Brewer Fanatic

How to blow up a picture...

twobrewers

I have an 8" by 10" photo that I could like to hang above my fireplace as a center piece to my entire living room.

Obviously, the photo isn't big enough to really have an "impact" right now.

I'd like the picture at least doubled in size - and then framed.

Does anyone know how/where I can get this done?

I know you can order larger prints at sites like Shutterfly. But I don't want a big pixeled picture either - I need to maintain the quality.

I've thought of Kinkos - but it seems like they would pretty much offer the same service as shutterfly etc.

A photography store is a really good idea. They would likely care a little more about quality.

Thanks for the input.

It shouldn't matter where you have it done, it is based on the "quality" of the original picture. With good quality pictures I have had a lot of luck with prints of all sizes on line (usually kodakgallery.com).

As long as you get a good scan of the picture, blowing it up shouldn't be a problem (assuming the current picture is of good resolution). I would say have it scanned somewhere (call around, try places like Kinkos as suggested) and have it saved as a digital file (JPEG, TIFF, etc.). Does anyone at your workplace have a scanner? That may be another way to save some money. Be sure to scan at a greater resolution (300-600 dpi) at a greater file size (200% or larger the existing size). If you already have the picture saved digitally, all the better.

Blow it up yourself if you can within some kind of photo editing program (you don't need Photoshop to do that), and then upload the file to Kodak, Walgreens or wherever else you would like to use (I use MPix.com) and order however many pics at the desired size.

If you need help blowing it up, send me a PM.

For framing, try to pick a size that you know you can get a frame for. Go to Target, Wal Mart or Michaels and see what there sizes are. They usually match large-format photograph sizes. This is if you're trying to save some money in the process without having it professionally framed, which is going to cost a few hundred bucks usually. I do it on the cheap all the time, as you can frame a poster sized photo for about $20-30 total on your own.

If you want this photo to be the centerpiece of your living room and you have upsizing issues, one thought would be to create a picture on canvas. I had a photo show opening a few weeks ago and printed my photos on canvas and they came out fabulous. Canvas is a little forgiving on the photos so perhaps that may hide any pixelation issues. a 16X20 should fit the same dimensions

I ordered my prints from this guy: www.customcanvasprinter.com

he is in chicago so the delivery shouldnt take too long or you could arrange a local pickup if you are planning a trip to Chicago.

Archived