Brewer Fanatic

Felipe Lopez and his future

barbados73
Escobar is one option at 2B
If Escobar is up it means Hardy is gone(other than Sept.) and Escobar would be the best defensive ss on the team by far, regardless of who they bring in. There would be no point in Escobar ever playing an "easier" postion.

He didn't have issues recovering. When he hurt his wrist in 2006, they said it would take a year to completely heal. My guess is that Weeks starts off a little slow and isn't fully recovered until Late May.
I would rather Weeks wait until May before coming back this time and start out in the minors until mid May or until he is completely ready to come back. McGehee, Heether, or Iribarren could play 2B until Weeks is healthy.

Lopez is 29, and nearing the end of his window to get decent money in a multi-year deal. Barring something completely unforeseen, I can't see him accepting a role as a backup as a result of that. If he accepts arby, he does so with the full knowledge that weeks is our 2B, Hardy or Escobar is our SS, and Gamel or MaGehee is our 3B.

That's pretty much my take on it. Last year's uncertainty about the economy kept most teams from spending money, but it's not likely to be that extreme this offseason. Lopez should be able to get a multi-year deal from someone. If Lopez accepts arby, he gets $4-5MM and is stuck in a bench role, meaning he would have almost no chance of getting a decent deal after next season. He could accept, but it would seem like a bad move for him career-wise. If he does accept, he's a great backup. We paid Counsell around $4MM last season, and Graffanino around that a couple years ago. Hall will probably be DFA'd after this season, so having another utility guy along with McGehee wouldn't be the end of the world.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

In addition to being another utility guy, the fact that Lopez's stats favor him facing RHP would complement the RH Weeks, Hardy/Escobar, & McGehee. That said, I agree that Lopez would not likely want to take on a utility/backup role.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That said, I agree that Lopez would not likely want to take on a utility/backup role.

Why wouldn't he if he was going to make $4-5M per year?

Well he is always going to playing for another contract and being a bench player isn't going to help him get more money the next time he is looking for a job.

If I were him and had the opporunity to get a full time job at lets say $3M or a part time job at $5M I might be inclinded to take the $3M if I felt it would do more to build up my value in the future.

That said, I agree that Lopez would not likely want to take on a utility/backup role.

Why wouldn't he if he was going to make $4-5M per year?

If last offseason truly was an anomoly, then he could probably sign a multi-year deal. I'd guess a lot of players (Adam Dunn, Braden Looper, Trevor Hoffman, Pat Burrell) thought they'd get more than they eventually signed for last offseason. Things seem to be turning around in the economy, and if the market (for players, not the stock market) is somewhat closer to normal then he'll have to decide which is better:

1) Take the sure $4-5MM one-year deal, ride the bench and watch your stock plummet, leading to a much lower contract the following season

2) Reject arby, and become a free agent, where you should be able to sign a multi-year deal with much more than $4-5MM guaranteed.

As with everything, there's risk. By offering arby, the Brewers risk having him around another year for $4-5MM. By rejecting arby, Lopez risks the FA market remaining soft, where he may not get the multi-year deal he likely wants.

From the Brewers' standpoint, I would think the risk is minimal. On one side, you get a sandwich pick, on the other, you get a good player on a reasonable one-year deal. From Lopez's standpoint, the risk is somewhat greater, but so is the reward - take the guaranteed money for one year or reject that and either get a lot more guaranteed money in a long-term deal or slightly less guaranteed money in a one-year deal if the market is still soft.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Take the sure $4-5MM one-year deal, ride the bench and watch your stock plummet,

I think that there is a lot of hand-waving in this thread w/o looking at the specific situation. Lopez has been dumped by 3 teams in the last year or so. I really find it hard to believe teams are going to be lining up to give him a multi-year deal.

I think $5M to ride pine, would be a pretty sweet deal for him regarding his baggage.

One element of the Lopez & Gerut acquisitions that I appreciate from Melvin is that both guys are potential long(ish)-term solutions. Both players filled an immediate need, but I like that there's a plan involved beyond a band-aid fix.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

One element of the Lopez & Gerut acquisitions that I appreciate from Melvin is that both guys are potential long(ish)-term solutions. Both players filled an immediate need, but I like that there's a plan involved beyond a band-aid fix.
Connor, as usual you are spot on. Both players could be bridge type players while younger guys like Escobar and Cain get their feet under them.

Diamondbacks fans did not like Lopez. He had a reputation for poor defense and general laziness. That's not the kind of player we should be signing. Let someone else get suckered into giving him a multi-year deal.
I knew there had to be a reason the guy has moved as much as he has.

That laziness bug sounds familiar now that I think of it.

• 3 months later...
I agree, trwi... the pool of teams that don't have to give up a pick to sign him increased from 1 (the Brewers) to 30. The Brewers get slightly hosed on compensation again with Lopez slipping from A to B. But... he's probably worth the money if he comes back so I'd be a little surprised if they didn't offer him arby, especially now.

That's a good point, trwi. I was thinking that, since the Brewers don't really want him back, lessening the potential reward for offering him would decrease their willingness to risk getting Graffanino'd, but you're right, it also increases the chances another team would sign him. I guess I'd have to have a lot more GMs on my speed dial than I do now to accurately gauge the market for him and how this truly affects the Brewers' decision.

Archived