Brewer Fanatic

Felipe Lopez and his future

barbados73
Just wondering what the chances are that Felipe resigns with the Brewers at the end of the season. If Felipe resigns then the Brewers could move Rickie to CF, RF(trade Hart) or 3B if the choose. I would like to see Lopez and Weeks hitting 1 and 2 next season. Any chance?

Well, I believe Lopez can play SS as well. So if we trade Hardy, there's a chance they want a good vet along with Escobar up on the club. I guess I am just saying there's a chance he could be resigned and used as the supersub that Bill Hall was four years ago or so, where he'd get 4-500 ab's. Plus, injuries do happen. I agree that we'll offer him arby but some team will likely give him a starting gig and I don't see where we would really.

I'd really like to see Hardy moved for a pitcher and Lopez kept as an OF/2B/3B/SS. Bring up Escobar/Gamel and keep Lopez as backup. Let Hall, Counsell and Kendall walk. I like Counsell mind you, he is just getting too old for my tastes and I'd like to go another direction next season. Kendall is just dead weight since his defense has slipped so much this year and Hall has been useless for some time now.

Very unlikely he returns, as they have a plethora of INF's, and Felipe will cost way more than a bench guy. I hope they can do a "handshake" deal so Felipe promises not to accept arby, as a $5M deal may be as good as he gets offered, depending on the market.

Arizona parted ways with Lopez because they were fearful that he would accept arbitration. Lopez did not recieve any multi year deals this past off season and he probably won't this off season. DBacks wanted no part of him beyond this year despite not having any 2B to replace him. Feel free to take whatever you want from that.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/NickPiecoro/58200

I'd really like to see Hardy moved for a pitcher and Lopez kept as an OF/2B/3B/SS. Bring up Escobar/Gamel and keep Lopez as backup. Let Hall, Counsell and Kendall walk. I like Counsell mind you, he is just getting too old for my tastes and I'd like to go another direction next season. Kendall is just dead weight since his defense has slipped so much this year and Hall has been useless for some time now.

I agree. The only issue might be who replaces Kendall at catcher, but if worst comes to worst you can have Rivera and Corporan man the position for a year...I'm still hoping Salome defies the odds and has shown the Brewers he's a MLB catcher. I'm on the fence on that one.

Why do so many people want to move Rickie to the OF? It's one thing I guess I don't understand here. There's no guarantee he'll be any good there...just because he has plus speed doesn't make him a good CF. I would imagine he'd be terrible judging a ball off the bat...just a guess. I guess I'd rather have Rickie play 2B at least one more year and see if he can put a full year together with the bat. If he struggles with both the bat and learning a new position, it could be a rough year.

Why do so many people want to move Rickie to the OF? It's one thing I guess I don't understand here. There's no guarantee he'll be any good there...just because he has plus speed doesn't make him a good CF. I would imagine he'd be terrible judging a ball off the bat...just a guess. I guess I'd rather have Rickie play 2B at least one more year and see if he can put a full year together with the bat. If he struggles with both the bat and learning a new position, it could be a rough year.
I also don't understand why people want to move Rickie to the OF. Rickie at times has trouble judging grounders at 2B now imagine Rickie having troubles judging line drives in CF. Instead of at worst there being a double on a misjudged grounder at 2B that double now turns into a triple or an inside the park home run. I just can't see Weeks being good in CF I would rather see Hall in CF again before Weeks is ever put out there.

Community Moderator
Diamondbacks fans did not like Lopez. He had a reputation for poor defense and general laziness. That's not the kind of player we should be signing. Let someone else get suckered into giving him a multi-year deal.

jjhardy7 and nate82, we like Rickie in CF because that was his college position. I believe he was moved to 2b as a college junior to increase his draft stock and fill a team need.

Braun played SS in college...

Risking him accepting arby simply to get a pick is a little too risky. He's a nice piece for this year, but he'd make for an awfully expensive bench player next year. At $4-5mm for Lopez and $1-1.5mm for Counsell, sign me up for Craig. We'll need every last dime to spend on pitching. I'd move Hardy for sure to get some.

Kendall probably needs to go if Salome is reasonably ready, but I think Corporan/Rivera would even worse. Biggest question is what to do with Cam. He really solidifies the D. His bat is inconsistent, but overall better than the average CF. We really have no options unless they move Rickie out there or Hart over. That will really take the D down on a team that has shaky pitching. He's probably a guy I bring back if he'll take a one year deal.

Not sure what you do with Hall. If he can work offseason and play multiple field positions maybe he's worth keeping. We are stuck paying him anyway. I'd like to see Escobar lead off and drop Rickie back in the order. Problem is that wrist took a while to heal last time so he may start slow, but his power was ratcheting up. He may be a better 5/6 hitter than a leadoff.

Lopez is 29, and nearing the end of his window to get decent money in a multi-year deal. Barring something completely unforeseen, I can't see him accepting a role as a backup as a result of that. If he accepts arby, he does so with the full knowledge that weeks is our 2B, Hardy or Escobar is our SS, and Gamel or MaGehee is our 3B.

Kendall probably needs to go if Salome is reasonably ready, but I think Corporan/Rivera would even worse.

Well if you're going to compare Lopez vs. Counsell contracts you might want to do the same at catcher. Kendall is probably the worst or close to it in terms of regulars in regard to slugging percentage. If Kendall comes back cheap, it's a different story. You'd have both Corporan and Rivera for the minimum...and also Salome plays in the mix too. Do you roll with two of those three or pay Kendall? Again, if he comes cheap it's a different story, but I do think he needs to come back cheap or not come back at all.

Lopez is 29, and nearing the end of his window to get decent money in a multi-year deal. Barring something completely unforeseen, I can't see him accepting a role as a backup as a result of that. If he accepts arby, he does so with the full knowledge that weeks is our 2B, Hardy or Escobar is our SS, and Gamel or MaGehee is our 3B.

Very true. I also don't see a problem with him accepting arby. Given the changes that could be made with this team as a whole this off-season Lopez could be starting...who knows. I also think we need to remember that last off-season was unusual for baseball...if the economy is showing signs of life Lopez could get a long-term deal pretty easy IMO.

Weeks' has had issues in the past recovering from a torn sheath in his wrist.

If Weeks' struggles in 2010 - Lopez would be a great back-up plan.

I'd rather spend 5M on Lopez than assume Counsell can maintain his current pace for another year.

I'd rather spend 5M on Lopez than assume Counsell can maintain his current pace for another year.

I see what you are saying -- but there are more options than Counsell and his thunderstick.

Escobar is one option at 2B, so are Taylor Green, Hernan Irribarren, Adam Heether, and Bill Hall (if worse comes to worst).

Weeks' has had issues in the past recovering from a torn sheath in his wrist.

He didn't have issues recovering. When he hurt his wrist in 2006, they said it would take a year to completely heal. My guess is that Weeks starts off a little slow and isn't fully recovered until Late May.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived