asking for the moon due to the price of pitching right now.
They'd be right to, if you ask me.

How about Mat Gamel, Angel Salome and Bill Hall to the Reds for Aaron Harang, Edinson Volquez, and Ramon Ramirez OR as an alternative, Harang and Homer Bailey?

No thanks on dealing Gamel, Clancy. He and Escobar are untouchable.
Even if it nets the Crew Volquez for four years?

Gallardo, Harang, Volquez, Parra, Suppan for 2010. And by 2011, Arnett and Cody would replace Harang and Suppan in the rotation.

Look at what Volquez has done pitching half his games in The Great American Bandbox - I mean Ballpark. Not shabby.

Then consider he's under control for three years or so. Tack on Ramon Ramirez, who could be a back-of-the-rotation guy or depth, and also under team control for a bit...

Yeah, it's not a horrible trade idea, but they probably don't do it anyway. But I'd like to keep Braun and Fielder and surround them with Gamel and Escobar as opposed to any other two players in our system. I think these four, along with the injured Weeks, are the ones that will help us get to the next level. And I also will have to look up Ramirez, as I know nothing about him.

Yeah, it's not a horrible trade idea, but they probably don't do it anyway. But I'd like to keep Braun and Fielder and surround them with Gamel and Escobar as opposed to any other two players in our system. I think these four, along with the injured Weeks, are the ones that will help us get to the next level. And I also will have to look up Ramirez, as I know nothing about him.
Here's Ramirez:

http://www.baseball-refer...layers/r/ramirra03.shtml

More of a #4/#5 type, I'd suspect, but you can never have too much depth. A shorter stint earlier was pretty darn good, so he might be a sleeper.

Volquez and Ramirez for three or four years + Taylor Green at third would be better than Gamel over the long haul.

I was about to come here and lobby against Harang because I knew he had been struggling a bit, but good thing I checked his numbers first. He's been extremely unlucky this year. 3.67 k/bb is a great number. I'd be interested in Harang, but I'd be surprised to see Cinci trade him within the division.

Harang would be a really good acquisition, and getting out of Cincy might save his career. He just hasn't been the same since dusty started running his arm into the ground.

A package centered around Salome/Lucroy and supplemented by a lower level pitcher like Anundsen or Odorizzi would seem to be sufficient given his contract and recent performance.

Harangs decline has coincided with Dick Pole taking over as the Reds pitching coach. Pole is the guy that wouldn't let Todd Coffey throw his sinker. I wonder if they're limiting the use of Harang's sinker. The decline in Harang's ERA seems to be caused by a decrease in his GB%.

He's someone the Brewers need to take a closer look at. Cole Gillespie would have been a good fit for the Reds, too bad he was dealt in an unnessecary move. I don't know who else we could send them that would be immediate help. Taylor Green would fit them well down the line.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived